Maggie Whiteman Joins Seattle Cascades As Drum Major Consultant

We are thrilled to welcome back Seattle Cascades Alumni Maggie Whiteman as our 2019 Drum Major Consultant. Maggie will be responsible for all aspects of our 2019 Drum Major Program, including our Audition Process, and developing our training program for both Conducting and Student Leadership. Read the rest of the article here.

View the full article

10 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

Drum major consultant???

That’s now a thing?!?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I imagine most corps have someone who focuses on drum major development. ‘Scades just gave the position a name. 

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I imagine most corps have someone who focuses on drum major development. ‘Scades just gave the position a name. 

I'm going to guess the opposite is true for DM development.  I think the brass and percussion staff can find time to assist.  It is getting so  loaded with staff at the upper tiers.  There is almost half as many staffers as there are MM's.  That is if you include all staffers: instructors, designers, coordinators, multitude of techs for cleaning, Op's team, PT team (including doctors for some groups) nutritionist and so on.  It takes a village to move the village.

It may sound like a silly idea on the surface, but as intricate and detailed as putting a show on is at these levels, I don't have any problem with how they choose to use their resources.  

• Like 1

remember there is more to being a drum major than flapping the arms. There's the whole leadership aspect....that kid is the leader of the rest of the kids, and the conduit from staff and admin on a great many things. So the consultant may be more than just an arm flapping coach and more like a leadership coach as well. 

• Like 2

I’ve never seen a drum major before...what do they do?

5 hours ago, Sideways said:

I’ve never seen a drum major before...what do they do?

They are the center snare in a nine person line.  With eight snares, I don't know if they're middle left or right.  They must also be majoring in percussion in college.:doh:

Edited by Ghost
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

remember there is more to being a drum major than flapping the arms. There's the whole leadership aspect....that kid is the leader of the rest of the kids, and the conduit from staff and admin on a great many things. So the consultant may be more than just an arm flapping coach and more like a leadership coach as well. 

But isn't there more than one and at least one or more has experience in their corps?  I mean usually?  So with experience wound a new DM learn from the experienced one?  Is that more typical in most top tier corps?