Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Ream

Annual Meeting and Rules Congress report

Recommended Posts

good to see they are taking training and safety seriously.

 

Minimum performance time is interesting. AWESOME that any non North American corps attending Finals weekend gets to perform in finals regardless of placement. Shame it's 6 years later for Heartliner. and beyond thrilled the Free Players are coming to Williamsport!

http://dcacorps.org/dca-annual-meeting-rules-congress/

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

good to see they are taking training and safety seriously.

 

Minimum performance time is interesting. AWESOME that any non North American corps attending Finals weekend gets to perform in finals regardless of placement. Shame it's 6 years later for Heartliner. and beyond thrilled the Free Players are coming to Williamsport!

http://dcacorps.org/dca-annual-meeting-rules-congress/

 

Very excited about Free Players. They've inspired me with every video I've seen of them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool Heartliners should have been an exhibition corps as they had a entertaining style with a smaller corps. Too bad only the Prelim corps saw a German corps.

Free Players way very cool... 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Free Players and the non-North American corps rule... good stuff!!!

The shorter performance time... my first thought is, it could (should) make it easier for all corps to put a finished product on the field, their first show out. ("Finished product" by early-season standards of course... obviously the shows get better as the summer goes on.) 

Finished products = good news for paying customers at early-season shows. Their money is as green as the cash spent by fans at late-summer shows. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Very cool Heartliners should have been an exhibition corps as they had a entertaining style with a smaller corps. Too bad only the Prelim corps saw a German corps.

Free Players way very cool... 

The A slate was pretty strong when Heartlinerwas here. Many other years that would have made finals. Good folks, great corps.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

it could (should) make it easier for all corps to put a finished product on the field

Something I have been slowly getting upset about, and near a boil over. Sorry, but we should be seeing some kind of complete product by the Hempfield contest from everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigW said:

Something I have been slowly getting upset about, and near a boil over. Sorry, but we should be seeing some kind of complete product by the Hempfield contest from everyone.

with weather like we had this summer, i wasn't upset about it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the best corps continue to put on shows of 10 minutes or more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

with weather like we had this summer, i wasn't upset about it

I know, but after awhile, this has been wearing thin for me over the space of several years. I know, I know, indoor takes x time away, so on and so forth.... but for me- Why am I spending the $$$ and the time on the road when I'm seeing incomplete shows in July? For the folks who it might be the only chance to see their kids, corps, whatever, that's fine. I'm just feeling I'm better off saving my money. I know some corps people have taken umbrage at that when it's been discussed, but even the closest show, which indeed was a July show with at least C2 and Bush incomplete- we're talking somewhere around 50-75 dollars for the drive, food, and ticket. I'm feeling like I've been a fool for awhile about it looking back on it and just spending the dough.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I hope the best corps continue to put on shows of 10 minutes or more.

 

 

Hmm.... I recall a very thoughtful discussion on this with a brass caption head of one of the big DCA units years ago. More content doesn't guarantee a corps a bigger number. In fact... not being succinct means more material to teach... clean... and it doesn't necessarily benefit the competitors that have more. Adjudicators aren't Industrial Engineers Time-Studying the corps. The difference in length would have to be insanely obvious to really make an adjudicator think about more credit for that factor alone. And if that additional content is flawed in some design/structural way at some point.... better off cutting it or not using it.

 

A quick short list of recent shows I didn't wish ended in DCA Open Class/felt were too short, I was that totally involved and absorbed....

Bucs' ConZentric… CV's Chaos Theory and Rythmos… Bush's Pablo... Cab's "Pathway of Remembrance". A pretty short list. And it's not insulting certain shows or certain corps- some shows affect each individual in different ways on that intensely personal level. These really reached me in a very powerful way.

I think being more focused and succinct will mean better quality, more to the point, and also be more energetic. We won't be seeing gassed out units at the ends of programs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.