Annual Meeting and Rules Congress report

20 hours ago, BigW said:

I know, but after awhile, this has been wearing thin for me over the space of several years. I know, I know, indoor takes x time away, so on and so forth.... but for me- Why am I spending the $$$ and the time on the road when I'm seeing incomplete shows in July? For the folks who it might be the only chance to see their kids, corps, whatever, that's fine. I'm just feeling I'm better off saving my money. I know some corps people have taken umbrage at that when it's been discussed, but even the closest show, which indeed was a July show with at least C2 and Bush incomplete- we're talking somewhere around 50-75 dollars for the drive, food, and ticket. I'm feeling like I've been a fool for awhile about it looking back on it and just spending the dough.

look i'd all be for corps having their #### together week 1, but that would require them to be focused, and well planned in the winter and the spring. Bucs have kids and staff and designers involved in TIA, which goes longer than every other indoor circuit out there, and no issues. 

On the other hand, I truly appreciated the approach Bush or C2 took this summer...get out what was ready, add on and clean, and keep detailing as you go. And it worked for both of them. You judge shows in the fall that aren't ready week 1, and often only have the full product out there the week before Chapters. Works for them.

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

look i'd all be for corps having their #### together week 1, but that would require them to be focused, and well planned in the winter and the spring. Bucs have kids and staff and designers involved in TIA, which goes longer than every other indoor circuit out there, and no issues. 

On the other hand, I truly appreciated the approach Bush or C2 took this summer...get out what was ready, add on and clean, and keep detailing as you go. And it worked for both of them. You judge shows in the fall that aren't ready week 1, and often only have the full product out there the week before Chapters. Works for them.

It works, yes, but am I willing to drive out and pay good money to see it in some completed form until later in the season? I'm starting to feel like Charlie Brown when Lucy yanks out the football. Also, not the fault of anyone but the Weather, but when I came back from Nazareth, I was exhausted from 200 miles driving there and back in hard rain, after reading an E-mail that intimated the show would be on in some way or another. I wish they'd have simply cancelled it early. It kind of broke my back on a lot of this. I hope that lesson is learned by DCA for the future- with the electronics and other props, they can only tolerate not very much rain. Don't get people in their cars driving next time.

7 hours ago, BigW said:

It works, yes, but am I willing to drive out and pay good money to see it in some completed form until later in the season? I'm starting to feel like Charlie Brown when Lucy yanks out the football. Also, not the fault of anyone but the Weather, but when I came back from Nazareth, I was exhausted from 200 miles driving there and back in hard rain, after reading an E-mail that intimated the show would be on in some way or another. I wish they'd have simply cancelled it early. It kind of broke my back on a lot of this. I hope that lesson is learned by DCA for the future- with the electronics and other props, they can only tolerate not very much rain. Don't get people in their cars driving next time.

oh i said that 2 years ago with Landsville. You only knew the show was on if you knew people in corps. the DCA PR person was there that night too

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 3:57 AM, BigW said:

Hmm.... I recall a very thoughtful discussion on this with a brass caption head of one of the big DCA units years ago. More content doesn't guarantee a corps a bigger number. In fact... not being succinct means more material to teach... clean... and it doesn't necessarily benefit the competitors that have more. Adjudicators aren't Industrial Engineers Time-Studying the corps. The difference in length would have to be insanely obvious to really make an adjudicator think about more credit for that factor alone. And if that additional content is flawed in some design/structural way at some point.... better off cutting it or not using it.

I would think that is an incentive to go with the shorter show.  LOL.

Heh... 1980 Sunrisers, one of our songs was so bad... just went nowhere... that I wonder if we would have been better off dropping it and taking the undertime penalty all summer. :tongue:

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I would think that is an incentive to go with the shorter show.  LOL.

Heh... 1980 Sunrisers, one of our songs was so bad... just went nowhere... that I wonder if we would have been better off dropping it and taking the undertime penalty all summer. :tongue:

Or back in that era, plugging in something else the corps knew and rolling with it.:satisfied:

7 minutes ago, BigW said:

Or back in that era, plugging in something else the corps knew and rolling with it.:satisfied:

That was not uncommon back then, you're right.  But our 1980 show... there was no quick fix, believe me.  LOL. We went into finals that year less than one point out of third place after prelims... and we considered that a minor miracle. :laughing:

It was just a crazy, bizarre year for us, from beginning to end. Several of the all-time best Sun war stories come from that season... so we did have some fun. LOL

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That was not uncommon back then, you're right.  But our 1980 show... there was no quick fix, believe me.  LOL. We went into finals that year less than one point out of third place after prelims... and we considered that a minor miracle. :laughing:

It was just a crazy, bizarre year for us, from beginning to end. Several of the all-time best Sun war stories come from that season... so we did have some fun. LOL

the issue to me, all pigeons aside was that it tried to recapture 77-78 and be bold and new at the same time...and didnt work

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the issue to me, all pigeons aside was that it tried to recapture 77-78 and be bold and new at the same time...and didnt work

Yeah... that too.  LOL. To some extent, sure. The rainbow capes also... well... put it this way, they sure looked good on paper. :tongue:

It was a rebuilding year for us. New management, new drill writer, numerous new members (several longtime vets had moved on). Our  brass program was in chaos well into the spring, when Dennis Dewey came on board and started to right the ship.

"Crown Imperial" for the opener ... fine. "Send in the Clowns" for the closer... fine.

The middle of the show... not so fine.  :laughing: Plus we didn't march well. All added up to 6th place at finals.

Edited by Fran Haring

Going to grab 1980 cd and check this out. Lol 1978 we did TIme Machine after concert. Was on a new album done by the same guy who scored top 40 with disco Star War song. Idea was to be ahead of the curve but new album tanked. Best part of song was we were going backfield and you couldn’t hear it. Especially that one note from 2nd Baris that needed a third valve... or not played at all. Still hear that “daaa da da ughhhhh”