“Failure to Protect”

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

name a corps DCI put on probation before April for anything other than financials. I'll wait. 

Keep waiting, Mr. Snarky.  It doesn't say "...put on probation...", either.

Nice try, but that's a fail.

The article says corps are not DISCIPLINED for matters relating to participant safety.  That's false.

One of the things that strikes me about this article is that its primary focus is on the hiring of people who had FORMER charges against them.

What about people--like Hopkins--who hadn't been charged before, but may be guilty of misconduct within drum corps?

Do we believe that there aren't any of those operating in drum corps today or recently?

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

Keep waiting, Mr. Snarky.  It doesn't say "...put on probation...", either.

Nice try, but that's a fail.

The article says corps are not DISCIPLINED for matters relating to participant safety.  That's false.

So the examples to prove the falsehood are......

tired of wasting my time watching a freaking ping pong game

and this ain’t a ####### game

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

One of the things that strikes me about this article is that its primary focus is on the hiring of people who had FORMER charges against them.

What about people--like Hopkins--who hadn't been charged before, but may be guilty of misconduct within drum corps?

Do we believe that there aren't any of those operating in drum corps today or recently?

there have been some rumors/accusations floated around of just that. Time will reveal some, I think.

51 minutes ago, BigW said:

there have been some rumors/accusations floated around of just that. Time will reveal some, I think.

Most will be protected by the "I know of someone, but I'm not willing to say their name" phenomenon that seems to dominate such a discussion--even here.

Edited by barigirl78

1 minute ago, barigirl78 said:

Most will be protected by the "I know of someone, but I'm not willing to say their name" phenomenon that seems to dominate such a discussion.

Time will tell. All I personally do is have patience in these matters. It may take years, but... some of these rumors have been around for years.

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So the examples to prove the falsehood are......

tired of wasting my time watching a freaking ping pong game

I also have direct knowledge of a corps that was DISCIPLINED for skipping a scheduled food delivery to a host school.  The kids had no dinner meal before or after their show.

Then there was the time a corps was disciplined and their director was made to write a letter of apology to a host school for allowing its senior staff to exit the school after lights-out to "go have a few beers", leaving junior staff tech in charge.  When the janitor returned (after locking all the doors) to find doors propped open (in the middle of the night) and kids literally laying on top of one another in the gym...

The principle and his staff were on FIRE.  DCI disciplines corps ALL THE TIME on participant safety issues all the time.

But, as one prominent director wrote recently, most of what comes out of DCI was flat-out ignored by the member corps.

Edited by garfield

Everyone... I am shocked after reading this. I know for a fact that I am going to get a phone call from my family that lives around Philly. I admit that I am greatly disappointed in DCI at the moment. Will I turn my back on the organization? Absolutely not! I still plan to go to shows and be the fan I am, but I hope that DCI can clean themselves up and do things right in the future. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Valid question and I think it was actually touched on by a few of us in one of the MANY GH threads. I don't think anyone who has been around this or any other activity involving youth (especially in the type of touring situation we have in drum corps,) would be so naive as to believe that there are not people in positions with a past that should disqualify them them immediately from being within 1000 feet of a school, much less an underage student. My hope, is that many of the corps saw this coming and have put in the proper checks to avoid putting MM's (and possibly staff,) at risk. Has that happened? Only time will tell if so and to what effect.