“Failure to Protect”

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

What part of DFTK is so hard for DCI to understand?

Drum corps or not, these issues exist in schools by teachers who are not affiliated with drum corps too. There are plenty of stories out there of a teacher who gets accused of something, resigns, charges end up not being brought and then they go get a job in another state and these issues get swept under a rug and don't show up on background checks. Sadly this is not a drum corps only issue and a more widespread issue. Hopefully anyone who reads this doesn't begin to think this issue only exists in the activity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“Scott Stewart, then the executive director of the Kilties, in an interview said he has known Larson since he was 10 and decided to let him march because he had served his time and should not be kept from doing “something he loved.”
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

“Nearly half of the World Class Drum Corps” and disgraced instructors then go to corps. Crap meet fan and how safe would you feel sending your kid to a corps with this information.

Since every tarnished staffer named in this article is gone, maybe we should feel safer.

Edited by cixelsyd

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Since every tarnished staffer named in this article is gone, maybe we should feel safer.

No we shouldn't, because many of the people who ENABLED those staff members and then tried to cover for them are still in authority positions.

The fish rots from the head down.

Edited by geluf
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Only if DCI and the corps keep the next generation of predators away and break the cycle. Not to mention any that were  NOT mentioned because they have not been discovered yet

Edited by JimF-LowBari

As a die-hard fan, does anyone have ideas on what I (we?) can do as a next step? From top to bottom, I think the drum corps activity is run completely wrong. Not just from the focal point of this article (though that's huge), but the entire activity is just not set up in a way that's not 1) safe for the members, 2) maximizing profits, or 3) cost effective/efficient for anyone involved.

I want my kids to march someday, if they have interest. More importantly to me (because I don't want to force drum corps on them) is that drum corps, in general, continue in the healthiest manner possible.

So I ask you, DCP, what can I do? I want to do something, anything, to help.

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Did he SAY it was his take-away?  

No, he didn't.  

I got the exact same drama queen reaction from someone else. some people seem to protest a bit toooooo much. hmmmm I wonder why?  The original comment was funny but some little wet blankets are trying desperately to let everyone know they are outraged is suspect in itself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

And, therefore, participating in the cleanup process.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how you mean this.

I mean, "participating in the cleanup process" makes me trust the process LESS not more.