“Failure to Protect”

6 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

If the guy had served time for, say, buying a dime bag of pot when he was a knucklehead 21-year-old... sure.  There but for the grace of God go a lot of us.

But something to do with children?  Holy mackerel. Wow.

Yep stupidity where you are your own victim is one thing. Dealing with the same type of people you victimized is another. And know/related to enough cleaned up people with DUI and theft convictions. They are fine around kids but the one with a Meghan’s list conviction (still in stir) ain’t getting in anyone’s house

• Thanks 1

According to today's new reporting ( Philly Inquirer )  Fred Morrison, current Corps Director of the Crossmen, ( quote )" paid for a service to bury Moody's past according to 2 people, one of whom saw a receipt for the paid service in the Corps office".

For context, DCI HQ  put the Troopers on Suspension in 2009. the Troopers would not be allowed to compete in DCI sanctioned competitions until they replaced their Corps Director at the time, that DCI HQ believed was putting the Crossmen in financial hardships.  The Troopers changed leadership, and reapplied for the suspension to be lifted. After a one's year's suspension by DCI HQ, and with the new leadership in place, the Troopers reapplication for DCI Full Membership status was approved by DCI HQ and the Troopers were returned to DCI Competition.

Given the more egregious action of Morrison with the Crossmen...far more egegious than any financial failings, imo... DCI HQ should suspend the Crossmen immediately from further membership in DCI until such time as they remove Fred Morrison as their Corps Director. He should have no place in DCI any longer. He has forfeited that right in my opinion. DCI has NOT prioritized safety as its claimed importance to them, so long as it knowingly allows enablers such as Fred Morrison to put the protections of staffers which checkered pasts as paramount importance to them over that  of youthful marchers in their care.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

another thing in the article, and i know it doesn't fully apply to drum corps is how schools didn't make these issues public and list why licenses are suspended. 

It could be privacy issues-laws/avoiding risk of a gonzo lawsuit by the suspendee, Jeff.

And the amount could be potential future earnings of the individual, which might run into some real shekels.

1 minute ago, JackTripper said:

I wonder why the Texas news outlets don't think there is any value in covering the Crossmen and Genesis stories considering how big marching band is in the state? They can only do so much at philly.com if it's not local.

Honestly this is a good question.  It *should* be a statewide story but I haven't found any local outlets covering it.

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

There are still people in positions of authority and board members with the Kilties now who were fine with him being there then. 

That boggles the mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not picking on you or your opinion but will pick out some of your words to make my point clearer.

learning to stop making questionable hires and compels those people to.... What bothers me is the idea is they are being forced (compelled) to act different and not because they believe what has been done is wrong.

Yes, that would be disturbing.  But it seems to be true.  It appears that not everyone believes in a zero-tolerance policy for sexual abuse (or even just such an allegation) on the record of a drum corps staff hire.  And even among those who do, long-term working relationships can blur their judgment if an allegation arises down the road.

Acknowledging that, I would feel more confident having an improved process that prevents people from making/maintaining risky hires in the first place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

According to today's new reporting ( Philly Inquirer )  Fred Morrison, current Corps Director of the Crossmen, ( quote )" paid for a service to bury Moody's past according to 2 people, one of whom saw a receipt for the paid service in the Corps office".

For context, DCI HQ  put the Troopers on Suspension in 2009. the Troopers would not be allowed to compete in DCI sanctioned competitions until they replaced their Corps Director at the time, that DCI HQ believed was putting the Crossmen in financial hardships.  The Troopers changed leadership, and reapplied for the suspension to be lifted. After a one's year's suspension by DCI HQ, and with the new leadership in place, the Troopers reapplication for DCI Full Membership status was approved by DCI HQ and the Troopers were returned to DCI Competition.

Given the more egregious action of Morrison with the Crossmen...far more egegious than any financial failings, imo... DCI HQ should suspend the Crossmen immediately from further membership in DCI until such time as they remove Fred Morrison as their Corps Director. He should have no place in DCI any longer. He has forfeited that right in my opinion. DCI has NOT prioritized safety as its claimed importance to them, so long as it knowingly allows enablers such as Fred Morrison to put the protections of staffers which checkered pasts as paramount importance to them over that  of youthful marchers in their care.

Keep in mind that according to this article, Joel's teaching license was suspended in 2011 for a period of at least five years. That suggests that he may be legally allowed to work as a teacher in the State at this time. If that's the case, does it change how people view his participation in drum corps? I suspect the answers are mixed. This is extremely tricky territory.

1 hour ago, geluf said:

This happens all the time and its a REAL problem.  Bad teachers jump states and its like nothing ever happened.  Their record seems not to follow them.  There needs to be a national registry for this kind of thing.

agreed, and this will hopefully help drum corps detect them. 

• Like 1