“Failure to Protect”

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I wish all they did was circle the wagons. They threatened people for bringing this to the drum corps community‘s attention.  I have the letters and my attorney has them on file to prove it. 

Talk to Naldony. 

• Like 2

The Hopkins story was one thing. Then the Pioneer fiasco continued it. But this... This is a bombshell of new info on many corps and their instructors.

It would not surprise me if we find many directors and/or other people in power out of their jobs within the next few days before the stories really start to spread nationally.

DCI, I await your full statement on this article.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

1 hour ago, ouooga said:

As a die-hard fan, does anyone have ideas on what I (we?) can do as a next step? From top to bottom, I think the drum corps activity is run completely wrong. Not just from the focal point of this article (though that's huge), but the entire activity is just not set up in a way that's not 1) safe for the members, 2) maximizing profits, or 3) cost effective/efficient for anyone involved.

I want my kids to march someday, if they have interest. More importantly to me (because I don't want to force drum corps on them) is that drum corps, in general, continue in the healthiest manner possible.

So I ask you, DCP, what can I do? I want to do something, anything, to help.

Do your own research and vetting on the groups/s your kid might be interested in joining.  Check on all staff.  Maybe something that should be made available to a parent is a complete and thorough bio on ALL staff associated with a corps and what their function is as it directly relates to the MM's.

3 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

DCI, I await your full statement on this article.

Think that would be “we can’t control who corps hire “....

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Saw that. Obviously an error. I've also noticed that the error has since been corrected.

Certainly doesn't dilute the impact of the overall story.

Nor did I suggest or imply dilution.

I do, however, question whether accuracy is important in a story such as this.

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

its not a grey area in my mind ( although I recognize it could be with others). As far as I'm concerned, its a " One Strike and You're Out " situation. There is no " second chance " as far as I'm concerned. We are talking about the most vulnerable among us. Youthful, unsuspecting, and trusting young adults. Some are minors. Once an adult breeches that proxy trust they have been granted by Parents to supervise and train their siblings in a responsible manner, the violator loses that permission forever in my opinion. Corps travel overnight 9 weeks from school to school.  Adults that have shown not to be trustworthy... even in a single incident... should never be permitted anymore to be put in  a supervisory capacity with a minor or a young adult in any 9 week summer overnight travel activity. Period. Let that predator go find work, hobbies that do not involve overnight travels in the summer with vulnerable youth. They had their chance. They blew it. Forever, imo. They can get " a second chance " in work and hobbies that involve their adult peers. Allow them to work with Youth in 9 week summer long overnight travels ? No. Not with my children anyway. I don't take such chances that the predator might've found " redemption ". Not on my watch anyway.

The Young victims of predatory behaviors by adults in supervisory capacities whose believing trust has been so callously violated by these creeps do not get " a second chance ". That Trust on the part of the victims can never be restored for THEM.

100 percent, BRASSO.  You don't get a second chance with kids. Period.  This shouldn't even be a question.

• Like 4

The article states nearly half of the world class corps have employed someone disciplined for misconduct with a student. In this article, six world class corps are mentioned, including Pioneer. I assume there is more to come? 

Just now, geluf said:

100 percent, BRASSO.  You don't get a second chance with kids. Period.  This shouldn't even be a question.

Yep if you want to teach music then work with adults only be it adult only group or adult only private lessons.

• Thanks 1