“Failure to Protect”

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Nor did I suggest or imply dilution.

I do, however, question whether accuracy is important in a story such as this.

First off, the article isn't ONLY about drum corps. It's also about marching band. I know the title says drum corps, the majority of the people that will read the article won't know the difference, and the rest of us know there really is no difference. I'm sure the writer did her research before publishing the article. Question all you want. DCI is done.

28 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

its not a grey area in my mind ( although I recognize it could be with others). As far as I'm concerned, its a " One Strike and You're Out " situation. There is no " second chance " as far as I'm concerned. We are talking about the most vulnerable among us. Youthful, unsuspecting, and trusting young adults. Some are minors. Once an adult breeches that proxy trust they have been granted by Parents to supervise and train their siblings in a responsible manner, the violator loses that permission forever in my opinion. Corps travel overnight 9 weeks from school to school.  Adults that have shown not to be trustworthy... even in a single incident... should never be permitted anymore to be put in  a supervisory capacity with a minor or a young adult in any 9 week summer overnight travel activity. Period. Let that predator go find work, hobbies that do not involve overnight travels in the summer with vulnerable youth. They had their chance. They blew it. Forever, imo. They can get " a second chance " to freely work and hobbies that involve their adult peers. But allow them to work with Youth in 9 week summer long overnight travels ? No. Not with my children anyway. I don't take such chances that the predator might've found " redemption ". Not on my watch anyway.

The Young victims of predatory behaviors by adults in supervisory capacities whose believing trust has been so callously violated by these creeps do not get " a second chance ". That Trust on the part of the victims can never be restored for THEM.

We need a duh button

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

another thing in the article, and i know it doesn't fully apply to drum corps is how schools didn't make these issues public and list why licenses are suspended. 

For schools, there can be a variety of reasons. It often seems in school settings, if a person is accused of anything that can be defined as sexual misconduct, it is made public, but often that is  not the case. It's not usually for innocent until proven guilty nor is it to protect a person's reputation if a charge is false. It often depends on whether something becoming public does more harm than good to an accuser or whether it will hinder further prosecution. Often the element of surprise is what allows prosecutors to catch criminals, and a friend of mine who worked for the Middlesex County DA's office here in Massachusetts once told me the cases that were the easiest to get a conviction were those not in the public eye and got little attention until the trial began. It was easier to pick a jury and you did not run the risk of a trail in the court of public opinion. A good lawyer on the part of the accused and teacher's unions could also play a role. Regarding licenses being revoked or certification not being renewed, requirements licenses and certifications vary from state to state. There could be fifty different reasons for fifty different states. However if a license was revoked or allowed to expire, something significant would be whether the license would be renewed. I know somewhere I have a letter stating that when my certification expired, I was a teacher in good standing at the time my certification expired. I also know that not everyone receives this letter. So for teachers who leave the profession, demanding a letter that says the person left in good standing may be a possibility.  

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

The fallout from this and particularly the reaction of schools/housing sites could do drum corps in. Maybe for the best

This could be a big side issue to this story.  Corps with the finances might have to look into sleeper buses.  Boston has used one in the past.

Well drum corps, it was fun while it lasted!

No need to complain about Bb

13 minutes ago, JackTripper said:

First off, the article isn't ONLY about drum corps. It's also about marching band. I know the title says drum corps, the majority of the people that will read the article won't know the difference, and the rest of us know there really is no difference. I'm sure the writer did her research before publishing the article. Question all you want. DCI is done.

I'm not questioning whether or not she did research, but statements like this one paint a completely different picture of the activity, and DCI, than are true or warranted:

"DCI can discipline or suspend corps for violating its policies. But until it put the Cadets on probation in April, DCI had never disciplined a corps for concerns about participant safety."

Bold mine, as is my contention that this statement is absolutely false and misleading.

Unless, of course, one defines "participant safety" as a myopic subject focused only on sexual harassment.  Many people know of many corps that have been disciplined over concerns of participant safety.  Food safety, travel safety, medical safety...

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ghost said:

This could be a big side issue to this story.  Corps with the finances might have to look into sleeper buses.  Boston has used one in the past.

How about a bus that carries it’s own practice field....  or *groan* show site

1 hour ago, BigW said:

When this came out and was discussed here, it was obvious then he needed to politely and quietly pass the baton. And, there were those who also spoke up for him and his character. 

Yes there were. There were full throated defenses of Fred Morrison posted right here on DCP not more than six months ago. How dare we blame poor Fred...  That Fred Morrison is still with Crossmen speaks volumes about how this problem is far from cleaned up in the activity. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2