“Failure to Protect”

38 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm sorry, but it's this kind of lunacy that is most damaging.  So many holes of assumption.

No one claims Dan didn't know (although only one person I know of claims to have first-hand knowledge), so half of your claim is resolved.  (BTW, if "everyone" knew, isn't everyone culpable?  Just wondering where that line is forming...)

Like it or not, this happened at individual drum corps, not in Dan's office.

Are you going to hold Blue Devils responsible for Pioneer's regressions?  How about holding Crown responsible for Hopkins' actions?  "Off with their heads!".

If you think that sound ludicrous, you clearly don't understand how DCI was structured.

Ludicrous indeed.  You keep repeating your nonsense about not understanding corporate structure.  You're just painting yourself as DCI whitewasher.

As leader and chief executive of the organization,  Acheson gets to take all the credit and all the blame.  If he knew and did nothing,  he's culpable morally and ethically.   Hiding behind corporate structure may or may not cover his ### legally.  It does nothing to shield him from his duty to the marching members.  

It really doesn't matter if he was hamstrung by the board (a supposition for which there is currently no evidence).  What matters is knowing about sexual abuse and doing nothing.  Your defense of his inaction amounts to:

"Sorry guys.  I know you're being raped and sexually abused.  But my job responsibilities don' t include taking action to prevent it.  Sorry. But hey --  now that the scandalous behavior is out in the open,  we're making all kinds of positive changes.  So let's forget I was in charge before hand and just move on from that.  Yeah that's the ticket.  Let's keep looking forward".

Tricia nailed it with the title of this article:  failure to protect indeed.

Edited by karuna
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

But, wait.  The reporter wrote the sentence that threw DCI into an unfair and negative light by, according to your own explanation (thanks for that), mischaracterized what we presume she meant to say.  Ok, I'll admit it:  I blame her for that.

That calls her on the carpet about spreading responsibility to DCI without taking one iota of veracity away from the central point of the article, being DCI being a "Haven" to pedophiles.

If she doesn't want carelessness to cloud the message of her "Project", don't be careless.

(If I were connected to an HBCU drumline, I'd be more than a little concerned about the image the reporter chose to use as a header.  Why not use a picture of one of the actual drum corps described in the article?)

I don't think there was any negative light shed... in the context of the subject.  Again, she did give both sides of the story... and was pretty clear pointing out that DCI has, indeed, taken steps on this issue.

Well... about as clear as she could be, given that one of her key interview subjects was, for all intents and purposes, uncooperative.

How is she "spreading responsibility to DCI" on this issue by not mentioning that DCI has acted on other issues? It was an oversight... not an attempt to smear the DCI front office.  Did she need to mention DCI's side of the current story, and the updated info from them... which she covered in this article... in large, bolded print or something as to not "spread responsibility"?

The header... that often is an editor's or producer's choice, their job... not the reporter's choice, or job.

By using words like "her Project"... you make it pretty clear where you stand regarding this reporter. I disagree with your stance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, garfield said:

What's surreal is that I'm, apparently, the only one here who's willing to for the betterment of the activity.

You’re saying what Acheson has put out for the past couple of months. 

It’s just regurgitating the problem. 

Rational adults are arguing that it’s a dangerous situation for kids.  It’s not one or two corps that have done this, and they aren’t going to govern themselves, obviously.  Congrats to the corps that have kept their noses clean.  They won’t be affected by the institution of a legitimate governing agency that mandates procedures to protect minors.  If there’s no oversight about personnel hiring, especially for a youth education activity, then DCI is a dangerous activity.  Period. Anybody who reads the PI’s deeply-sourced article and uses their ability to reason will understand.

I'm sorry that you don't think that people with that point of view are advocating for the betterment of the activity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MikeD said:

When I try and read the article it says I have reached my quota for the month, though as far as I know I have not read any philly.com articles at all. Is there any way to see the article another way?

Copy the link from the address bar.  Open an Incognito window.  Paste address and go.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

The point of the article is that the way DCI is structured is idiotic. 

And DCI calling itself a governing agency is idiotic if it doesn't govern something as fundamental as this.

That's what most of us are discussing because we understood the main idea behind all of this information. 

Neither you, nor Acheson, nor anybody else gets to say "but what were we/they supposed to do" anymore.  It's past that time,.

Surely you understand that, which is why it's surreal to see most of your posts on the subject.  

That's the point, Lance.  DCI never called itself "Governing Agency" or anything like it outside of tour management.  That title was inputed on it by those who want badly for DCI to be culpable for past digressions by  people employed by member corps.

I've never said that past is prologue.  Never.  In fact, I've been at the forefront of calling for new DCI governance for specifically these, and other, reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

The gif image at the top of the article.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who's connected to music performance will recognize the drumline shown as being an HBCU-style, if not an actual HBCU school.

Again, simply, why not choose one of the many posted videos of the corps at the center of the article instead of substituting a completely unrelated image?

I’ll be the one to say it. Doubt if HBCU because of the Caucasian looking hands and arms. 

As a horn player I saw it as a bunch of drummers at practice BFD....

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

When I try and read the article it says I have reached my quota for the month, though as far as I know I have not read any philly.com articles at all. Is there any way to see the article another way?

You can use an app "philly.com".   I reached my quota as well, but the app doesn't care.  I know the app is for apple, but I would assume android as well.

4 minutes ago, karuna said:

Ludicrous indeed.  You keep repeating your nonsense about not understanding corporate structure.  You're just painting yourself as DCI whitewasher.

As leader and chief executive of the organization,  Acheson gets to take all credit and the all blame.  If he knew and did nothing,  he's culpable morally and ethically.   Hiding behind corporate structure may or may not cover his ### legally.  It does nothing to shield him from his duty to the marching members.  

It really doesn't matter if he was hamstrung by the board (a supposition for which there is currently no evidence).  What matters is knowing about sexual abuse and doing nothing.  Your defense of his inaction amounts to:

"Sorry guys.  I know you're being raped and sexually abused.  But my job responsibilities don' t include taking action to prevent it.  Sorry. But hey --  now that the scandalous behavior is out in the open,  we're making all kinds of positive changes.  So let's forget I was in charge before hand and just move on from that.  Yeah that's the ticket.  Let's keep looking forward".

Tricia nailed it with the title of this article:  failure to protect indeed.

And you keep repeating that phrase as if by repeating it often enough it will become true.

Nobody said he was hamstrung by a Board.  His Board established a procedure and he followed it.

All of these accusations occured at the individual corps level. 

To blame DCI is diverting attention away from those responsible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’ll be the one to say it. Doubt if HBCU because of the Caucasian looking hands and arms. 

As a horn player I saw it as a bunch of drummers at practice BFD....

LOL,  I know.  Likely a drummer would clearly see.  Horn players?  Well...

There are lots of style reasons that tip it off regardless of the arm color, but I'd be willing to bet they are black kids just by looking at their arms.