“Failure to Protect”

So after reading the article and reading all the posts something I remember from the RAMD days about a particular female (She who shall not be named) making accusations concerning a DCI hall of famer. This Bomb we read now maybe one of many. 

I marched with a kid in the 70's who came out with a bombshell many years ago in the Buffalo News, that his uncle molested him. The kid later went on to have a successful company then committed suicide. The man in question was a part time staff member and police officer.

This will only get worse I believe! 

• Like 1

I'm curious:  What are the feelings here about the Boards of Directors of these named corps who directors, purportedly, were enablers to the monsters they let in.  If the BoD of non-profit is the final fiduciary guardian of the org...

Traveling today... :sigh: 

Edited by garfield

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

DCI HQ really seems is in a quandry now. It can not imply on one hand that it has little control or authority over its member Corps, but then put out a press release from its Headquarters that states that " abuse and misconduct will not be tolerated". Its either one or the other. DCI right now has a specific and concrete example of reported serious " misconduct " on the part of Fred Morrison, current Corps Director of the Crossmen. That is, unless DCI HQ believes that the report out today in the media that Fred Morrison  secretly payed a service money to bury a negative sexual episode that Morrison was aware of  ( but parents/ marchers were not ) of one of his hires  does not constitute " misconduct ". If THATs the assessment at DCI HQ, then Dan needs to resign immediately.. On simple incompetency alone it would seem to me. In any event, DCI HQ is going to be monitored now by fans and the media alike to see how it handles Fred Morrison and the Crossmen. DCI HQ can not state that " abuse and misconduct will not be tolerated ", when it appears DCI Hq has tolerated quite a bit of " abuse and misconduct "  in its ranks..And with Morrison/ Crossmen, as just one glaring current example,  DCI HQ appears to tolerate abuse and " misconduct " in its ranks to this very moment.   DCI HQ approves judges I believe. Will Mark Clima still be approved for judging DCI  shows for 2019 and beyond ? Calima had his teaching license revoked for sexually harassing students. Plural. More than one time was he apparently sexually harassing students. Over a period of a couple of years too .. All fairly recently. 2013-2015 time period ( according to the Philly Enquirer report ). Is DCI HQ  genuinely serious about making its activity future safe for youth. I suppose we are about to find out with what actions they take... or don't take.

This may be a miracle: I agree with every single word you’ve written

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm curious:  What are the feelings here about the Boards of Directors of these named corps who directors, purportedly, were enablers to the monsters they let in.  If the BoD of non-profit is the final fiduciary guardian of the org...

Traveling today... :sigh: 

Willfully ignorant of their duties. Not absolved of blame and if still in these boards, they should get the old YEA board treatment 

• Thanks 4

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

Thanks, but that still did not work! It opened the article, and with,in 10 seconds I got the limit screen. Oh, well, thanks for trying.

By any chance, do you still use a manual typewriter?  :tongue:

• Haha 3

The problem is whether DCI as on organization has the power to do this without altering it's charter.  In fact it may require the dissolution of DCI and a new organization with the power to do some of the things everyone is talking about.  You know even the United States first government had to be re-done.  and yes Barack Obama was NOT the first Black President of the United States.  Change by necessity is usually a positive thing.

• Like 1

As I’m reading some of these posts, I am seeing a few key pieces missing. One could be the more serious issue. Music City responded to the article. They removed the person as soon as info became available, did all the background checks while hiring and the person slipped through the cracks. If no further information surfaces that is contrary, it was handled in the best possible manner. Music City seems to have believed the credibility of the accusations or at least the seriousness of them. There were two major parts of the newspaper story that fleshed out more details than most of us previously knew. The two corps in question allowed people with serious strikes against them to remain on staff. Perhaps it was out of friendship, which may have been the situation in one case, but you can’t allow that to cloud judgment. But in this case, and certainly in another case, they may not believe the victims. Remember predators often look for the most vulnerable person, and at times the stories of the victim can be shaky, even though they are true. All the best hiring practices cannot cover up people not believing victims. 

People want to see heads roll. Heads may need to roll, but while that can be a solution that makes people say something has been done, it may not be the best way to handle things. In the cases of serious wrong doing, based on specifics mentioned in the article, some should resign or be removed. In some situations the person may not have seen what was staring them in the face, then suddenly pieces appear and everything becomes clearer. While there may be serious doubts about the long term future of people in this category, they may have institutional knowledge and know how to find the skeletons in the closet.   

• Like 4

I believe Dan should resign. The organization and activity can’t move on with him remaining in place.

i also continue to believe that the current touring model isn’t appropriate for minors without their parents/guardian in tow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3