“Failure to Protect”

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

name a corps DCI suspended for anything other than financial prior to April. I'll wait.

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

name a corps DCI put on probation before April for anything other than financials. I'll wait. 

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

name names. and DCI should too

How can you demand that others name names, when you will not do the same?

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i have heard names, but i don't know enough facts to go public with it, because if I am wrong, my ### is on the line in a courtroom i am sure.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I believe Dan should resign. The organization and activity can’t move on with him remaining in place.

i also continue to believe that the current touring model isn’t appropriate for minors without their parents/guardian in tow. 

Correct. Open Class should be restructured to include members up to age 17, and heavily chaperoned. World Class is then designated as ADULTS only, ages 18-22.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I'm curious:  What are the feelings here about the Boards of Directors of these named corps who directors, purportedly, were enablers to the monsters they let in.  If the BoD of non-profit is the final fiduciary guardian of the org...

Traveling today... :sigh: 

Resign from BoD and resign from the corps. 

And wondering if they fall under any state laws under having to report suspected abuse. PA tightened theirs and teachers and others who work with youth (forget details) are mandated to report suspected abuse or face criminal action.

23 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

How can you demand that others name names, when you will not do the same?

Because the admin team will delete and I’ve been threatened. 

I thought I knew everything about the Morgan Larson saga.  I was wrong.  When I read about him dating the developmentally disabled woman, my jaw dropped.  

I had a hard time sleeping last night with that revelation.  There’s a special place in hell for that.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Resign from BoD and resign from the corps. 

And wondering if they fall under any state laws under having to report suspected abuse. PA tightened theirs and teachers and others who work with youth (forget details) are mandated to report suspected abuse or face criminal action.

I started doing background checks to teach bands 25 years ago

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

Thanks, but that still did not work! It opened the article, and with,in 10 seconds I got the limit screen. Oh, well, thanks for trying.

If you're using Chrome,use the clear browsing feature and clear everything but "browsing history" ,"since beginning of time".

Restart your browser and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

If I start a Jeff vs. Gar thread will you two take it over there?  I find it extremely disappointing that this tread is getting sidetracked by such a sidebar.  Yes, Gar, it's a sidebar I find completely unimportant compared to the overarching message of the article.

And what is the overarching message of this article?  Seriously?

The piece headlines with "Elite youth drum corps have become a haven for instructors with sexual misconduct in their past"... but fails to present even ONE such example who is currently in the drum corps activity.  Nothing but people from the past, now gone from drum corps.  So is it a haven?  Or it used to be a haven, but not anymore?

To me, it feels like a lot of investigative effort that failed to uncover any present-day findings like the Hopkins story did.  Rather than let all that effort go unpublished, she put out an article anyway... one that makes me think of the word "overreaching" rather than "overarching".

Details do matter.  That is one of the many lessons drum corps teaches.

• Like 2

And I’ll say again: a judge? Most circuits I know of require checks for judges. 

And i I know we beat genesis up before, but they blew the whistle on Crossmen while having their own issue. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And what is the overarching message of this article?  Seriously?

The piece headlines with "Elite youth drum corps have become a haven for instructors with sexual misconduct in their past"... but fails to present even ONE such example who is currently in the drum corps activity.  Nothing but people from the past, now gone from drum corps.  So is it a haven?  Or it used to be a haven, but not anymore?

To me, it feels like a lot of investigative effort that failed to uncover any present-day findings like the Hopkins story did.  Rather than let all that effort go unpublished, she put out an article anyway... one that makes me think of the word "overreaching" rather than "overarching".

Details do matter.  That is one of the many lessons drum corps teaches.

One guy was just last year... from music city. Are there more? This could flesh them out