“Failure to Protect”

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I saw that. 

2010 someone came out with a magazine type publication with all registered offenders in a 6 county area. Still have it as knew some people listed (worked in my building and distant relative). Term used there was verification date and last time State knew current address (also listed). Wondered if USPS notication is the same.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I respect you and your posts are generally well thought out and logical, but (I hate that word...,) I think this one is more reactionary than anything. Your comparisons in this case would be like saying that since the state authorities knew about lead in the water in Flint, MI., then anyone who voted for those individuals allowed them into office and are therefore also liable. It's like the 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon.

IF (and I don't know first hand,) people were aware of an issue that put MM's in harms way and did not report it, then how is that not wrong at least from a moral standpoint? 

I understand both sides. I truly do. But if we have an obligation to protect these kids and that wasn't done because it wasn't someones job legally to do so, then there is a real problem. 

Well, at least I know my sarcasm was convincing to some degree!

Not to worry, friends who know me also know I have no pitchfork to sharpen.

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, at least I know my sarcasm was convincing to some degree!

Not to worry, friends who know me also know I have no pitchfork to sharpen.

Sarcasm noted sir 🤣

Oh, and let's not forget...

Ya' see, when I marched and was actively involved in teaching, I knew there was sex going on between MM's but I never once witnessed, nor did I ever hear of, a teacher messing with kids.  Maybe it happened and maybe they did a wonderful job of covering it up so we little minds didn't see it. Probably, I was just a naive kid back then but, even in the '80s when I was teaching, I didn't hear of anything like what's being described by these vets.

So, when I hear so many here proclaim "Well, EVERYBODY knew that SOMETHING was going on so, OF COURSE "these people" must have know what was going on!", I'm quite shocked and taken aback and I have to ask, did EVERYBODY (in my pure mock of she not named) "report" it.  All those here who have put in writing here that this and that happened all the time...You saw this stuff happen between kids and adults ALL THE TIME?  Was it reported by all these witnesses?

I now demand that every person who demonstrably proclaims definitive knowledge of, or even someone who knew someone who had knowledge of these acts AND DIDN'T REPORT IT  to be added to a list of persons banned from the gate of every DCI-sponsored show.

I don't want to be in a stadium of old-time fans who "knew" what was going on and didn't report it.

I am pure as snow.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

(Didn't want to be the won who scared you away.  That'll come in time.  :tongue: Welcome!)

LOL. I worked in AT&T's corporate office for 20 years with CALL CENTERS!! Scaring me away isn't going to happen LOL. 

• Like 1

Yes, agreed that Dan should go, even if an argument can be made that he had no control over the corps behavior or unaware of what was happening, the optics are bad right now. It would serve the activity if new leadership takes charge. 

I want to go at this from a different angle. I believe part of the cause of this toxic environment of sexual abuse that fester in Drum Corps was the acceptance of inappropriate relationships by all sides, corps members, staff, etc. Especially back in the 70's, 80's etc. Part of the reason is because the age of the techs, usually recent age outs. Some would engage in relationships with corps members. The problem, the lines got blurred when the relationships with members were minors. Yet, in my opinion, many just accepted and hence made this behavior normal. Then the pattern would repeat itself over and over.

What I am about to say is not an accusation, just an observation. A certain legendary Percussion Caption who taught in the south and then the west ended marrying one of his former students who marched the corps he taught. Let me make myself clear, I have no idea if they dated while he taught, merely stating a fact. That's where they met. (Mods - If you feel what I just stated push the line in this forum, I understand if it's removed)

I'm in no way condoning anybody who crossed the line, merely bringing another facet of this broad and complex issue in our activity.

Regarding Mike Stevens, in our percussion subculture in drum corps, Tricia was right, he was a celebrity. Not only for writing a famous snare drum piece, but for being part of the legendary quad line in DCI history in the 1990 Blue Devil's Tenor Line. Then also a tech for on the legendary Tenor Lines DCI in the Cadets 1993-94. Reading the article, made me wonder if he saw the HOP culture at the Cadets and thought it was ok to cross the line. The other thing, I always thought it was strange over the years that after he became the caption head of BK in 98, got them to their highest standing in 2000, then the next year he was gone.Then resurfaced teaching at Churchill High School a few years later. Yes, I know he went to Louisiana to get his degree. Makes rethink what really happen at BK at the end of tenure. 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I call for any BoD member who knew or suspected anything was going on and ignored it to resign.

If you want to focus on protecting DA fine. My focus is protecting the kids and getting rid of all predators and enablers. And anyone who ignored even a suspicion is an enabler

Did I leave anyone off the list, Jim?  

Your contention that because I'm trying to get people to think with their heads means I don't care about kids is insulting.

I'd wish you'd stop.  But, whatever.

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

heads

I

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

Did I leave anyone off the list, Jim?  

Your contention that because I'm trying to get people to think with their heads means I don't care about kids is insulting.

I'd wish you'd stop.  But, whatever.

Never said you don’t care about the kids. But your main focus is on explaining how/why DA and BoD have done/not done things until it hit the papers this year. 

Just reminds me way too much of the “yeah but” PSU apologists.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2