“Failure to Protect”

Seeing more comments about consensual (legal or not) relationships between staff and members. Again most of what has been reported recently is non-consensual harassment and assault. Totally different things.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Seeing more comments about consensual (legal or not) relationships between staff and members. Again most of what has been reported recently is non-consensual harassment and assault. Totally different things.

On that front ( consensual sex between staffers and marchers of legal age ), I do know of Corps that have strengthened their policies on this lately .  Many now expressly forbid any staffer from romantic encounters with current marchers in their Corps. Staffers are expelled from the Corps for not following the policy.

I believe such a policy should become mandatory throughout DCI Drum Corps. Staffers that even date current marchers set in motion the environment for claims ( rightly or wrongly) "  of " favoritism " for that current marcher. Such staffers and current marchers hook ups can easily become a Corps morale damage situation too, imo.. 

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

On that front ( consensual sex between staffers and marchers of legal age ), I do know of Corps that have strengthened their policies on this lately .  Many now expressly forbid any staffer from romantic encounters with current marchers in their Corps. Staffers are expelled from the Corps for not following the policy.

I believe such a policy should become mandatory throughout DCI Drum Corps. Staffers that even date current marchers set in motion the environment for claims ( rightly or wrongly) "  of " favoritism " for that current marcher. Such staffers and current marchers hook ups can easily become a Corps morale damage situation too, imo.. 

I also think of it in a “don’t #### where you eat” kind of thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Agree with you brasso and didn’t even think of the favoritism angle. Shame on me as have the same rule where I work concerning couples working together. If one is boss over the other, someone has to be moved to another area outside of the managers jurisdiction. For corps that would mean someone’s gotta go to another corps

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I believe such a policy should become mandatory throughout DCI Drum Corps. Staffers that even date current marchers set in motion the environment for claims ( rightly or wrongly) "  of " favoritism " for that current marcher. Such staffers and current marchers hook ups can easily become a Corps morale damage situation too, imo

I would agree whole-heatedly. Most businesses are leaning towards this type of policy as well. I know at my work, it's now been expressly forbidden. In 2017, you had to simply report it to your manager and the subordinate could not report directly to you. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Absolutely!  

Honestly... legal age or not, I do not think a staff member should be doing anything like that with a member of the corps. I would personally consider them to be my students and would treat them as such. Let's hope that dci addresses this in a quick and professional matter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, garfield said:

If this makes logical sense then, by direct extension, those who drafted, voted, and implemented the policy that now makes Dan A worthy of being fired are, themselves, responsible.  They are the fiduciaries of the activity according to law.

Valuable knowledge about running a drum corps is easily and effectively replaced and, therefore, has little or no value. 

I publicly call for every DCI BoD member to be removed from DCIs governance structure the day they march Dan out. 

And, because by their very lack of action as board members of the governing body, they obviously are enabler personalities who should not be in charge of a youth group. 

I now call for every director who has either voted in favor of the current DCI governance structure, or FAILED TO INTRODUCE a vote for proactive restructuring of DCI, to be removed from their corps the same day they march Dan A out. 

Now, corps boards were enablers for allowing their directors to vote in favor of DCIs structure, or DIDN’T DEMAND their reps to DCI’s governance model vote on action to change that structure. I demand that all corps board members be removed and replaced the day they march Dan A out. 

Now, what about the SPONSORS who enabled...

Feelin’ wordsmithy today. 

If any member of the dci board or a corps board was in that position when any of these things happened, they should be removed 

• Like 3