“Failure to Protect”

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

f any member of the dci board or a corps board was in that position when any of these things happened, they should be removed

I would certainly agree if they were aware of allegations and did not take action to protect those who were in harms way. To me, that's where my line is drawn. Most of us who are reasonable human beings would stop someone who we witnessed being abused with...let's just say fervor. If I saw it happening, I'm fairly certain that the abuser wouldn't be the only one taking a ride in the back of government vehicle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

On that front ( consensual sex between staffers and marchers of legal age ), I do know of Corps that have strengthened their policies on this lately .  Many now expressly forbid any staffer from romantic encounters with current marchers in their Corps. Staffers are expelled from the Corps for not following the policy.

I believe such a policy should become mandatory throughout DCI Drum Corps. Staffers that even date current marchers set in motion the environment for claims ( rightly or wrongly) "  of " favoritism " for that current marcher. Such staffers and current marchers hook ups can easily become a Corps morale damage situation too, imo.. 

Exactly! When consensual inappropriate (Staff to Members) relationships exist in this environment where minors are present, it leads to this. With the pattern repeating itself and evolving to staff to minor corps member relationships which crosses the line. Then it spills over to the high school level. And unfortunately, it many instances, becoming a tolerated behavior, hence why it went on so long with unchecked.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

If any member of the dci board or a corps board was in that position when any of these things happened, they should be removed 

What I wrote is fact and follows exactly the chain of responsibility/command.  There's is no "if" here.

I'll mark you down as calling for the removal of all DCI board members, all directors from their corps, and all corps board members because of their enablement of Dan A and his office.

And, for the record, I was being sarcastic; I presume you weren't.  Am I correct?

Edited by garfield

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

A scholastic organization like BOA is a totally different animal. Not even apples to oranges 

Right apples and oranges but now the apples are polluting the oranges we must address the apples can't fix the oranges otherwise. DCP is a testament to the dedication to dci. That we have threads like this with folks doing their best to right the ship for dci. The apples don't seem to care. At most BOA has fans for a few years and then their kids move on.

There needs to be a grassroots effort to wake up the high schools to this issue. Life just goes on for them, business as normal no repercussions when these issues crop up in the schools. Look at recent events like Pittston Pa, the Skyliners got more of a black eye than administrators at the school. Hoschton, GA  heck dci is even going back this year no repercussions. There are many other examples that BOA and other Band Associations treat sexual misconduct as business as normal. The failure to protect article supposedly a hit piece on dci makes me fear for the kids taking extracurricular activities in high school, not being on a well supervised dci tour. That's a real apples and oranges comparison, how was any of it a dci issue the tours have been safe regardless of who was on the staff or who played a solo for the DCA Kilties or the Jim Ott Ensemble.

This fight (failure to protect) needs to be taken up at the Parent Teachers Association level Nationwide, not pushing off it to a third party (dci) like this article suggests. We can fire all the Dan's in the world and dci may still fade away. Lets say Not Fade Away and be the ones that pushes this issue up to the National PTA level where it belongs and can do the most good for kids in general not just the 3500 or so involved in dci. These sexual issues affects all kids / all parents and anyone else that cares for the safety of our youth..

Surprised me so far that there has been no sponsor backlash. Wonder when the contracts are usually signed.

as for DCI, board needs to be an outside audit of who knew what and when. And if any names come up then out they go. That’s only way imo DCI can clear themselves.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

What I wrote is fact and follows exactly the chain of responsibility/command.  There's is no "if" here.

I'll mark you down as calling for the removal of all DCI board members, all directors from their corps, and all corps board members because of their enablement of Dan A and his office.

And, for the record, I was being sarcastic; I presume you weren't.  Am I correct?

If you’re on Crossmen board and you rubber stamped Moody’s hire, see ya. The OC issues? See ya. This stuff was known and reported and ignored. Larsons history was known by the Kilties and Cavies organizations. And was reported to Acheson.

remember, dci insisted the entire YEA administration be replaced. Why should anyone else be held to a different standard especially when the old YEA board, pathetic as it was didn’t know Hopkins was considered a rapist before January 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Right apples and oranges but now the apples are polluting the oranges we must address the apples can't fix the oranges otherwise. DCP is a testament to the dedication to dci. That we have threads like this with folks doing their best to right the ship for dci. The apples don't seem to care. At most BOA has fans for a few years and then their kids move on.

There needs to be a grassroots effort to wake up the high schools to this issue. Life just goes on for them, business as normal no repercussions when these issues crop up in the schools. Look at recent events like Pittston Pa, the Skyliners got more of a black eye than administrators at the school. Hoschton, GA  heck dci is even going back this year no repercussions. There are many other examples that BOA and other Band Associations treat sexual misconduct as business as normal. The failure to protect article supposedly a hit piece on dci makes me fear for the kids taking extracurricular activities in high school, not being on a well supervised dci tour. That's a real apples and oranges comparison, how was any of it a dci issue the tours have been safe regardless of who was on the staff or who played a solo for the DCA Kilties or the Jim Ott Ensemble.

This fight (failure to protect) needs to be taken up at the Parent Teachers Association level Nationwide, not pushing off it to a third party (dci) like this article suggests. We can fire all the Dan's in the world and dci may still fade away. Lets say Not Fade Away and be the ones that pushes this issue up to the National PTA level where it belongs and can do the most good for kids in general not just the 3500 or so involved in dci. These sexual issues affects all kids / all parents and anyone else that cares for the safety of our youth..

The issue has been being addressed at the scholastic level in many places, but you have to remember government is also often involved. But I see more of an emphasis on getting it right there than I do in drum corps 

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

remember, dci insisted the entire YEA administration be replaced. Why should anyone else be held to a different standard especially when the old YEA board, pathetic as it was didn’t know Hopkins was considered a rapist before January 

I’d say payback cuz GH wasn’t one of the good ole boyz. He was no longer with YEA\Cadets but you punish who you can.

Meanwhile RB keeps floating around in Milwaukee. Interesting to see what DCI says about 2020 if things stay the same muddle.

And what did DCI know about OC. Staff resigns en masse and DCI didn’t ask anyone why? Know I just found out why but I don’t have the responsibility to check how healthy a corps is. And find it impossible to believe one of the people who quit at OC didn’t pick up the phone 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Every freaking day I see car magnets with JVP or 409 on them. Refers to Paternos initials and number of wins he used to have. Wonder if the person has them because they think Paterno was totally innocent or "how dare anyone think the school isn't perfect". And again the kids are ignored.

Yeah. "Joe-Bots". The NCAA did give him back the wins BTW.  Read this little nugget:

Do a search for "Penn State Trustee Albert Lord running out of sympathy" and get more disgusted when you read the Washington Post article. That broke my back for any positive feelings towards PSU.

There are folks out there with various corps who will try the same thing, I'm certain. Wait and see.