“Failure to Protect”

5 hours ago, garfield said:

I'm focused on the morbidly mistaken and foolhardy notion that getting rid of Dan for optics reasons makes any sense at all.  You keep saying he ignored you and didn't act.  He did act.  He just didn't act in the way you think he should have.  I don't think many people take into count how small our activity is and how difficult it would be to replace Dan and his staff for the money they are now being paid, train them, then expect them to both step into tour management AND pull off the season just beginning.  

I can't argue with the first sentence. I don't believe terminating anyone for the good of the "optics" is ever a good practice. Does it happen? Of course it does...every day...in politics. Perception is very hard to argue. This shouldn't be about politics though. 

Now the remainder of the statement, I can see an argument with. That argument is dependent on what DA (and the BoD) knew, when he/they knew it and what (if any) actions were taken whether legally obligated to do so or not. There have been so many of these threads in the last few months that I've completely lost track of the actual facts. I would like to see a summary of them NOT posted in some snarky ### way.

As far as replacement of "talent," it is understood that transitioning a new group would be extremely difficult. Talent should never be ignored. That being said, I've been part of a similar transition before with the great baby-blue devil known as AT&T (*barf*) We had a very prominent figure and his staff who were completely complicit in some rather unsavory deals in the early 2000's. The biggest problem is...they were dullards, you know...morons. They thought that as long as they didn't report the illegal deals they were being offered, they couldn't possibly be guilty of anything. At the end of the day, that entire group had to resign. But because they held the keys to a certain castle (the purchase of SBC / Yahoo,) they were allowed to transition a new team (which I was part of) in before their departure. In return they were offered some fairly significant severance / incentives and fresh, new talent carried the baton to the finish line.

Now I'm not saying that's what should happen here since I simply don't know the facts. But talent simply cannot be put above safety of the kids. And let's face it, perception is reality even if the perception is clouded or flat out wrong (and I'm not saying it is.)

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, karuna said:

It's already documented here he knew about Larson, knew about Hopkins,  knew about Fiedler,  the list goes on and on.  

And is it allowed to now speak of the third on this list?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Unfortunately, I can't zoom in on the article and have it be readable. 

EDIT: Figured it out. I'm challenged today apparently. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

5 hours ago, garfield said:

I'm focused on the morbidly mistaken and foolhardy notion that getting rid of Dan for optics reasons makes any sense at all.  You keep saying he ignored you and didn't act.  He did act.  He just didn't act in the way you think he should have.  I don't think many people take into count how small our activity is and how difficult it would be to replace Dan and his staff for the money they are now being paid, train them, then expect them to both step into tour management AND pull off the season just beginning.  

Hobbling DCI's ability to hold a tour and generate revenue is not the solution to holding Dan accountable for Larson's participation OR not doing what you think he should have done.

This is just FUD.  There's no evidence that removing Acheson and appointing an interim CEO would hobble DCI.  You're just making that up.

Furthermore there's no evidence that if Acheson were removed, that all of DCI's staff would be removed.  Again -- pure fiction.

These fantasies are just your opinions.  You have a right to them but they're clearly ridiculous and you're making them up. 

IMHO they are a transparent attempt to shore up support for  a CEO whose continued employment merely delays the start of drum corps recovery from the current crisis.  If you can't argue the facts,   try the ol' Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt routine!  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s the same article as the OP.  I just thought people may want to see the hardcopy Sunday edition front page. 

Thanks I’m getting too much bandwidth or something on the cell. Will have to go back to store at lunch and get hard copy 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, karuna said:

This is just FUD.  There's no evidence that removing Acheson and appointing an interim GM would hobble DCI.  You're just making that up.

Furthermore there's no evidence that if Acheson were removed, that all of DCI's staff would be removed.  Again -- pure fiction.

These fantasies are just your opinions.  You have a right to them but they're clearly ridiculous and you're making them up. 

IMHO they are a transparent attempt to shore up support for  a CEO whose continued employment merely delays the start of drum corps recovery from the current crisis.  If you can't argue the facts,   try the ol' Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt routine!  

Gee didn’t YEA remove their head and the board and.... true high learning curve and will take some time to recover but wouldn’t call them hobbled.

And seriously, acting because it became public knowledge is not acting that’s CYA. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

22 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Unfortunately, I can't zoom in on the article and have it be readable. 

EDIT: Figured it out. I'm challenged today apparently. 

As I’ve gotten older, that’s everyday for me.  😂

For instance, I had to look up FUD.  I was thinking, is that like FUBAR?  (It isn’t) 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Haha 1