“Failure to Protect”

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

DCI needs an outside audit of who knew what and when followed by what did each person did or not do. Then let the cleaning begin. And any new BoD member goes under same scruntity. DCI needs to start regaining trust more than just saying “well we have this policy now” and hope the corps follow them.

Excellent place to start. And the longer the wait, the more the distrust festers. We cannot have the Mel Brooks Blazing Saddles "We've got to protect our phony-baloney jobs, gentlemen!" moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Gee didn’t YEA remove their head and the board and.... true high learning curve and will take some time to recover but wouldn’t call them hobbled.

And seriously, acting because it became public knowledge is not acting that’s CYA. 

They got the right people in the right places. The main issue appeared to be the total ditching and re-work of a show segment at the last minute, and loss of the color guard caption head, but whomever stepped up seemed to do very well. George Dixon might be able to elaborate more on it.

USBands had their season this fall as well, thought I have no idea what level of success they had, though having a season at all would in my mind be a very big success.

3 minutes ago, BigW said:

Hey, Jim and Fran! A "Normal"!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

We always called them "Normies" as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Now I think you’ve got it. 

New policies, new governance. And if Dan A has to go, then every DCI Board member does to, and every corps director out on their ear, too.

But new policies and governanance doesn’t have to mean everyone gets fired, does it?

Dan needs to be fired. Yes. The message must be sent both inside and outside the activity that this is never tolerated. 

13 minutes ago, BigW said:

Hey, Jim and Fran! A "Normal"!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

As Kris would tell me "and I thought my brothers friends were crazy"....

And that IS saying something lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Dan needs to be fired. Yes. The message must be sent both inside and outside the activity that this is never tolerated. 

The question might be immediacy. Get certain things in place first, then politely leave. Might be a halfway between what some advocate and others at both ends.

6 minutes ago, BigW said:

The question might be immediacy. Get certain things in place first, then politely leave. Might be a halfway between what some advocate and others at both ends.

Exactly. Some will say that you just rip off the band-aid. However, that can leave a vacuum that won't be able to be overcome. We hear the term "fair and balanced" quite a bit in today's society. The best thing that could happen would be to have a transition team already in place to manage placing the best new and remaining talent where it would best serve the vision of the organization. That usually takes and tremendous amount of time and planning though. You certainly don;t want to replace chaos with even more chaos. 

38 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

As Kris would tell me "and I thought my brothers friends were crazy"....

And that IS saying something lol

My siblings are civilians and they can’t believe I get on planes to go to drum corps shows.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

My siblings are civilians and they can’t believe I get on planes to go to drum corps shows.  

My family got it but co-workers never got the parade bit. 

What did you do 4th of July?

Was at two parades in Baltimore

Oh you watched 2 parades?

No in them

Riding a float or something ?

No marched couple miles playing a horn

Wow how much do you get for that?

• Haha 2