“Failure to Protect”

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

More fact-checking:  the latest article said it was "nearly half".  By my count, the staffers mentioned by this writer worked with 11 of the 24 WC DCI corps.

Ahh, so that's where he got "half".

OK, I can buy his statement as legit then.  I didn't realize it was that many corps.

Lance, I stand corrected (or nearly so).

Edited by garfield

53 minutes ago, garfield said:

You made the contention that Dan's office somehow failed because this venue ended its relationship with DCI, not me.

If DCI replaced the income they lost in future years from this venue, and if DCI wasn't responsible for assuring that members of unaffiliated performance groups are properly vetted, I'm having a hard time understanding how losing this venue is evidence that DCI didn't do its job.

did Dan try to do anything to fix it? Did Dan learn why they lost the show? if he did, he wasn't bothered when they raised the fees so high nothing tied to drum corps could afford them?

cause thats what they did. So Dan, being in charge, had to have asked why the fees sky rocketed right? If he didn't shame on him. That's not a smart business man

57 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, but the contention that the staff resigning is somehow a reflection of OC policies must not be correct if they have a full staff this year.

Right?

the person that was the issue was retained by the corps. No one else wanted to be part of the environment that person created, so they walked. Reddit has been far more forthcoming, as well as the OC facebook stuff posted here not too long ago. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, it's not clear at all.  

A contract with the show host is a contract.  Disputes over that contract would, naturally, include a representative of each side of that contract.  Which is exactly in Dan's job description.  Not surprised at all he would testify by phone if he were asked to represent DCI's side of the disagreement.

Re: the bolded part: maybe THAT'S why they cancelled Dublin!  Now I can believe that.

or maybe Dan found out why Hershey was cancelled and decided he'd rather put his ### on the line for that one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

or maybe Dan found out why Hershey was cancelled and decided he'd rather put his ### on the line for that one.

Yep as big part of the Hershey fiasco was because the show site people refused to sign a contract. So there was not a contract dispute as there was no contract....

No wonder DA wanted to get involved

29 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

More fact-checking...

The show in question was at Naperville on August 4, 2012.  That was a DCA show.  So you are attempting to blame Dan Acheson for losing a venue, when the incident that allegedly caused the college to stop hosting events occurred at a DCA show?  Sounds like your ire should be directed at Gil Silva.  (Or better yet, Scott Stewart.)

By the way, lots of groups perform at DCI shows without being DCI members.  All-age corps, SoundSport groups, and others outside of the pageantry arts.  

yes it was a DCA show at a site DCI ran shows at. When trying to get the venue booked later, the school jacked up fees so much, DCI chose to go elsewhere. So did Dan find out why fees suddenly spiked so much?

or did he just say "ok cya, bye"? Remember Cavaliers did spring training there for years. Didn't they wonder why fees rose so much they couldnt afford to go back?

or is it just easier to say bye, and move on?

Gee if i were a smart businessman, i'd ask why the fees increased...ya know, maybe a negotiation could happen. Or we could know emails were sent that we ignored and walk away.

My hunch is Dan asked why fees increased. And then the next year at several DCi shows, the same member marched in shows with other DCI member and affiliate member corps. And trust me, DCA shouldn't be off the hook here either.

29 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Guess it's just the definition of press these days. If your mean the dwindling number of folks who read the newspaper your correct. There was a thread on Reddit about it, so only those interested in drum corps had access.

yes it was mentioned on reddit, and you'll note that very little was negatively about the the Skyliners. I know, i read it and posted in there

30 minutes ago, garfield said:

Wait, Jeff, is this accurate?

You've been making a case about losing the Naperville show because of an issue with a DCA show participant?

How, exactly, does that land on DCI's doorstep?

I'm obviously confused.  I thought we were talking about an east-coast venue (Hershey?  Naperville?)

read a few posts back swami

Edited by Jeff Ream

22 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes it was a DCA show at a site DCI ran shows at. When trying to get the venue booked later, the school jacked up fees so much, DCI chose to go elsewhere. So did Dan find out why fees suddenly spiked so much?

or did he just say "ok cya, bye"? Remember Cavaliers did spring training there for years. Didn't they wonder why fees rose so much they couldnt afford to go back?

or is it just easier to say bye, and move on?

Gee if i were a smart businessman, i'd ask why the fees increased...ya know, maybe a negotiation could happen. Or we could know emails were sent that we ignored and walk away.

My hunch is Dan asked why fees increased. And then the next year at several DCi shows, the same member marched in shows with other DCI member and affiliate member corps. And trust me, DCA shouldn't be off the hook here either.

I'm still befuddled as to why this is somehow DCI's fault?

1. A DCA show screws things up.

2. The next year DCI calls to schedule a show and the fees are raised so much DCI says No and, apparently, walks away.

3. Cavaliers experienced the same thing.

4. So DCA screws the pooch and DCI and Cavies pay the price and are still held responsible for being "bad businessmen"?

5. It sounds like:  A) Dan and DCI should be very ticked with the DCA corps and DCA for allowing this idiot to participate in their show, and B) Dan and DCI did the correct business thing and walked away despite years of prior association.  In other words, they didn't pay up to maintain the association, right?  

6. And how is what DCI did bad again?

• Like 2