“Failure to Protect”

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

12/19/2018 and Fred Morrison is still the executive director of the Crossmen drum and bugle corps. Morrison knowingly hired as a staff member a man he knew had been stripped of his teaching license in the state of Florida for sexting an underage student.  Making matters worse, Fred Morrison subsequently paid to try to erase the person’s paper trail. Is this the kind of person who should be an executive director of a drum and bugle corps today?  Yet he remains in place.

WHY?

Question #2:  Why has Dan Acheson failed to take definitive action against the Crossmen to get Fred Morrison removed, as he did with Cadets to get Hopkins removed?  Is Dan Acheson applying the rules equitably?  Is he playing favorites?

At Pioneer, kids were maltreated.

At Cadets, kids (and adult employees) were sexually abused.

Anything of that nature occur at Crossmen?

These rebuttals are like a broken record. Always the same. But I read between the lines. Apparently you don’t want to hear it from me anymore. Hence the - you’re doing it wrong you need to contact whomever directly. As if that would make a whit of difference. No. The ONLY thing that got rid of Hopkins and Moody was the public embarrassment of the Philly Inquirer shining a public light on this. And DCP is certainly a more public venue than a “signed letter” (as if THAT would make a whit of difference) to whomever. Look, Crossmen BOD, by now, has demonstrated by their inaction on Morrison to be every bit the rubber stamp the Cadets BOD was when they failed to get rid of Hopkins. So I’m thinking a letter to that BOD is useless. Nope. Public pressure and embarrassment is the only logical course of action at this point. 

Oh, and, characterizing Morrison’s hiring of Moody as an “oopsie” honest mistake made me LOL. No, what it demonstrated was a horrible failure of judgment. And the way he treated staff who dared step forward and complain about it was inexcusable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Hey I pulled the trigger but the gun didn’t fire so no harm no foul amirite?

36 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah given a name on here, I don't see that happening. After all, they supported hiring Moody

Board of Directors

Mark Chambers
Vice President

Caitlin Hall
Board Member

David McIlvoy
Board Member

Maureen Morrison
Treasurer

Mark Purnell
Board Member

John Schock
Board Member

The Crossmen BoD surely has a right to know the grievance and I would surely cc: them, but I'd suggest it's time for questions to be directed at the Chair of the BoD, Kathy Black.

She's a rational person who's deeply passionate about enacting solutions that protect participants.  This is what I'm told by many people, and what I believe I've seen personally.

A rational contact, in writing is highly suggested, addressing the situation with your pitchfork put away may surprise you in the answer and acceptance.

JMO

Edited by garfield

Oh I forgot - no one affiliated with BODs reads drum corps planet. Right. That one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No, the scrubbing of a buddies digital footprint occurred in reaction to GH. No confidence in the ability too protect, that happened.

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

These rebuttals are like a broken record. Always the same. But I read between the lines. Apparently you don’t want to hear it from me anymore. Hence the - you’re doing it wrong you need to contact whomever directly. As if that would make a whit of difference. No. The ONLY thing that got rid of Hopkins and Moody was the public embarrassment of the Philly Inquirer shining a public light on this. And DCP is certainly a more public venue than a “signed letter” (as if THAT would make a whit of difference) to whomever. Look, Crossmen BOD, by now, has demonstrated by their inaction on Morrison to be every bit the rubber stamp the Cadets BOD was when they failed to get rid of Hopkins. So I’m thinking a letter to that BOD is useless. Nope. Public pressure and embarrassment is the only logical course of action at this point. 

Oh, and, characterizing Morrison’s hiring of Moody as an “oopsie” honest mistake made me LOL. No, what it demonstrated was a horrible failure of judgment. And the way he treated staff who dared step forward and complain about it was inexcusable. 

There's not a single thing in this post with which I disagree.  I would not take the public-shaming route, but your approach is always your choice.

Complain on here...  

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

No, the scrubbing of a buddies digital footprint occurred in reaction to GH. No confidence in the ability too protect, that happened.

Wait, please clarify:  You're saying that Morrison paid the scrubbing firm IN RESPONSE to the public announcement of the Hopkins suits?

I thought that he scrubbed during the hiring process - not true?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I get your point here, we see this the same in general.

But, if it's true that the record-scrubbing occurred as a result of the Hopkins suits, is shows a proactive attempt to CYA and hide important information.  If this is Morrison's answer to allowing sunshine in, then I just don't think that his viewpoint fits in with the actions DCI has to take.

Trying to hide a past robs others from making an informed decision about a potential abuser.  That can't be excusable in an activity trying to rid itself of that potential, and not just the optics.