“Failure to Protect”

24 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

check was for under $40.000" makes absolutely no sense at all to me either.

Thanks for the explanation. The bank did not know what to do with the check since it was made out to the Estate of my mothers' name, not mine. After I explained why I couldn't provide the original notarized estate ownership doc because the insurance company has it and I only had copies. After a quick huddle, they said they could deposit it because the rules change above 40k.

47 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

The bank did not know what to do with the check since it was made out to the Estate of my mothers' name, not mine. After I explained why I couldn't provide the original notarized estate ownership doc because the insurance company has it and I only had copies. After a quick huddle, they said they could deposit it because the rules change above 40k.

Weird. Usually we witness Banks giving their long time Bank customers some hurdles perhaps on unusually large withdrawals they might make,... not on their deposits. And " the rules changing " ( made more difficult ) for deposits from their Bank's customers of deposits" above" $40.000" seems a head scratcher to me as well. Did anyone at your personal Bank ever explain to you why they would make it harder for you to deposit a check made out to " Estate of " into their Bank for over " $40, 000 ", than a deposit check made out to " the Estate of " for ( say )...  $40 ?  The Bank has your ID,, including your address where your deceased Mom lived for 14 years.  They had all that info that can easily later connect you to your Mother and her Estate when you opened your Account there.  Why they ( along with the Carrier ) gave you such trouble for " a year " is not only strange,...  much of sounds illegal based on your description of events here.

Edited by BRASSO

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Weird. Usually we witness Banks giving their long time Bank customers some hurdles perhaps on unusually large withdrawals they might make,... not on their deposits. And " the rules changing " ( made more difficult ) for deposits from their Bank's customers of deposits" above" $40.000" seems a head scratcher to me as well. Did anyone at your personal Bank ever explain to you why they would make it harder for you to deposit a check made out to " Estate of " into their Bank for over " $40.000 ", than a deposit check made out to " the Estate of " for ( say )...  $40 ?

Each state may handle this differently. Of course, I don't know this. But sources said that George Steinbrenner died in NY. However, he was afforded a Weekend At Bernies Tampa Style because of the better inheritance tax in Florida. I know I spend to much time on the internet.

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2018 at 11:28 AM, HockeyDad said:

In lieu of all the pitfalls, shortfalls, errors and omissions of background checks and database populating and maintenance, here’s a completely different idea:

A strictly enforced policy of NEVER allowing one-on-one interactions between staff and MMs. There must at all times be at least TWO staff members present if there’s any interface with one MM. Let this policy be broadcast and frequently discussed with staff and MMS until it becomes second nature. There is no reason for one-on-one private interaction between staff and MM. I think that by removing the opportunity for malfeasance, you will greatly reduce the actual malfeasance. And don’t say it’s not possible. Of course it’s possible. Do it. 

Its not a bad suggestion, imo. As a matter of fact, wise teachers learned long ago not to be alone with a student even in their own classroom if they can help it. If we think about it,  such precautions protects them BOTH.

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

As a matter of fact, wise teachers learned long ago not to be alone with a student even in their own classroom if they can help it.

AMEN. Was a well known precaution to take at least 4 decades ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BigW said:

AMEN. Was a well known precaution to take at least 4 decades ago.

Ditto:  Taught for three years at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center some 36 years ago.  Same rules applied even in that environment. You wouldn't believe some of the behaviors students exhibited. An institution is an institution, is an institution, no matter what side of the fence it's on.  

• Like 2

whenever a student comes alone in my room, i make sure to open my door, put a wedge in to keep it open, and tell at least one other teacher nearby about it

common sense for anybody in public education

and this is not a complaint

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Lance said:

whenever a student comes alone in my room, i make sure to open my door, put a wedge in to keep it open, and tell at least one other teacher nearby about it

common sense for anybody in public education

and this is not a complaint

I teach college & follow same policy.  Once had a student email that she would do "anything (ANYTHING)" for a better grade.  Was tempted as the truck did need waxing

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I teach college & follow same policy.  Once had a student email that she would do "anything (ANYTHING)" for a better grade.  Was tempted as the truck did need waxing

I know it would have been a she said he said situation, but I would have reported her no matter what the blow back was to me.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Equivalent of the band room needed a thorough cleaning and everything put back in the right place.