“Failure to Protect”

So if the practice of no one-on-one teacher/student or staff/student is so well known and applied, WTF is going on in the drum corps and why isn’t it being applied there?  Is the leadership of these corps complete morons?

9 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So if the practice of no one-on-one teacher/student or staff/student is so well known and applied, WTF is going on in the drum corps and why isn’t it being applied there?  Is the leadership of these corps complete morons?

You know, this made me think. For all the "We have great educators and professionals here, only the very best, you have to believe me" that we hear from DCI, (And I would say in the majority of cases they do)… How does the unprofessional behavior slide? 

I think it's for a variety of reasons, none of them good. I think when the corps has more of a professional leadership in nature that gets that... they have less issues and get the right people in place, and avoid the bad eggs. That barely scratches the surface of an answer for which I apologize, I'm a bit time constrained. Take it from there, folks.

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

As previously mentioned, I have firsthand knowledge of several corps that do already have it as a written policy and enforce it. 

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

I know it would have been a she said he said situation, but I would have reported her no matter what the blow back was to me.

The rest of the story is that at same time she got caught up in an academic dishonesty situation.  For our dean at the time academic dishonesty was like tossing raw meat to a wolf. Her email to me was a bit of blood added to the raw meat.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The rest of the story is that at same time she got caught up in an academic dishonesty situation.  For our dean at the time academic dishonesty was like tossing raw meat to a wolf. Her email to me was a bit of blood added to the raw meat.  

Academic Dishonesty also seems to be a real issue of late. Friend is a Humanities prof at the local Community College and has seen it happen at least an average of once a year where a student cuts and pastes papers and scholarly articles off the net verbatim to create assignments. They seem to be more lenient there, more where they use it as a teachable moment and tell them to redo the assignment or get a Zero for it. Prolly because it appears to them that kids aren't learning that in High School where they should have.

1/10th of a point regarding a final test score could mean a plane ticket home and no job upon return. You also had to have an awareness of potential suicidal behavior.  I walked past a Border Patrol  student and she (you had to be a pretty tough cookie male or female back in the day to get to that 17th week) was crying. I asked  if she needed help. She had just been notified she had missed passing her final Spanish Exam by 2 percentage points.  All that daily jogging, boxing, tracking training, firearms, pursuit driving course, etc. in a really rigorous program down the drain. (I had the utmost respect for Border Patrol students)  I took her to the BP HQ for assistance.  If anyone needed a hug at that time it was her, but, but act in haste out of emotion and repent at leisure. Felt like a heel but better safe than sorry. You never can tell!  And besides the Eagle did it's thing every two weeks and with a family you can't throw that away.  Could go on and on but the point is we had a sense of decency but also a strong dose of prudence.  This was also at a time when Slick Willie had his hand in the cookie jar.  If I had done one millionth of what he did I wouldn't have a retirement as my feet would have never hit the ground on my way out the door.  There has to be a strong cause and effect deterrent for all involved from top to bottom.    

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, geluf said:

I mean, good lord, Morrison *hired a service* to have Moody's name scrubbed from internet searches!  And he's still running the Crossmen!

Exactly, The BOD are not the ones at risk! Where do we go from here? How is dci going to level the playing field when these individuals could just "Get A Fred" and pass the vetting with ease? There is more than one elephant in the room OC. Dci / Corps needs to protect the kids on tour and in camps. They already have technology working against them with fantasy vetting and ringers for references.

So questionable up to criminal behavior is wiped from the net, dci hires. But let us stop there I read where dci jobs are hard to get. How many individuals just pop up out of the blue? They are already known by peers, marched with. These are off the reference, references done a lot in business, using a personal contact that worked there. Cracks widen when folks do not speak up.

Oh, I am not forgetting the valiant effort by the OC Staff that has been ignored and efforts by other staffs & MMs that occurred and were discarded. Them, Tricia, Donna Bell and anyone else should be honored at the 2019 dci (like Terri mentioned). Not gonna happen is dci just rotting at the core? 

Dci announced some type of social media monitoring by them and recommend that for the Corps, great. However, Fred already found a workaround for that. So where are we?

Dci is left with policing a known problem. I would announce that dci is utilizing software used to detect grooming. That their privacy is not being breached. However, there may be times where your communication with the MMs is questioned and inspected in extream situations.. Simple mac to mac software is monitoring connectivity between devices.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

As previously mentioned, I have firsthand knowledge of several corps that do already have it as a written policy and enforce it. 

Mike

That’s great. Which ones?

On 12/27/2018 at 10:19 PM, BRASSO said:

Its not a bad suggestion, imo. As a matter of fact, wise teachers learned long ago not to be alone with a student even in their own classroom if they can help it. If we think about it,  such precautions protects them BOTH.

Teachers not being alone with students has been a no-brainer for decades where I have taught. In the bands I have taught over the past 25 years+, we also mandate that the  marching members always travel in at least pairs. They should never be wandering around solo.

9 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

because some people don't think