“Failure to Protect”

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

From what I’ve read about these companies after very little research is that they suppress and attempt to expunge the bad.  It all seems very seedy to me. 

Can dig that. Don’t think it would take much pushing for sites like yelp to give way. “Gee they’re threatening legal action.... time to delete as not worth it”.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

When you say “DCI HQ” who are you talking about?  Dan Acheson?  Someone else?  The building they work in?  Dan is the man in charge. So I’ve been wondering why you say “DCI HQ”. 

Agreed. The board would have to make that call, Dan can’t alone 

10 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I havn't done that since the 80s when the January Conferences were in Lombard. I was a guest spesker on how to use CATV message boards to advertize dci. A very small contribution. Since then I been a nobody that loves the activity and would welcome  a way to contribute but for now I just bug you folks on DCP.

I ask because you seem to have appointed yourself an expert on all they should do regarding online presence

9 minutes ago, BigW said:

The 5% that is related is bad enough! 

It is and myself and others have mentioned it several times but has little to do with Bluesz big brother fears/ideas

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How can you alter data that is not under your control

An open source project, Solid, gives you the final say over personal info. You can decide where the data goes, who's allowed to see certain elements,which apps can access that data. I think this is a project out of MIT and not indended to hide storied pasts but being opened sourced folks try to make money from other peoples well intended good work.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

. Things that were just part of growing up maybe innocent stuff then in their day, but are now enough to get you fired.

Not really. Sexual abuse, rape, videotaping minors in clothes changing areas, sex texting minors, etc is not " innocent stuff ". Sexual assault was sexual assault when you were a minor too, bluezes. What has changed is that people that are victims of assault, sexual exploitation, etc are increasingly no longer putting up with such predatory behaviors on the part of adults as perhaps they may have out of fear in the past. We are not currently discussing " innocent stuff " here on this thread either, bluezes. We are talking about predatory transgressions on the part of adults with minors or young adults in DCI that were every bit as odorous and " non innocent " here in 2019 as they were in ( say ) 1955..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 2

I have been reading along with this since the beginning, despite the difficulty following some folks logic and opinion, but hey, they are entitled.  I will say, the only way we can truly make a statement to DCI and more importantly the Corps, (because the corps ARE DCI) is to stop supporting the activity with our time and our wallets.  It is difficult to do for many, if for no other reason, it will affect the kids on the field that do not deserve the consequences at all, but it is the only way we will send a message strong enough to make a statement.  No shows, no volunteer work, no buying shirts or CD's/audio recordings, not any financial support in any way.  That will send a message that the handling of this entire situation is unacceptable to us fans.

Now, I do understand it puts the activity on the brink of existence (assuming everyone actually stops supporting), but how do we really keep supporting this when they seemingly only care to protect their own, and don't take the logical steps needed to really clean this up going forward?  And when I say protecting their own, I am specifically referencing the Fred Morrison situation, because it is as egregious as it could get in my opinion, short of being a predator himself, and this soap opera that is Pioneer?  These issues are so obvious in my book, as to how to handle them, it is shocking to me they have not been more swift with shutting them down.  

I would love to hear opinions on this.  Thanks.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

An open source project, Solid, gives you the final say over personal info. You can decide where the data goes, who's allowed to see certain elements,which apps can access that data. I think this is a project out of MIT and not indended to hide storied pasts but being opened sourced folks try to make money from other poeples well intended good work.

So you’re saying make a copy of the data and then you decide what gets saved and who sees what. Meanwhile you still have the original data out there that can be checked.

dang sounds like part of my job (well picking out what data gets pulled/copied to be reused)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

32 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

I have been reading along with this since the beginning, despite the difficulty following some folks logic and opinion, but hey, they are entitled.  I will say, the only way we can truly make a statement to DCI and more importantly the Corps, (because the corps ARE DCI) is to stop supporting the activity with our time and our wallets.  It is difficult to do for many, if for no other reason, it will affect the kids on the field that do not deserve the consequences at all, but it is the only way we will send a message strong enough to make a statement.  No shows, no volunteer work, no buying shirts or CD's/audio recordings, not any financial support in any way.  That will send a message that the handling of this entire situation is unacceptable to us fans.

Now, I do understand it puts the activity on the brink of existence (assuming everyone actually stops supporting), but how do we really keep supporting this when they seemingly only care to protect their own, and don't take the logical steps needed to really clean this up going forward?  And when I say protecting their own, I am specifically referencing the Fred Morrison situation, because it is as egregious as it could get in my opinion, short of being a predator himself, and this soap opera that is Pioneer?  These issues are so obvious in my book, as to how to handle them, it is shocking to me they have not been more swift with shutting them down.  

I would love to hear opinions on this.  Thanks.

DCI is at a crossroads. It has to get this right. Call me an optimist on this, but I believe DCI has enough good and decent people in it, to get this right, and indeed make the activity safer for MM's than it has been. I'm not there yet in witholding financial support, nor recommending such. But I can certainly understand those that have already crossed that threshold, and won't hold this against them should they decide to do so.

I would only ask fans, if they can, to give this some more time to see how it all plays out here, and how DCI handles it moving forward. DCI can't give lip service anymore. They need to change and not allow DCI to become a haven for these creeps.. nor their enablers. Maybe DCI botches it. If so, they'll have only themselves to blame if it all comes crashing down. That said, for the sake of the many" innocents " here in DCI... the many good and decent people throughout the DCI ranks... lets give them a chance to be heard and to see if they can right this ship. I'm willing to see how this all plays out over the next year or two. I think we all should know by then, if not sooner.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

DCI is at a crossroads. It has to get this right. Call me an optimist on this, but I believe DCI has enough good and decent people in it, to get this right, and indeed make the activity safer for MM's than it has been. I'm not there yet in witholding financial support, nor recommending such. But I can certainly understand those that have already crossed that threshold, and won't hold this against them should they decide to do so.

I would only ask fans, if they can, to give this some more time to see how it all plays out here, and how DCI handles it moving forward. DCI can't give lip service anymore. They need to change and not allow DCI to become a haven for these creeps.. nor their enablers. Maybe DCI botches it. If so, they'll have only themselves to blame if it all comes crashing down. That said, for the sake of the many" innocents " here in DCI... the many good and decent people... lets give them a chance to be heard and to see if they can right this ship. I'm willing to see how this all plays out over the next year or two. I think we all should know by then, if not sooner.

You know what Brasso - I wrote that note because I do see it as a way to send a strong message, but I too want to see DCI survive and thrive, and I am willing to give it more time as well.  I feel the way I do mostly because of the poor way DCI has handled some of the issues.  I know the way they are organized/chartered, but they could and should handle some of the issues in a more direct and clear fashion.

Lets all watch and see how things are handled such as Pioneer and Mr. Morrisson.  Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1