“Failure to Protect”

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Why the H-E-Double-Drumsticks should I HAVE to make proofing statements?  I made the point that the article is incorrect.  If the paper is going to release these accusations into the public, they dang-well have an obligation to be fair, balanced, and truthful.

Little ole' me pointing out three errors in an article of this import should raise some eyebrows, and not because it's me.

Jeff used incorrect words to make an invalid point.  Sorry if that twisted your boxers!  

You said DCI took action and when you were asked for info you repeatedly danced around it by saying the “correct” word wasn’t used. Playing games in my book with a subject that is DEAD serious. Yeah that twists my briefs as you put it.

3 hours ago, JackTripper said:

I wonder why the Texas news outlets don't think there is any value in covering the Crossmen and Genesis stories considering how big marching band is in the state? They can only do so much at philly.com if it's not local.

Seems like the Indy Star might get interested. It fully developed the gymnastics story and DCI is in its backyard, of course.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

we got it several weeks ago.

i was shocked at the names not listed

What names weren't listed?  Might as well blow it all up into the open now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How about a bus that carries it’s own practice field....  or *groan* show site

I have a question about this though...and I'm not being snarky when I say it.  The college whose coach was sexually assaulting people, did they have to take a season off or not be housed at certain places because of what their coach did?  I understand the problem, I do, but the kids aren't the problem and it feels like everyone is just ready to walk away from them.  Does stricter guidelines and processes need to be in place moving forward?  Absolutely!  My MM started corps at 14 & I am the first to say I put a LOT of faith in to that staff!  I would be crushed if something like this were to happen or come to light.  ...but I also know what this activity has done for my MM and I am grateful for that.  DCI as we know it is in trouble, the ripple effect of this will be huge.  Adults should know better (duh!), but obviously there are some rotten apples in the bunch.  I'm trying to figure out a way to provide a database of information that could be useful for all corps because I not only want to see change to prevent these types of situations, but I also want this activity to continue for the sake of the many kids whose lives it positively impacts.   

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

we got it several weeks ago.

i was shocked at the names not listed

Any chance you'll send me a PM with some of those names?  

As an aside, I know the Philadelphia Inquirer has a pretty good Pulitzer record.

This is really fine investigative journalism and wonder if they'd consider entering it for the award.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCIat14 said:

I have a question about this though...and I'm not being snarky when I say it.  The college whose coach was sexually assaulting people, did they have to take a season off or not be housed at certain places because of what their coach did?  I understand the problem, I do, but the kids aren't the problem and it feels like everyone is just ready to walk away from them.  Does stricter guidelines and processes need to be in place moving forward?  Absolutely!  My MM started corps at 14 & I am the first to say I put a LOT of faith in to that staff!  I would be crushed if something like this were to happen or come to light.  ...but I also know what this activity has done for my MM and I am grateful for that.  DCI as we know it is in trouble, the ripple effect of this will be huge.  Adults should know better (duh!), but obviously there are some rotten apples in the bunch.  I'm trying to figure out a way to provide a database of information that could be useful for all corps because I not only want to see change to prevent these types of situations, but I also want this activity to continue for the sake of the many kids whose lives it positively impacts.   

Any chance you'll send me a PM with some of those names?  

Colleges that are housed at another competing college would be a different issue (I think). I was thinking  of the public schools in my area that take grief for having “outsiders” (non local taxpayers) use the facilities that the locals pay for. Fees from corps aside my town has people who gripe about the high school band “wasting” money. Having this mess would have them more ammo to shut the school from out side users.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, garfield said:

Why the H-E-Double-Drumsticks should I HAVE to make proofing statements?  I made the point that the article is incorrect.  If the paper is going to release these accusations into the public, they dang-well have an obligation to be fair, balanced, and truthful.

Little ole' me pointing out three errors in an article of this import should raise some eyebrows, and not because it's me.

Jeff used incorrect words to make an invalid point.  Sorry if that twisted your boxers!  

May I offer that the point here is you appear to be straining at the gnat and passing the camel. That's how your comments are being perceived. That might not be your intent, but perception being reality, that's what we have. Please don't shoot the messenger. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Thanks for that! 

Facts don't matter!  Rejoice!

Please demand accuracy from the author with the same vigor with which you sharpen your tines and thrust them at me.

Thank god we have you here to keep us focused on what's actually important. Otherwise we might be busy discussing silly things like the systemic abuse that has existed in drum corps for decades. *whew*

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

It doesn't say "suspended", Jeff, it says "disciplined".

Heck, I personally know of a corps that was disciplined for demanding that a host school turn off the emergency lighting in the gym so the kids could sleep. 

The tour director claimed he was only looking out for "his" kids, but the response was "And what happens when there's a fire and your kids can't find their way out of the gym they just moved in to?"

Personally, I read the article, and the way that "disciplined" was used......and I infer that the "discipline" is in regard to the issues brought up in the article. Could it have used a bit more clarification? Perhaps. Does it really change anything? Not at all.

BTW, in one of your posts:

"Little ole' me pointing out three errors in an article of this import should raise some eyebrows, and not because it's me. Jeff used incorrect words to make an invalid point..."

I think you meant to say "important".......not that it makes a difference.

Edited by bullethead
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Colleges that are housed at another competing college would be a different issue (I think). I was thinking  of the public schools in my area that take grief for having “outsiders” (non local taxpayers) use the facilities that the locals pay for. Fees from corps aside my town has people who gripe about the high school band “wasting” money. Having this mess would have them more ammo to shut the school from out side users.

And I forgot about the Hades DCI East went thru finding housing sites this year. And the only scandal going on was GH at the time. Now we have lot more corps names . And what happens if a 2018 host school sees the names and realizes they hosted that corps. Or even signed paperwork from a PERSON who was named. That’s a helluva school board election issue right there

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Missed East after DCI