“Failure to Protect”

If there is any good news here for the future safety of  future marchers its that staffers or potential hired  staffers in the future are no longer going to have their checkered pasts allowed to be hidden from the public. It will be good if DCI HQ and/ or the DCI Corps themselves finally received a wake up call by now that hiring/ retaining these people with such checkered pasts is simply not worth taking chances on. But the days when these people could seek safe havens and " second chances " in DCI Drum Corps is likely coming to an end, imo. Corps that hire/ retain these predatory staffers are going to find their Corps marching ranks of quality applicants slowly but surely becoming depleted, sources of donations drying up,  Corporate sponsorships lost, volunteerism drying up, and so forth. Thats because the social media is not going away any time soon. Background checks will  be done, whether its done by the Corps themselves, or just fans or a newspaper reporter somewhere with a computer and access to a Sex Offender or a State's Teacher Certification data base. The information of previous violations is no longer going to be allowed to be hidden from the public view and especially from Parents of potential applicants to Corps. Its better if the info got out there from DCI/ Corps, but make no mistake, the info WILL eventually get out there and into the public square. Thats a GOOD future potential development here, as the safety of marchers and potential future marchers in DCI Drum Corps is guaranteed to get better, as the Corps that don't do the right thing moving forward now are likely to disappear.  Most Parents do not want to send their kids to Corps that do not put the safety of their children as THE top priority above all others. Thus, a public scrutiny " market correction " has a way of " correcting " any irresponsibly  bad decisions with the hires/retentions that any Corps insists on maintaining for themselves as we move forward on all this, imo. In sum.. do the right thing on staff hires/ retentions, report and deal appropriately with wrongdoing, .. or cease to exist.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

I'm not questioning whether or not she did research, but statements like this one paint a completely different picture of the activity, and DCI, than are true or warranted:

"DCI can discipline or suspend corps for violating its policies. But until it put the Cadets on probation in April, DCI had never disciplined a corps for concerns about participant safety."

Bold mine, as is my contention that this statement is absolutely false and misleading.

Unless, of course, one defines "participant safety" as a myopic subject focused only on sexual harassment.  Many people know of many corps that have been disciplined over concerns of participant safety.  Food safety, travel safety, medical safety...

This seems like a point that Dan Acheson could have made in an interview.

Serial molesters who go to jail/prison and are released will do it again. They don't pay their debt to society they just have a record and the chance to do it again.

his relationship was caught when she was in 12th grade. The girl and her mother stuck by his side 

I still remember back in early November when Acheson made a pathetic attempt to get in front of this story.

He responded to her request for a comment with the same perfunctory nonsense that he put out a few days ago.  

It made Acheson and DCI look like idiots, and the going through the motions response only lends credence to  Ms. Nadolny's piece.

Excuses and avoidance are not a pathway to a solution.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If the spotlight of these articles do not clear out the cockroaches from the staffs and admins of all our beloved corps then the corps do not need to exist at all. For the love of all that is decent ... PURGE!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Keep waiting, Mr. Snarky.  It doesn't say "...put on probation...", either.

Nice try, but that's a fail.

The article says corps are not DISCIPLINED for matters relating to participant safety.  That's false.

I'm sure this is not what you intended, but here's how I think a number of people are reading your responses:

"Because of mistakes like using the word "disciplined" instead of "suspended", I don't believe the main thrust of the article is true."

Anyway, I've found that Nadolny responds amicably to informational or corrective emails. You may too, if you choose to set her straight.

Keep waiting, Mr. Snarky.  It doesn't say "...put on probation...", either.

Nice try, but that's a fail.

The article says corps are not DISCIPLINED for matters relating to participant safety.  That's false.

prior to April give one example of anything done. i'll wait. Pio was told to not use the guy. no Discipline. Nothing.

Don't you ####### get it? It's way beyond time and way beyond DCI's best interest for transparency on this issue, and the reason I know you'll snark back with no examples is because there are no examples. What's happened to OC? That's been out there since August. Athinson was raised on here and elsewhere as was Moody. So please, show what the #### DCI has done besides some corps maybe doing the right hting, several not a ###### thing and HQ and the Board looking the other way because "it's not our charter"?

I'll wait. You'll snark back with yet nothing to offer. Why? because if DCI HAD done something, it'd be known. You don't think some of us know people that tell us things?

And the article needs to be accurate.

(Notice that I did not challenge what you wrote.)

so point out whats wrong, and in fact publish a correction on Tricia's various feeds.

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

One of the things that strikes me about this article is that its primary focus is on the hiring of people who had FORMER charges against them.

What about people--like Hopkins--who hadn't been charged before, but may be guilty of misconduct within drum corps?

Do we believe that there aren't any of those operating in drum corps today or recently?

The solution is to develop a culture where victims and witnesses feel comfortable to report activity they think is wrong and where the activity's leadership takes swift corrective action to investigate possible wrongdoing and remove and report actual miscreants.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

Most will be protected by the "I know of someone, but I'm not willing to say their name" phenomenon that seems to dominate such a discussion--even here.

i have heard names, but i don't know enough facts to go public with it, because if I am wrong, my ### is on the line in a courtroom i am sure.

• Like 1