“Failure to Protect”

42 minutes ago, BigW said:

I was told years ago by an arranger that getting performance rights for "educational purposes" makes a significant difference in outlay.

Only if it is truly for educational pourpose. A snippet in the classroom used directly for formal edication is deemed educational exemption and free from any fee or permission;. A performance in the school gym for non-paying attendance is where it starts needing permission from the Copyright Holders and sometimes entails a small fee because it is now moving out of the classroom and intended for public consumption; and it moves all the way up to pro performance with the public payng high price tickets at major venues. DCI is considered by the publishers today as being way closer to the public paying for pro quality  performance in major venues than as school bands in the local gyms playing for non-paying parents; and to me rightly so.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

You’ve educated many on fashion 

"OK... here's what you don't want to wear!!!"  :tongue:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Good grief Charle Brown. In this sandbox, for example, Jeff and I have thrown sand in each other's eye, we have both been put in time out by the Mods who keep the sandbox in order, and neither one of us cares about popular points; and neither one of us has cried woe is me; and yet Jeff and I still have great civil discussions.  Watch the scene in the movie Lean On Me where Robert Guillaume and Morgan Freeman go toe to toe then go get something to eat. That resembles this sandbox.

Reminds me of the typical DCA winter meeting back in the day. Directors shouting at each other... pounding their fists on the table over whatever issue... then having drinks and dinner together later and laughing at all their war stories.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Funny thing is that Love is also a four-letter word! 😋

And can be interchangeable lol

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

That comparison is unnecessary, inappropriate, and (more importantly) fails to advance your point.  So, too, does most of the fuss over paying for a service that merely alters the rank order of online search results, or why he resigned from this BOD and not that BOD.

My mind was made up at the "he hired WHO?" stage.  

Okay, let us look at that.

Pioneer.  Every Blenski household meal was, by default, a Pioneer BOD meeting.  Their kitchen table was at least a quorum, if not full BOD attendance.

Cadets.  What was the DCI approach to the YEA board?  Was there one?  Remember, the YEA BOD resigned before DCI placed Cadets on probation.

Crossmen.  I see seven board members listed on their website.  Only two are named Morrison.  Yes, that is two too many for my liking... but are all seven in the Morrison family or household?  If not, please clarify how DCI is being inconsistent.

Actually the YEA board was told they had to resign or probation would have been suspension.

and you need more than 2? That’s too many to begin with.

so dci told Cadets totally new leadership or else. That’s documented. Same for Pioneer. But Fed skates. That’s consistent? Hardly 

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, BigW said:

I was told years ago by an arranger that getting performance rights for "educational purposes" makes a significant difference in outlay.

So does stadium rent 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Here ya go.. helpful cure :

Image result for coffee headache...... gifs

Jack Daniels cured you lol 

12 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

"OK... here's what you don't want to wear!!!"  :tongue:

I was trying to be nice 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Reminds me of the typical DCA winter meeting back in the day. Directors shouting at each other... pounding their fists on the table over whatever issue... then having drinks and dinner together later and laughing at all their war stories.  LOL.

Hell sounds like most TOB staffs After critique is over 

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Only if it is truly for educational pourpose. A snippet in the classroom used directly for formal edication is deemed educational exemption and free from any fee or permission;. A performance in the school gym for non-paying attendance is where it starts needing permission from the Copyright Holders and sometimes entails a small fee because it is now moving out of the classroom and intended for public consumption; and it moves all the way up to pro performance with the public payng high price tickets at major venues. DCI is considered by the publishers today as being way closer to the public paying for pro quality  performance in major venues than as school bands in the local gyms playing for non-paying parents; and to me rightly so.

I read the tresona statement awhile ago, and part of it is that they're not tied to a college or High School, and also because they are in effect multi million dollar corporations in their eyes, yes.