“Failure to Protect”

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

“Scott Stewart, then the executive director of the Kilties, in an interview said he has known Larson since he was 10 and decided to let him march because he had served his time and should not be kept from doing “something he loved.”

guess he didn't read the terms of his probation

"In the years since, every time Larson resurfaced in the very world where he groomed her for abuse, a part of her wonders why she bothered speaking up."

I've been fuming on this one for awhile and been ready to go off on another thread in the DCA forum. That quote set off my bomb.

Way to go, Kilties. For years, whenever Larson was even remotely touched on by individuals on DCP, members from the Kilties would circle the wagons  and blow some pretty thick smoke screens. One clown posted something to the effect "Oh, some people are convicted of silly and unfair things that put them on the sexual predator list like public urination. Don't be so judgmental." (pretty memorable...) Even then, I thought to myself, 'how stupid do you think any of us are here to throw out those fig leaves!?'

For years I've quietly had them on my 'don't ever tell any kid to go there' list and steered Midwest kids anywhere but when asked.

Teri says there are still BoD people who felt fine with Larson's presence and saw nothing wrong with it. My guess it was beyond 'he paid his debt to society'. More that they figured they needed the  lights-out screamer to try and pull themselves out of missing DCA finals for the umpteenth time.

If that's the case- and I don't normally make these kinds of comments here, to quote Oliver Cromwell to the Parliament, if you're one of those who supported that guy and blew the smokescreens on the Kilties BoD,

"IN THE NAME OF GOD, GO!"

In the name of God, go!

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, geluf said:

No we shouldn't, because many of the people who ENABLED those staff members and then tried to cover for them are still in authority positions.

The fish rots from the head down.

exactly. and now what many have discussed privately about OC has now come out after the 18 season.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ouooga said:

No corps in my state. Is it viable to join a board or volunteer when you're from out of state?

Sure.  Talk with the volunteers driving or cooking for corps on tour, and you will be amazed at where they all come from.

Also, corps can use help finding housing sites away from their home base while on tour... or audition sites in selected areas where membership interest lies.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Acknowledging that, I would feel more confident having an improved process that prevents people from making/maintaining risky hires in the first place.

What's sad is that knowing this stuff... people made the decision to do it even without a process or rule in place. Lack of morality and ethics. Period. Sad.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

Keep in mind that according to this article, Joel's teaching license was suspended in 2011 for a period of at least five years. That suggests that he may be legally allowed to work as a teacher in the State at this time. If that's the case, does it change how people view his participation in drum corps? I suspect the answers are mixed. This is extremely tricky territory.

its not a grey area in my mind ( although I recognize it could be with others). As far as I'm concerned, its a " One Strike and You're Out " situation. There is no " second chance " as far as I'm concerned. We are talking about the most vulnerable among us. Youthful, unsuspecting, and trusting young adults. Some are minors. Once an adult breeches that proxy trust they have been granted by Parents to supervise and train their siblings in a responsible manner, the violator loses that permission forever in my opinion. Corps travel overnight 9 weeks from school to school.  Adults that have shown not to be trustworthy... even in a single incident... should never be permitted anymore to be put in  a supervisory capacity with a minor or a young adult in any 9 week summer overnight travel activity. Period. Let that predator go find work, hobbies that do not involve overnight travels in the summer with vulnerable youth. They had their chance. They blew it. Forever, imo. They can get " a second chance " to freely work and hobbies that involve their adult peers. But allow them to work with Youth in 9 week summer long overnight travels ? No. Not with my children anyway. I don't take such chances that the predator might've found " redemption ". Not on my watch anyway.

The Young victims of predatory behaviors by adults in supervisory capacities whose believing trust has been so callously violated by these creeps do not get " a second chance ". That Trust on the part of the victims can never be restored for THEM.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, BigW said:

"In the years since, every time Larson resurfaced in the very world where he groomed her for abuse, a part of her wonders why she bothered speaking up."

I've been fuming on this one for awhile and been ready to go off on another thread in the DCA forum. That quote set off my bomb.

Way to go, Kilties. For years, whenever Larson was even remotely touched on by individuals on DCP, members from the Kilties would circle the wagons  and blow some pretty thick smoke screens. One clown posted something to the effect "Oh, some people are convicted of silly and unfair things that put them on the sexual predator list like public urination. Don't be so judgmental." (pretty memorable...) Even then, I thought to myself, 'how stupid do you think any of us are here to throw out those fig leaves!?'

For years I've quietly had them on my 'don't ever tell any kid to go there' list and steered Midwest kids anywhere but when asked.

Teri says there are still BoD people who felt fine with Larson's presence and saw nothing wrong with it. My guess it was beyond 'he paid his debt to society'. More that they figured they needed the  lights-out screamer to try and pull themselves out of missing DCA finals for the umpteenth time.

If that's the case- and I don't normally make these kinds of comments here, to quote Oliver Cromwell to the Parliament, if you're one of those who supported that guy and blew the smokescreens on the Kilties BoD,

"IN THE NAME OF GOD, GO!"

In the name of God, go!

I wish all they did was circle the wagons. They threatened people for bringing this to the drum corps community‘s attention.  I have the letters and my attorney has them on file to prove it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1