“Failure to Protect”

3 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Here is a tragic story involving sexual misconduct in drum corps that goes back 40 years and was not setteled till 2016. 

http://www.comingforward.ca/donna-bells-trial-its-about-time/

Its sad her case was heard before a Judge, and not a Trial by a Jury of her Peers, as would have been the case in the US.  The next time someone attempts to poke their finger in our face and tell us in no uncertain terms how much better things are in other countries.. in this case, Canada, ...remind them of the lack of a Guarantee Jury Trial for the victim in this case ( not guaranteed to victims in Canada, if the crime carries a sentence, if the rapist is convicted, of not at least 5 years in prison. In the US, its a mere 6 months requirement threshold, easily met, by contrast ) What is also astounding is that in 1976 an adult who has sex with a minor ( called statutory rape ) was not punishable, even if the rapist was convicted, of at least 5 years in prison as the penalty in Canada for raping the minor child multiple times over the course of several months .. Also, maybe send them along this discussion piece among Canadians themselves on how some there view the Trial by Jury, System so fundamental to our Bill Of Rights guarantees here in the US that most of us here probably just take for granted its a fundamental Right all should have in any Free Society.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/reasonable-doubt-why-we-need-jury-trials/

Edited by BRASSO

31 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well i'll go with Garfields explanation. the Board didn't want him to or give him the power to do it.

two wrongs dont make a right

The problem with this is A) it’s a virtual certainty that if the board directed him to remains silent , he has no evidence B) it’s essentially an illegal order. He should have known better.   

As for did he know...it is completely inconceivable that all of the DCI community knew about most of these incidents and yet the CEO somehow did not. He just can’t make that claim in a convincing fashion.  No will ( or should ) believe it.  

It will only take one or two persons willing to go on the record to detonate a much more serious crisis. Inappropriate behavior by individuals is one thing;  an active attempt to conceal that behavior is quite another.  Acheson’s resignation would go a long way to ameliorating that news.  The former CEO is a much more tolerable news item than the current CEO of DCI. 

9 minutes ago, karuna said:

As for did he know...it is completely inconceivable that all of the DCI community knew about most of these incidents and yet the CEO somehow did not. He just can’t make that claim in a convincing fashion.    

It sort of reminds me of this segment in the movie " Casablanca "

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well i'll go with Garfields explanation. the Board didn't want him to or give him the power to do it.

two wrongs dont make a right

Agreed on that principle, but why would the board do nothing? I have guesses and don't want to sound utterly crazy, but I find the basic idea that they sat back and let the smokescreen get thicker to be unethical to say the very least.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Can you clarify, please? Is it your contention that DA was ignorant about GH, Crossmen, Genesis, OC and all the other myriad  scandals surrounding our cherished activity? I am not asking about what he did or did not do. I am asking did he know anything. 

Don't know.

Did he fail to act as required?  Still waiting for evidence either way.

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

In one of the original DCI statements on the matter didn't DCI/DA state they were informed back in January of the allegations?

I know this is factually true whether or not it was in those statements.  Many of us did.  The room was packed in January.  

I don't know what part it plays in time of his knowledge, if any.

EDIT: To clarify, I can attest that Dan and everyone else in the room in January (at the Janual meeting) heard one of the DCI at-large BoD members inform the crowd of the context of allegations made by MM exiting their year.  That's NOT at all to say that DCI or anyone outside of the Plaintiffs in the Cadets knew of the charges against GH in January.

Edited by garfield

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Just doing a quick DCP search for "Stuart Rice" brings up countless, and I mean many, many, many comments from VERY prominent and consistent posters HERE that this person, Stuart Rice, was GUILTY of making baseless claims, having no proof to substantiate them, and was actually guilty and spineless because he wouldn't go to authorities but blamed others for nothing ever happening.

Hmm...

Just so I have this straight, THIS is the same person you're referencing?  Isn't this a damnation of the reporter's methods?  It appears MANY people here knew him and maybe interacted with him.  If it's reasonable to presume the reporter is following DCP, why aren't those poster's CURRENT posts referenced in the article?  That the RAMD community largely became DCP and many of those then still are here, and THEY say Stuart was to blame, made vacuous claims with no evidence?

I find this article to have little value to your claim that Dan A should be fired based on Stuart Rice's claims being a contributor to his incompetence.

Edited by garfield