Callback camps

I get that every spot is open and in the auditions that I have been involved in very very few vets do not get a contract. I can only say what I have witnessed and this weekend there were 36 trumpets trying for 6 open spots and in my opinion that’s ridiculous if you only have 6 spots callback 12. Or don’t charge the ones that are cut it costs a lot of money to fly across the country to only have a 1 in 6 shot. 

3 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

I get that every spot is open and in the auditions that I have been involved in very very few vets do not get a contract. I can only say what I have witnessed and this weekend there were 36 trumpets trying for 6 open spots and in my opinion that’s ridiculous if you only have 6 spots callback 12. Or don’t charge the ones that are cut it costs a lot of money to fly across the country to only have a 1 in 6 shot. 

If you want to earn a spot in your favorite corps you have to try and potential members are not told how many people are being called back in each section.  After seeing the competition the auditionee  learns want it is going to take to win a spot.  Tryout for another corps and improve their skills or wait until next year.

• Like 2

I realize that potential members do not know how many are being called back my point is why call back 36 if you only need 6? If the callbacks were not paying for the camp I guarantee the amount of callbacks would be reduced at least by half and trying for another corps costs money and after paying for a callback that you have almost no chance of making those costs add up. 

1 hour ago, Psycobikerbob said:

I realize that potential members do not know how many are being called back my point is why call back 36 if you only need 6? If the callbacks were not paying for the camp I guarantee the amount of callbacks would be reduced at least by half and trying for another corps costs money and after paying for a callback that you have almost no chance of making those costs add up. 

Audition camps and callback camps have become a revenue source for corps at a time when little other money is coming in.   Being in a corps these days is extremely expensive and  potential members need to take all options into consideration before selecting a corps to audition with.  After two camps most corps are honest with potential members about their status and not just trying to generate camp fees.

What percentage of callbacks typically show up at the next camp?  Therein may lie part of the answer.  (I honestly don't know ... but it could be the same reason airlines routinely overbook flights ... because it is reasonably likely that not everyone who bought a ticket actually shows up.)

Edited by hughesmr
  • Like 1

I’ve got two MMs on the audition / callback trail right now.  They are both 4 year vets reaching up this year for the brass ring, so to speak.  So we had some long dinner table conversations about which corps, cost of plane tickets, etc.  It’s real.

It’s not only hard on the MMs, it’s also hard on the smaller corps who are trying to be more competitive.  If the big corps pulls in 36 trumpets trying to sign 6 “A” list performers, then there will be a whole bunch of A or B list players who aren’t available to fill the ranks at those lower tier corps who still have to contract their performers in Dec / Jan.  The net effect is that the gap widens between the top tier corps and the others each year, either because the other corps have to either accept more B/C level talent or wait longer to finalize their lines and start preparing.

One idea that has come on this forum in the past that seemed to have some merit is the transfer rule idea, similar to NCAA athletics.  Having a transfer rule would dramatically limit the callback craziness and help with parity / competition by encouraging vets to stay with their home corps.  And for those readers of Adam Smith, you know that more competition makes everyone better in the end.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

One idea that has come on this forum in the past that seemed to have some merit is the transfer rule idea, similar to NCAA athletics.  Having a transfer rule would dramatically limit the callback craziness and help with parity / competition by encouraging vets to stay with their home corps.   

Calling BRASSO.  You have a message on line two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, garfield said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And that is all.

350 X $125 camp fee = $44k

Factor in the cost of renting the school, transporting and feeding the members, and bringing in the staff and it's not a very effective fundraiser.  

Check your math and try again.

A more reasonable explanation is that these kids are "2's" and "3's" who (a) aren't giving up on a chance to march their dream corps (b) are attending for the educational experience and/or the leg up it might give them during next season's auditions.  

Edited by karuna

33 minutes ago, karuna said:

350 X $125 camp fee = $44k

Factor in the cost of renting the school, transporting and feeding the members, and bringing in the staff and it's not a very effective fundraiser.  

Check your math and try again.

A more reasonable explanation is that these kids are "2's" and "3's" who (a) aren't giving up on a chance to march their dream corps (b) are attending for the educational experience and/or the leg up it might give them during next season's auditions.  

Or it could be that and $$$$.