Callback camps

I’ll put my heat shields up now.  

This is hurting open class and DCA corps.  Why do you think DCA changed the minimum performance time?  One of the reasons is that they get an influx of members in May and June who have been cut and they have to scramble to teach the show to new members. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

This is hurting open class and DCA corps.  Why do you think DCA changed the minimum performance time?  One of the reasons is that they get an influx of members in May and June who have been cut and they have to scramble to teach the show to new members. 

100% accurate. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ghost said:

But many vets get contracts offered.  Makes me think they have to go through the show and tell for appearances.  Sure, some new kids might be a little better, but the corps go with the vet because they already know they have a good member on and off the field.

Maybe many vets get to return, but only if they make the cut.  There is a corps you are familiar with that had a number of vets not get to come back.  A corps on the move up,  is not likely to pass on a kid who is better than a vet, because the vet is a good member.  That vet may have been a rookie the previous year and had beaten out a vet to get a contract and there are many good members in these corps.

36 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Maybe many vets get to return, but only if they make the cut.  There is a corps you are familiar with that had a number of vets not get to come back.  A corps on the move up,  is not likely to pass on a kid who is better than a vet, because the vet is a good member.   

You're correct LM.  But, as corps climb the finals position ladder, they may reach a point where there vets are better than other corps vets who are auditioning.

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You're correct LM.  But, as corps climb the finals position ladder, they may reach a point where there vets are better than other corps vets who are auditioning.

Not sure that's how it works for all groups. The best want the best.

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Not sure that's how it works for all groups. The best want the best.

I'm thinking that a corps like BD, with their decades of success, might not replace too many current mm with time left.  They do have many one and done mm each year since they usually have a high number of age outs each August.  

8 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

One idea that has come on this forum in the past that seemed to have some merit is the transfer rule idea, similar to NCAA athletics.  Having a transfer rule would dramatically limit the callback craziness and help with parity / competition by encouraging vets to stay with their home corps.  And for those readers of Adam Smith, you know that more competition makes everyone better in the end.

Well I 've been pretty much a lone wolf calling for this for years now, WaxDCIFan. But taking the pulse of most fans/ marchers/ parents, there seems at the moment to be little to no support for DCI to enact any sensible and reasonable transfer rules/ policies between Corps in DCI. So witthout such sentiments, I'm resigned to the status quo on this.. Without such transfer rules however, its almost a given that the Blue Devils will be winning 40% of the DCI Titles ( or finishing runnersup ) over the next 40 years, just like they have for the last 40 years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

I’ve got two MMs on the audition / callback trail right now.  They are both 4 year vets reaching up this year for the brass ring, so to speak.  So we had some long dinner table conversations about which corps, cost of plane tickets, etc.  It’s real.

It’s not only hard on the MMs, it’s also hard on the smaller corps who are trying to be more competitive.  If the big corps pulls in 36 trumpets trying to sign 6 “A” list performers, then there will be a whole bunch of A or B list players who aren’t available to fill the ranks at those lower tier corps who still have to contract their performers in Dec / Jan.  The net effect is that the gap widens between the top tier corps and the others each year, either because the other corps have to either accept more B/C level talent or wait longer to finalize their lines and start preparing.

One idea that has come on this forum in the past that seemed to have some merit is the transfer rule idea, similar to NCAA athletics.  Having a transfer rule would dramatically limit the callback craziness and help with parity / competition by encouraging vets to stay with their home corps.  And for those readers of Adam Smith, you know that more competition makes everyone better in the end.

I love this,too. 

I will have to admit off the bat I do not know audition camps from personal experience in any way, but I’ve heard all sorts of stories that run the gamut. I’ve heard it has been an exhilarating experience and great opportunity from kids who have made the cut, others see it as rigged or unfair. Parents have complained their kids are called back when the corps has no intention of offering their kid a contract. I’ve heard kids claim that all vets have to audition yet no vets are cut and corps knew this all along, and probably a million other tales, some good, others not so great. In the end whether a kid makes the cut is the lense they often view the experience. 

I do think a corps should let someone who auditions know as soon as possible whether a contract will potentially be offered and corps should not use it as an opportunity to raise revenue, probably won’t happen especially if the revenue has been budgeted, but I also know that sometimes a corps may need to get to know a kid better, especially to see those qualities that are important that can’t be picked up on in one audition: attitude, the ability to take criticism, bring a community builder, leadership skills, resilience, etc.   

I think the audition experience will be what it is, and the best a person can do persevere and do their best.