Callback camps

3 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Of course they do. I know you are trying to be funny but of course they look at probably hundreds of potential candidates for those scholarship spots.

Oh... they absolutely consider a whole bunch of candidates. I just don't think they have 50 linebackers... or 50 at pretty much any position...  who make it to camp (on scholarship or the occasional walk-on) with a chance to make the final roster!!!  That's what I mean by "bringing in."

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

an entertainer doing multiple auditions for a paid gig has zero relevance to this topic.

paying a college application fee has zero relevance to this topic.

it's amusing to see the inane analogies, though.  hoping to see several more. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Here's my $0.02. 

I just came to the end of Corps X's brass audition process for the 2019 season. How it works there, is you have to go to two camps before it's possible to be offered a spot. This applies to vets as well, meaning NOBODY is guaranteed a spot by the end of November Camp. (Save returning Drum Majors and other either returning or previously appointed leadership). In December Camp, contracts start being given. However, the vast majority of these December contracts are going to vets, though there are some going to promising rookies. At this camp, everyone not receiving a contract is a callback, HOWEVER; staff does honestly tell you if you legitimately have a shot next camp. Basically, if you're a rookie vying for a spot, at December you can hear one of 3 results:

1) Contract,

2) Callback and you have a decent shot,

And 3) Callback and this is actually basically Cut and it'd be wise to go elsewhere next month if you want to march, but come back in January if you really want to ACTUALLY get cut.

IMHO, this is the SMARTEST way to do it, but maybe not the most ethical. The group most hurt by this would be those in the 3rd group. Because there are without a doubt going to be kids (usually HS age) that are still starry-eyed and hopeful and will come back and pay the $175 camp fee to come get cut.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lance said:

an entertainer doing multiple auditions for a paid gig has zero relevance to this topic.

paying a college application fee has zero relevance to this topic.

it's amusing to see the inane analogies, though.  hoping to see several more. 

Why is that? Because you say so? It is the same process of practice, audition, success or failure. Sure the outcomes are different in that one is a contract to march and the other is a contract to get payed but the overall process is very similar.

I just don't agree with people that state that corps invite a bunch of call-backs for purely monetary reasons. If some do and can offer proof then let's see it. But to see 30 kids fighting over 6 open spots isn't unreasonable IMHO. Especially when injuries happen, kids back out of commitments, they may contract them as alternates and the list goes on.

I know from first-hand experience that there are multiple drum corps that do this exact thing in an attempt to bring in more money. The costs associated with bringing in an extra 50 kids are negligible compared to the $10,000 you can make (50 kids X $200).

Auditions are hard because there are so many variables and kids are unpredictable. You never know who's going to improve dramatically over the course of a few months, or who's going to bail at the last minute. IMO, the best we can ask for is that corps are honest with kids at every step of the audition process and let them make the decision that's best for them.

1 hour ago, jpaul said:

I know from first-hand experience that there are multiple drum corps that do this exact thing in an attempt to bring in more money. The costs associated with bringing in an extra 50 kids are negligible compared to the $10,000 you can make (50 kids X $200).

Auditions are hard because there are so many variables and kids are unpredictable. You never know who's going to improve dramatically over the course of a few months, or who's going to bail at the last minute. IMO, the best we can ask for is that corps are honest with kids at every step of the audition process and let them make the decision that's best for them.

I know of some Corps that give you a numerical grade of certain ranges for certain skill sets they evaluate you in the initial audition, especially in Guard. So lets say you are a Guard applicant. The grade might be 1 for superior, 2 for above average, 3 for average, 4 for needs improvement. The Corps might evaluate you on  several skill sets such as rifle toss, sabre toss, dance movement, and several other skill sets in the Guard evaluation arena. If the Corps has not offered the Guard applicant a Contract, and they are looking for overall point total averages of 2.0 or better now, after they have chosen their 1's and 1.5's - for the contracted and  you are a 1.75, total then maybe you take the chance of going back on a call back. But if you are a 3.0 to a 4.0 total average, and you want to go back the next camp tryout and take your chances among the other competitors for those remaining spots, well its your choice and your money. But if it does not work out, its really the choice you made, given the 1st evaluation grades you received.

Edited by BRASSO

4 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

BRASSO’s proposed transfer policy would do it.  It would promote parity, improve competition, and it would put a wet blanket on a lot of the audition mayhem out there.

What mayhem?  Is there really mayhem?  How big a problem is this?  I see what is written and it is still generalities:  "I know a group that did this and did that"  and "a corps uses the fees to make money".  Inferring there are a multitude of scams out there perpetrated by many corps.  Well PROVE it with facts.  If this is so egregious, name names (corps) of the guilty.  If you can't or won't,  then maybe stop talking about it.  This is similar to any kind of an issue that is perpetuated because no one will speak out about it with facts and details.  So anonymity keeps the problem going.  That is, if  there really is a problem.  If you can't prove it....shut up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpaul said:

Here is an example of the point I am trying to make.  Can you name the multiple corps that do this exact thing?  Who are they, inquiring minds want to know.  If it is out in the open, the practice as described might stop.

I would have to believe on one hand that the staff would want to minimize call backs so they could get moving on the show/program with MM's they know will be participating.  Just a thought.

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

All I keep thinking is "my goodness, some corps charge an arm and a leg for camps."  :tic:

Mike

Ironically, a lot of the Open Class Corps,... and even several of he lower placing World Class Division Corps... each and every season have lots of openings in their ranks, where if one has decent skills and the right attitude, one can find a spot in line comparatively easily and without incurring all these Fall, and Winter audition camp fees that some people complain about. The numbers of cut auditioneers from the elite level Corps camps that opt not to march DCI or DCA Corps at all has me thinking... " my goodness, thats too bad, all around ".

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3