Callback camps

2 hours ago, Psycobikerbob said:

Your right is does cost money and my point is Boston Crusaders called back 108 brass and 60 percussion for their final callback camp this weekend and had over 500 who auditioned originally. So total cuts at the end of the day was about 20 brass and about 20 percussion from a callback camp and they seemed to be able to afford it just fine. Crossmen had 38 trumpets trying for 6 open spots that’s ridiculous they had almost as many trumpets cut as Boston had total. My point in all this is be honest from the beginning there is no need to bring in that many people to get what you need. 

and of those called back, how many were vets?

all I get from this thread is "wahhhh!"

yes - some corps have lots of people try out and lots of people willing to return to try out a second time

#weshouldallbesolucky

I have a feeling the kids auditioning are learning tons, growing and mostly having the time of their lives - what a great experience for everyone!

17 hours ago, TRacer said:

As a parent of a kid entering his 6th DCI season with two to go following 2019, I remain “less than convinced” that those organizations with feeder groups truly use them as traning grounds to bring members up. 

so?

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

transfer rules should be in place for those who have left a corps in bad financial standing. They shouldn't be for competitive success. while I know you love to compare everything to the NCAA, their scholarship rules have nothing to do with ensuring everyone gets the best players. They still go to the top schools. 

also the case - and unfortunately some corps just prey on other's ranks - "anythingtomoveup

On 12/18/2018 at 3:45 PM, BRASSO said:

I know of some Corps that give you a numerical grade of certain ranges for certain skill sets they evaluate you in the initial audition, especially in Guard. So lets say you are a Guard applicant. The grade might be 1 for superior, 2 for above average, 3 for average, 4 for needs improvement. The Corps might evaluate you on  several skill sets such as rifle toss, sabre toss, dance movement, and several other skill sets in the Guard evaluation arena. If the Corps has not offered the Guard applicant a Contract, and they are looking for overall point total averages of 2.0 or better now, after they have chosen their 1's and 1.5's - for the contracted and  you are a 1.75, total then maybe you take the chance of going back on a call back. But if you are a 3.0 to a 4.0 total average, and you want to go back the next camp tryout and take your chances among the other competitors for those remaining spots, well its your choice and your money. But if it does not work out, its really the choice you made, given the 1st evaluation grades you received.

EXACTLY!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

sssshhhh facts don't matter in "the world is unfair" land

First off I never said a word about unfair and it’s obvious you just like to stir the pot I merely said the corps calling back 6 times as many as needed was ridiculous. So I guess you have personally seen these kids at the call back camps having the time of their lives cause I missed it I see a lot of kids struggling to make the cut wasting a lot of money on callbacks that they have no chance of making. All I want from the corps is honesty take the lead from Boston they have class unlike other people and yes I’m talking about you. 

2 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

First off I never said a word about unfair and it’s obvious you just like to stir the pot I merely said the corps calling back 6 times as many as needed was ridiculous. So I guess you have personally seen these kids at the call back camps having the time of their lives cause I missed it I see a lot of kids struggling to make the cut wasting a lot of money on callbacks that they have no chance of making. All I want from the corps is honesty take the lead from Boston they have class unlike other people and yes I’m talking about you. 

I neither quoted you nor referenced you 

and yes I’ve seen many kids and many camps over the years having the time of their lives 

This thread has me fascinated.

My kid has received three call backs from WC groups - with NO feedback at all from two (literally got told "see you next month" and "come to the call back camp") and a short list of small adjustments to make from the third group... It makes one wonder what the real motivations are. Feels like some kids are either being left on the hook to dangle (you're an A-/B+ and we like you, but we're gonna wait to see if an A+ gets kicked from another corps and falls in our laps...), a test to see if he returns or a $200 cash grab.

Yes, it takes money to run camps, but if you have NO feedback for improvement to issue to a potential member, why are you wasting time with a callback? Either they're good enough to make your line and you want them or they aren't and you don't. Life isn't always fair, but leaving kids in limbo and possibly removing them from considering another potential opportunity isn't cool, either. 

There has to be a better way. 

Edited by LeftCoastCupcake

Making money off someone's "hope" (who literally will not make the cut)  has to be as low as you can go.  Just my take on the whole scam.