Callback camps

Hello just a quick thought maybe someone can explain why it is if a corps needs 50 new members they give 300 callbacks. I understand wanting the best candidates but come on this is ridiculous. These kids most in college are trying to obtain the funds to do something they have a love for only to be brought half way across the country for some and told sorry we only needed 6 for your section even though there are 50 there trying for it. It’s crazy enough that audition camps are sometimes well over 400 trying out and most given callbacks that of course cost money only to have zero chance of making it why not just be honest at the audition and if they want the experience of another camp that’s fine but if not they don’t waste their time and money. With all the controversy over misconduct and the activity being under such close scrutiny you would think the directors would do whatever they can to make the experience positive and not just about the money which is exactly what it feels like. Maybe if offered a callback the camp should be free unless a contract is offered this way the callbacks would mean something not just a way to increase revenue. The average cost is around 4000 for fees and on the average that’s about 350 a week for the season that these kids are bustin their butts to get just so they can do what they love. I am fairly new to this whole thing I’ve only been into it for about 7 years and I have watched these young men and women become discouraged and want to walk away from the activity and I feel if something doesn’t change soon the passion won’t be enough to keep drum corps alive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

Hello just a quick thought maybe someone can explain why it is if a corps needs 50 new members they give 300 callbacks. I understand wanting the best candidates but come on this is ridiculous. These kids most in college are trying to obtain the funds to do something they have a love for only to be brought half way across the country for some and told sorry we only needed 6 for your section even though there are 50 there trying for it. It’s crazy enough that audition camps are sometimes well over 400 trying out and most given callbacks that of course cost money only to have zero chance of making it why not just be honest at the audition and if they want the experience of another camp that’s fine but if not they don’t waste their time and money. With all the controversy over misconduct and the activity being under such close scrutiny you would think the directors would do whatever they can to make the experience positive and not just about the money which is exactly what it feels like is. Maybe if offered a callback the camp should be free unless a contract is offered this way the callbacks would mean something not just a way to increase revenue. The average cost is around 4000 for fees and on the average that’s about 350 a week for the season that these kids are bustin their butts to get just so they can do what they love. I am fairly new to this whole thing I’ve only been into it for about 7 years and I have watched these young men and women become discouraged and want to walk away from the activity and I feel if something doesn’t change soon the passion won’t be enough to keep drum corps alive. 

Bingo.

It's just one of the smaller elephant's in the room.  There's a bigger one right now getting most of the attention.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

Hello just a quick thought maybe someone can explain why it is if a corps needs 50 new members they give 300 callbacks. I understand wanting the best candidates but come on this is ridiculous. These kids most in college are trying to obtain the funds to do something they have a love for only to be brought half way across the country for some and told sorry we only needed 6 for your section even though there are 50 there trying for it. It’s crazy enough that audition camps are sometimes well over 400 trying out and most given callbacks that of course cost money only to have zero chance of making it why not just be honest at the audition and if they want the experience of another camp that’s fine but if not they don’t waste their time and money. With all the controversy over misconduct and the activity being under such close scrutiny you would think the directors would do whatever they can to make the experience positive and not just about the money which is exactly what it feels like. Maybe if offered a callback the camp should be free unless a contract is offered this way the callbacks would mean something not just a way to increase revenue. The average cost is around 4000 for fees and on the average that’s about 350 a week for the season that these kids are bustin their butts to get just so they can do what they love. I am fairly new to this whole thing I’ve only been into it for about 7 years and I have watched these young men and women become discouraged and want to walk away from the activity and I feel if something doesn’t change soon the passion won’t be enough to keep drum corps alive. 

what corps needs 50 and calls back 300 - charging them all fees? Just curious as this seems like quite the exaggeration 

most of the top groups rank you 1, 2, 3 or some similar thing meaning 1 is you have a spot if you want it, 2 maybe come back, 3 get more experience and you see say 50 or so extra 2's return, some of which get spots down the road...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

Crossmen called back 254 this weekend and at max had 45 age outs. 

Have some of Crossmen 18 MMs opted to try their luck at other top tier corps? Are all remaining 18 MMs going to be offered contracts? My guess is there are more than 45 holes to fill.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Have some of Crossmen 18 MMs opted to try their luck at other top tier corps? Are all remaining 18 MMs going to be offered contracts? My guess is there are more than 45 holes to fill.

In many corps every spot is up for grabs every season.  Being a vet does not guarantee you spot.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, karuna said:

In many corps every spot is up for grabs every season.  Being a vet does not guarantee you spot.  

Exactly.

7 minutes ago, karuna said:

But many vets get contracts offered.  Makes me think they have to go through the show and tell for appearances.  Sure, some new kids might be a little better, but the corps go with the vet because they already know they have a good member on and off the field.

Call back camps include contracted and non contracted so total number at camp can be misleading.  These are not college age kids but 17 and 18 olds trying to earn a spot. A significant number of contracted can't fulfill terms of the contract and dropout for various reasons in January, February and even March so you want to keep your pool of potential members  as large as possible and for as long as possible.

Spirit of Atlanta just posted a video of this weekends camp and I would estimate that they  have  130 to 140 brass at camp a good number.  If you want to go on tour with 88 brass you want 200 brass at your call back camp and then 125 at your next camp  in Jan, Feb or March (most corps not holding monthly camps).

Many corps directors can't wait for the cut list from some of the top corps. Recruitment is  tough these days.  If you don't have the members it is difficult for the design teams to put a show together.