Callback camps

13 minutes ago, Lance said:

it's a way for corps to make a lot of extra money and get the best talent.

quite the racket, but people are willing to pay for it, so i'm not sure what anybody wants done. 

Can you be specific?  Do you have first hand knowledge you will share?

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

all I get from this thread is "wahhhh!"

yes - some corps have lots of people try out and lots of people willing to return to try out a second time

#weshouldallbesolucky

I have a feeling the kids auditioning are learning tons, growing and mostly having the time of their lives - what a great experience for everyone!

To me, the issue would be if you continue to see vast numbers of kids going to camps in February up til spring training...which has happened occasionally. But before then, no

5 hours ago, LeftCoastCupcake said:

This thread has me fascinated.

My kid has received three call backs from WC groups - with NO feedback at all from two (literally got told "see you next month" and "come to the call back camp") and a short list of small adjustments to make from the third group... It makes one wonder what the real motivations are. Feels like some kids are either being left on the hook to dangle (you're an A-/B+ and we like you, but we're gonna wait to see if an A+ gets kicked from another corps and falls in our laps...), a test to see if he returns or a $200 cash grab.

Yes, it takes money to run camps, but if you have NO feedback for improvement to issue to a potential member, why are you wasting time with a callback? Either they're good enough to make your line and you want them or they aren't and you don't. Life isn't always fair, but leaving kids in limbo and possibly removing them from considering another potential opportunity isn't cool, either. 

There has to be a better way. 

no feedback would be a concern to me. mainly because what are they offering my kid educationally?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Sometimes I wonder if "the roster" means "everyone within a 50-mile radius who has ever seen a brass instrument."   :laughing:

no it's the actual instruments

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

If you think drum corps auditions are a scam, stay away from the whole college application process. 

Been there done that...a long time ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

no feedback would be a concern to me. mainly because what are they offering my kid educationally?

Precisely.  It's frigging marching band that plays 5-7 minutes of music after 100's of hours of rehearsal.

7 hours ago, Lance said:

fees are published on most corps websites.

logic is much more difficult to find. almost a superpower, really. 

So what corps are making money off callbacks?  You need more than "fees are published on most corps websites". That tells you what the fees are, but to "make money", they'd need to have huge multiple callbacks and few contracts offered.  That's been the subject of this thread but I have yet to see any posters claiming what they claim, and actually backing it up with copra names and specifics proving out the accusations.  If you can't prove it, stop saying it.

My 2 cents.  My son auditioned for a top 12 corps.  He was called back to every camp and after last camp was offered a contract.  He was told he wasn't the best mm, but he worked harder then everyone else and had the best attitude.  My opinion was that I was happy to pay the camp costs and transportation for him to have that experience.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

My 2 cents.  My son auditioned for a top 12 corps.  He was called back to every camp and after last camp was offered a contract.  He was told he wasn't the best mm, but he worked harder then everyone else and had the best attitude.  My opinion was that I was happy to pay the camp costs and transportation for him to have that experience.

and that can happen...with some kids, it may take up to the last camp for others to weed out. I know someone who went to ST as an alternate...and within a week, got in, and boom, won a medal. To that person, it was worth everything just to get in...the ending was just the cherry on top of their sundae.

and now going back for their ageout