Callback camps

Well at the university I attended, sororities had a similar problem.  The less popular sororities complained that the more popular sororities were offering callbacks to too many girls, and in the process hurting their chances of recruiting those women themselves.

The compromise/solution was that the more popular a sorority was during recruitment, the fewer women they could offer call backs to. This worked because the popular groups were less likely to have girls quit if they were offered a spot.

Though not perfect, I think this system could work for DCI. Corps could be asked to put a cap on callbacks based on retention of members from previous year +finals placement from previous year.

Though...I imagine this would create a problem for the members auditioning at multiple corps 😉

I have a couple thoughts on this topic.  First, the camp fees most corps charge are designed to offset the cost of the actual camp....the meals (remember, 300-400 folks inc staff), the facilities, flying in that staff, etc.  I cannot imagine any drum corps looking at camp fees as an actual source of revenue.  Yikes!

As for the call backs...you need to remember that the larger corps conduct "round 1" and sometimes "round 2" auditions in as many as 6 or 7 different locations across the country, specifically to make it easier for kids to attend, along with the video audition process. At some point, however, they do need to assemble everyone who MIGHT be a fit at the same place at the same time in order to assess the talent.

As for vets being guaranteed a spot in the upcoming years.  Nothing could be further from the truth. I have personal knowledge of multiple veteran corps members who were recently not offered a contract due to their lack of preparation.  This, I would imagine is particularly the case when a group is on the rise.

Finally, and I say this as someone who has taught drum corps, band, and indoor guard/percussion since 1978.  If you want to field a full unit, you need to assemble and train 150% of whatever that maximum number is because sure as sh1t some kids are going to change their minds, get a summer job, fall in love, get injured,  have parents lose a job or whatever.  This natural attrition is real and happens at all levels. 

Drum corps is a highly competitive activity where not every child is a winner.  And THAT is where the drum corps experience begins to prepare kids for life in a real sense, rather than everyone getting a trophy for having a pulse.

On 12/16/2018 at 2:38 AM, garfield said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And that is all.

This.

25 minutes ago, craiga said:

I have a couple thoughts on this topic.  First, the camp fees most corps charge are designed to offset the cost of the actual camp....the meals (remember, 300-400 folks inc staff), the facilities, flying in that staff, etc.  I cannot imagine any drum corps looking at camp fees as an actual source of revenue.  Yikes!

Believe it.  Calling back people that have ZERO chance of making the cut is simply a money grab.  While we are fixing drum corps problems this is another area DCI needs to step in and stop the fleecing of youth that can barely afford college.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I don't think even Alabama's football team brings in 50 players for two linebacker spots.  :laughing:

But if they did, I wish Nick Saban would send some of the "just missed the cut" guys to Rutgers.  LOL.

Of course they do. I know you are trying to be funny but of course they look at probably hundreds of potential candidates for those scholarship spots.

20 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I That is the life of a musician. You pay for your travel, hotel, meals everything knowing that you have a 1 in (some large number) shot of getting the gig. It's called life. The fact is that in these call back camps their chances are WAY HIGHER than real life auditions. If you are not prepared to meet these realities maybe this activity isn't for you.

In " real life ", Parents in most cases don't get to even choose the public school they want their child to attend either. They go to that local school near their home, the one others decide for them, and there are no " transfer rules ". You stay put there, even if there is another public school nearby in town that is the " dream school" for your child. I wonder how many parents/ alums/ current marchers in Drum Corps, that are so supportive of transferring to the Corps they want if they're talented enough to earn a spot there, are in favor and are supportive of parents public  " school choice " in the so called " real life " world ?

Edited by BRASSO

an entertainer doing multiple auditions for a paid gig has zero relevance to this topic.

paying a college application fee has zero relevance to this topic.

it's amusing to see the inane analogies, though.  hoping to see several more. 

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Believe it.  Calling back people that have ZERO chance of making the cut is simply a money grab.  While we are fixing drum corps problems this is another area DCI needs to step in and stop the fleecing of youth that can barely afford college.

How should DCI fix this?  Why should DCI fix this?  Is this truly a real problem?  Or is this a perceived problem that may be true in a small number of corps but is now being cast as a global DCI member corps problem?  I see a lot of generalized statements throughout many postings on DCP and I often wonder if the "problem" in some of these instances, is real or is a perceived that expands into a problem.  Regarding the money grab for audition camp fees;   what corps actually do this?  Is there anything to back up or support the allegation/accusation that this type of issue is pervasive in DC.  This seems that if it is a problem it is easily fixable by requiring each corps auditioning students to be more visible in their process.  Maybe that's the part DCI can "fix".  Students and their parents can also ask the corps about the process as well.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

How should DCI fix this?  Why should DCI fix this?  Is this truly a real problem?  Or is this a perceived problem that may be true in a small number of corps but is now being cast as a global DCI member corps problem?  I see a lot of generalized statements throughout many postings on DCP and I often wonder if the "problem" in some of these instances, is real or is a perceived that expands into a problem.  Regarding the money grab for audition camp fees;   what corps actually do this?  Is there anything to back up or support the allegation/accusation that this type of issue is pervasive in DC.  This seems that if it is a problem it is easily fixable by requiring each corps auditioning students to be more visible in their process.  Maybe that's the part DCI can "fix".  Students and their parents can also ask the corps about the process as well.

BRASSO’s proposed transfer policy would do it.  It would promote parity, improve competition, and it would put a wet blanket on a lot of the audition mayhem out there.

• Like 3

In some corps, the most dependable and easiest (vulnerable) funding source is the auditionees and the members themselves. I know first-hand of a group, "sponsored"  by a dot book company and required the members to purchase them at above the retail cost. I was also told to refrain from cutting "too  many" auditionees during the camp season.

It's all about the $.

• Like 2