Callback camps

As a parent of a kid entering his 6th DCI season with two to go following 2019, I remain “less than convinced” that those organizations with feeder groups truly use them as traning grounds to bring members up. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Here is an example of the point I am trying to make.  Can you name the multiple corps that do this exact thing?  Who are they, inquiring minds want to know.  If it is out in the open, the practice as described might stop.

I would have to believe on one hand that the staff would want to minimize call backs so they could get moving on the show/program with MM's they know will be participating.  Just a thought.

Amen

Please name names.  Who is the corps who's bring 50 kids back for 8 spots and told those kids they all have an equal chance?  

My guess is -- many of those kids were told you probably don't have much a chance but you're still welcome to return for experience.    Most corps are brutally honest about your chances;  some kids don't care and think "hey at least I will be much better prepared next year".

Is it sad those kids choose not to march at other programs?  Yeah because they could learn so much by actually marching a season and dramatically improve their chance of making the cut next year.  But in most cases that's the performer's choice  not the corps.  Most corps do refer kids somewhere.  The kids just want to march their choice or nothing.  

As for the "fundraiser" claim... well it's not a very good one.   You can do it for maybe 2 camps (December and January) and then you need to focus on the contracted members.  And the expenses do scale with numbers.  You're flying in and paying  a much larger staff.  You need bigger facilities.  More volunteers.   

The only way to make real dollars doing that is to bring back a LOT of kids for a LOT of camps.  That's a lot easier and cheaper to do on tour via clinics.  

On 12/15/2018 at 8:10 PM, Daave said:

Bingo.

It's just one of the smaller elephant's in the room.  There's a bigger one right now getting most of the attention.

this has been mentioned time and time again going back to the RAMD days.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:44 PM, karuna said:

In many corps every spot is up for grabs every season.  Being a vet does not guarantee you spot.  

also very true, as well as the fact not all kids stay at their corps year after year til aging out

On 12/16/2018 at 4:27 PM, BRASSO said:

Well I 've been pretty much a lone wolf calling for this for years now, WaxDCIFan. But taking the pulse of most fans/ marchers/ parents, there seems at the moment to be little to no support for DCI to enact any sensible and reasonable transfer rules/ policies between Corps in DCI. So witthout such sentiments, I'm resigned to the status quo on this.. Without such transfer rules however, its almost a given that the Blue Devils will be winning 40% of the DCI Titles ( or finishing runnersup ) over the next 40 years, just like they have for the last 40 years.

transfer rules should be in place for those who have left a corps in bad financial standing. They shouldn't be for competitive success. while I know you love to compare everything to the NCAA, their scholarship rules have nothing to do with ensuring everyone gets the best players. They still go to the top schools. 

On 12/17/2018 at 5:36 PM, Psycobikerbob said:

Ok as stated when you walk into an audition expect competition and you have to pay your expenses for that shot I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is on top of the travel expenses there is also a camp fee. I have personally witnessed vets saying they only had to show up and sign the contract and I expect that my point is if you know at the first camp how many spots are left to fill then don’t bring back 6 times as many as needed and charge them all the fee. As far as HS kids auditioning for college yes we have gone through that process but low and behold it didn’t cost a fee to audition and they offer scholarships at most schools for musicians. So I guess your right why should this activity be any different then college auditions? 

yes there's a camp fee. Is the food free? is the staff doing it for nothing? What about the facility? transporting equipment free? #### costs money man in all walks of life. 

On 12/17/2018 at 10:30 PM, Terri Schehr said:

And Illinois.  Come on, Nick.  Give us your castoffs. 

He does. it's called the kids he doesnt sign go elsewhere.

so Rutgers and Illinois should make those kids feel wanted and have something there for them

14 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Ironically, a lot of the Open Class Corps,... and even several of he lower placing World Class Division Corps... each and every season have lots of openings in their ranks, where if one has decent skills and the right attitude, one can find a spot in line comparatively easily and without incurring all these Fall, and Winter audition camp fees that some people complain about. The numbers of cut auditioneers from the elite level Corps camps that opt not to march DCI or DCA Corps at all has me thinking... " my goodness, thats too bad, all around ".

the sad thing is some kids want THAT corps, and only THAt corps. going to Open class or DCA isn't good enough in their mind. How is that DCI's fault?

It isn't. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TRacer said:

As a parent of a kid entering his 6th DCI season with two to go following 2019, I remain “less than convinced” that those organizations with feeder groups truly use them as traning grounds to bring members up. 

on this i'll agree. But a few of the feeder groups aren't going to be what they were a year ago. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes there's a camp fee. Is the food free? is the staff doing it for nothing? What about the facility? transporting equipment free? #### costs money man in all walks of life. 

Your right is does cost money and my point is Boston Crusaders called back 108 brass and 60 percussion for their final callback camp this weekend and had over 500 who auditioned originally. So total cuts at the end of the day was about 20 brass and about 20 percussion from a callback camp and they seemed to be able to afford it just fine. Crossmen had 38 trumpets trying for 6 open spots that’s ridiculous they had almost as many trumpets cut as Boston had total. My point in all this is be honest from the beginning there is no need to bring in that many people to get what you need.