The Essential Issue

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Nope.  Everyone is doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. 

The volunteers who got profusely thanked in between the wa-wa of the recent DCI press release are for certain. Corporations have to make some profit to exist, or at least break even in the case of the non-profits. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BigW said:

Migrating to WGI, maybe. Some already sponsor various teams there.

WGI finally got touched on with OCI. There’s a #### ton of stories there yet to be told I’m sure.... and probably involved many of the same people 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Funny you mention this. I was talking to someone today who thinks the reporter has some agenda and wondered why I’ve been such a hard ### towards dan, the board, the corps etc.

its easy. Whenever there’s been criticism what’s the power brokers standard reply? “ it’s for the kids” “ don’t criticize, you’ll hurt the kids”.

well, until May 2018 the collective powers that be, including Dan, the board, the corps boards, and so many others IGNORED this issue and allowed way too many KIDS get hurt by people that shouldn’t have been around. Like we see with the Catholic Church, tell them to leave but don’t block them from being involved. Sweep it under the rug. Teaching license suspended? No biggie I know you can make my horn line better. It’s been the worst kept secret for decades, and enough people had to know specifics, and did nothing. 

We know people reported stuff before last year, and it was ignored or worse, people were threatened to stay silent.

but yet it’s all supposed to be about the kids right? That’s what those at the top have stressed repeatedly. Kids, kids, KIDS!!

yet when someone did anything sexual with a kid, either in or out of dci but was allowed to work there, the safety of those same kids was ignored.

that is why I continue to demand people be held accountable for past inaction. Yeah it could take down some big names. In fact I’ve been suspicious of some resignations and their rationale the last 18 months. 

I am glad dci is taking steps. I truly believe in any restructuring the inmates should not be in charge of the asylum. None of them have earned that right..... because despite their mantra of “ the kids”, they’ve proven their safety really wasn’t as important as they claimed.

Thank you for saying it better than I could. In addition what you said, think about the long unsafe bus rides with fatigued drivers, tons of kids getting sick on tour, kids breaking bones and getting concussions during unsafe drill. It’s never been about the kids. Maybe it was in the very early years of touring before this endless arms race of more more more bells and whistles started. But it hasn’t been for a long time. 

What can you do?  Vote with your feet. Stop financially supporting the activity until you’re satisfied things have changed. And don’t stop speaking out. Everywhere. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Excluding the school based organizations such as BOA,  the closest thing to DCI and WGI that I know of organizationally is AAU (Amateur Athletic Union). Does anyone know how they handle these matters? I do believe they have had issues in the past, one in particular was pretty horrific, but I also know they are thorough. Someone I knew used me as a reference when organizing an AAU basketball team. I had to provide a contact to the person who verified the reference that could verify I was qualified to give a reference. This says to me someone somewhere along the line slipped through the cracks and they made sure it would not happen again.

12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Thank you for saying it better than I could. In addition what you said, think about the long unsafe bus rides with fatigued drivers, tons of kids getting sick on tour, kids breaking bones and getting concussions during unsafe drill. It’s never been about the kids. Maybe it was in the very early years of touring before this endless arms race of more more more bells and whistles started. But it hasn’t been for a long time. 

What can you do?  Vote with your feet. Stop financially supporting the activity until you’re satisfied things have changed. And don’t stop speaking out. Everywhere. 

Things happened even in the supposed halcyon era.

Read this article, it romanticizes the whole Crossmen tour in the West and their buses, infamous even then for being held together by baling wire spit and JB Weld:

http://joshinthesouth.blogspot.com/2009/02/crossmen-spirit-bond.html

I have friends and KK-Psi bros who rode those buses and told me about it in college. It wasn't as romantic as the link makes it out to be, let me tell you. They made the Pio buses look like The Ocean liner SS Normandie in its height of fame...

095e19d26b3ceb41dfe6e81b89404309.jpg

From the Cavaliers entry on Wikipedia:

"There was also an unacknowledged drug problem that came to a head in 1977 when several members almost died while returning from a show."

Things Westshore members saw in the Lot in 1982 at Championships in Montreal that were falling into this category as well.

Now with the Net, Social Media.... this stuff just can't run under the radar like it used to. With the amount the members pay in Fees/Tuition/whatever you want to call it.... way more is expected and should be. Just some food for though and some retrospective on the issue.

Edited by BigW