The Essential Issue

50 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I remember vaguely...and I mean vaguely, being at a DCA show and one of the bus drivers decided he had enough (I simply don't remember the specifics,) and locked us out of the bus and decided he was going home with all of our stuff still on board. Luckily, when an entire corps decides to make a wall of people, you aren't going to get too far. It got resolved somehow. 

Took us a few months to find drivers who would put up with us. Usual complaints were noise and vulger language. Didn’t get into cooler diving and all until later. 

Mom and sister went on a Girl Scout trip and driver was one of the regular Westshoremen drivers. Scouts singing their little songs on the way to wherever. At the place mom said to the driver “little different from hauling the Westshoremen isn’t it” and his jaw dropped. Mel “silver pheasant” Prosser RIP

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Saw those Crossmen busses in late 70s at Carlisle as they did an exhibition. No idea if it was the bus called the Hindenburg but one was blowing oil pretty bad. Front corner of one bus was just black from following it.

yeah being son of auto mechanic you notice stuff like that

Oh, yeah I saw them too, as well as other Corps members at Westshore at Carlisle other years. Notoriously bad and dilapidated.

31 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Took us a few months to find drivers who would put up with us. Usual complaints were noise and vulger language. Didn’t get into cooler diving and all until later. 

Mom and sister went on a Girl Scout trip and driver was one of the regular Westshoremen drivers. Scouts singing their little songs on the way to wherever. At the place mom said to the driver “little different from hauling the Westshoremen isn’t it” and his jaw dropped. Mel “silver pheasant” Prosser RIP

For those unfamiliar with Westshore, Mel drove bus 3, the "Animal Bus". A real Saint. Best Mel story is when Bus 3 passed the hat, got a sizeable cash donation, and bribed Mel to pass the other two buses and be bus 1 for that part of the trip.

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

You haven’t lived until you’ve drank water with insects in it and were semi-thankful that you got a little protein in you. 

Were people dared to drink it or was everyone that thirsty?

On that tangent and seriously.... things like that are prolly why many of us get so indignant when we hear about some of this stuff now. We can laugh now, but in many ways, none of us want kids in DCI or DCA riding exploding buses, drinking bad food and water, and so on. I personally think they deserve better than that by far.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

So I guess this thread is now about old drum corps buses. Well done, DCP.

As the OP, I ask that a moderator please shut this thread down. Thanks and Happy Christmas.

You want to grumble, and grouse... go ahead. Happy New Year.

26 minutes ago, BigW said:

Were people dared to drink it or was everyone that thirsty?

On that tangent and seriously.... things like that are prolly why many of us get so indignant when we hear about some of this stuff now. We can laugh now, but in many ways, none of us want kids in DCI or DCA riding exploding buses, drinking bad food and water, and so on. I personally think they deserve better than that by far.

They had a big metal water cooler  which wasn’t nearly enough for 128 people plus staff.  By the time the water was almost gone, bugs had accumulated at the bottom.  I remember being so thirty that I drank the remaining water, bugs and all. 

35 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

As the OP, I ask that a moderator please shut this thread down. Thanks and Happy Christmas.

Busing part of safety but feel free

• Thanks 1

A course for correction lies in the MM contract and staff member employment contract if there is no current staff employment contract, create one.

In these contracts is where expectations are firmed up. Ramifications are spelled out. Concerning staff, volunteer and MM conduct and Health & Saftey. Such as staff notification requirements to patents (ie 2017 Injury Bus Accident). Staff, volunteer and MM reprimand and emergency removal from tour occurrences. These occurrences require immediate parental and dci staff notification.

The new contracts will create staff & volunteer vetting online documentation. Where checklists on all staff and volunteers are certified by the Corps Director. Checkboxes on the vetting process and certification that the person in question has agreed to social media tracking pre-employment and throughout their employment.

In addition, employment requires a video oath putting a face to the name and accessible to the parents. Where they verify the accuracy of the vetting. Verbal acknowledgment to online social media tracking throughout employment. Ensure under oath that there are not any reprimands or suspensions of their teaching credentials in the pipeline that the vetting has not discovered. That they are under contractual obligations to report new allegations, legal or otherwise against them such as DUI, domestic violence, that they are to notify the Corps ASAP.

Question: Does the MM contract relegate HIPA to qualified staff members if not does it need to be there or even considered?

Also do the contracts need to ensure the parents that the bus drivers are also vetted for a drum corps tour. Do the drivers themselves from the various companies involved need an orientation where they are informed of the diversity and inclusion in corps? That if personal hang-ups could get in the way of a sucessful tour, they need to walk away, now.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

2 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

Patience Young Jedi a lot of us are just waking up or taking a nap, there are things to discuss!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1