Pacific Crest will march 2019 Rose Parade

On a positive note, and I don't think this has been mentioned recently PC Crest will be Unit 46 in the 2019 Rose Parade in Pasadena, CA.  They are one of only five DCI Corps to have this honor. They also will perform at the Rose Parade Band Fest at Pasadena City Collage on Saturday the 29th of Dec.  I will be there for the three days of Band Fest and will be cheering them on as well as all the participants.  Band Fest clips usually appear on You Tube a couple of days after the performances.  There are some stellar bands performing Flower Mound, Lassiter, Mercer Island, USMC Composite Band etc. Oh and the bands actually troop the stands after their performance.  Quite the show for $15.

Last year I went there specifically to see Kyoto Tachibana SHS from Japan. They stole the show and the parade and their performance videos have literally millions of views.  They are worth a look.  I also attended their benefit concert at J F Kennedy HS in La Palma, CA.  I actually got to high five several of the "Orange Devils" supposed to be good luck.  The proceeds from the concert went to the family of a CA Firefighter who died in one of the then recent fires.  The Tachibana band director said it was a "Matter of Honor".  The previous visit in 2011 the proceeds from the concert went to the victims of the earthquake and tsunami victims in Japan.    

Have a great time Pacific Crest, I know I will!

• Like 3

Any word on their selections for the parade?  Reprising some of their La La Land show music would be fantastic.  

No mention of their selections for the parade or at Band Fest.  They wanted to march between 200 and 300 current members and alumni.  They have indicated the Band Fest performance will basically be a standstill.  Oh and for $250 to $290 you can have the pleasure of marching six miles.

https://tournamentofroses.com/20-marching-bands-selected-to-join-2019-rose-parade/

38 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

No mention of their selections for the parade or at Band Fest.  They wanted to march between 200 and 300 current members and alumni.  They have indicated the Band Fest performance will basically be a standstill.  Oh and for $250 to $290 you can have the pleasure of marching six miles.

https://tournamentofroses.com/20-marching-bands-selected-to-join-2019-rose-parade/

Ouch had “pleasure” of doing 3-4 at one shot for free.... hope it’s flat.

I marched the Jan 1, 1988 version.  It was a long parade. In addition to the length, there's also the march from the staging area to to official start.  People line up along there too...and since we were midwestern nice, we played for them too.   

You'd be surprised how chilly it feels at 4 AM in the wind, we were glad for our wool uniforms at the time and trash bags over them.  The band from Hawaii next to us just had these crazy thin uniforms.  We were planning to rip the bags off and just dispose of them but we'd been talking with the kids from Hawaii while waiting to step off and our drum major made the call, "Ten-hut". Hats off.  Now carefully pull your trash bag off and pass it down to the right guide."  Hawaii's Drum major "Ten-hut!  Hats off!  Please say thank you for the bags as we've got another 30 minutes or so of waiting!"  

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

When SCV did the parade in ‘04 we trooped up Del Mar (that is the big freeway overpass) to Orange Grove where they “fold” you into the parade between the floats where Del Mar & Orange Grove intersect in a “T”. This is is a high-zoot residential area where lots of people are usually passed out in lawn chairs from the night before. 

The dudes on scooters monitored us as we got in the street, then the DMs took it up a notch. Full block right there at the T-intersection, tight dress, get some warm air into horns, hat brims down, feathers up, ready front (scwack!) SCV bad-assery on high, command given, 4-count “real” high mark time with horn up on 1, then nuclear bomb with 145 brass doing Procession of the Nobles at full “good” volume (not blatt) echoing off the houses. I actually saw (probably hungover) people fall backwards out of their chairs and heard some bystanders shout, “OMG, bands NEVER play for us this early!!” We did...the whole book...the drumlines was on,  too. Gooooood Morning, Pasadeeeena...!!!

We made a lot of new fans that morning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

hah!   I recall being somewhere around mile 5 or so and some drunk lady made it past whatever rope was lining the street.  Stumbled toward our director who was walking alongside us near my rank slurring, "I'm gonna joooooin the maarrchin' baaaaand."   Our director froze, never seen him freak out about anything but that had him frozen.  About that quick she was enveloped by the white suits of parade security.   We laughed about that for years and would walk up behind him and slur out "I'm gonna join the marchin' band!"  Just to annoy him.

• Haha 3

On 12/22/2018 at 8:20 PM, DCVNVET said:

Last year I went there specifically to see Kyoto Tachibana SHS from Japan. They stole the show and the parade and their performance videos have literally millions of views.  They are worth a look.  I also attended their benefit concert at J F Kennedy HS in La Palma, CA.  I actually got to high five several of the "Orange Devils" supposed to be good luck.  The proceeds from the concert went to the family of a CA Firefighter who died in one of the then recent fires.  The Tachibana band director said it was a "Matter of Honor".  The previous visit in 2011 the proceeds from the concert went to the victims of the earthquake and tsunami victims in Japan.     

I remember watching video of Tachibana's show from last year; their dance steps *while playing* were very impressive.

10 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I remember watching video of Tachibana's show from last year; their dance steps *while playing* were very impressive.

Just watch their closer (starts at the 14 min. mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QkL7ur4TXU&t=13m59s