Let The Pendulum Swing Back

I would venture to guess the  majority who have followed drum corps over the years prefers the more traditional uniform, but.........

1. How do you define traditional uniform? I’ve followed drum corps since 1975. There have been huge changes since that time. Styles changed, but so too did colors in many cases. 

2. Since the uniforms are designed with the show in mind, something that has been the case with the color guard since the 1980’s, there is a chance more traditional uniforms could make a return. Remember, we’re talking about style when we’re talking about uniforms and styles change.

3. I can recall a darling of the old school, The Bridgemen causing a stir with their uniforms. VK was considered too casually dressed by many. When the current crop of marchers are in their 40’s plus, they’ll be looking at the uniforms of their day in the same way we look back. 

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I would venture to guess the  majority who have followed drum corps over the years prefers the more traditional uniform, but.........

1. How do you define traditional uniform? I’ve followed drum corps since 1975. There have been huge changes since that time. Styles changed, but so too did colors in many cases. 

2. Since the uniforms are designed with the show in mind, something that has been the case with the color guard since the 1980’s, there is a chance more traditional uniforms could make a return. Remember, we’re talking about style when we’re talking about uniforms and styles change.

3. I can recall a darling of the old school, The Bridgemen causing a stir with their uniforms. VK was considered too casually dressed by many. When the current crop of marchers are in their 40’s plus, they’ll be looking at the uniforms of their day in the same way we look back. 

Very good points. I always loved VK to be honest. They were entertaining which is what it's all supposed to be about. As you said, those of us who marched or have been fans for a long while connect to the uni's as an identity of the corps. I think it's easier to identify with uniform styles (especially for fans who never marched or newer fans,) than to identify with musical styles. Nobody has the same sound stylistically as they used to have to my ear anyways. And that's not a bad thing. I'm pretty sure though that if PR went back to melt your face classical, I would be one of the old farts that would probably say "Now THAT'S Phantom Regiment!"

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

16 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

Let's hope the pendulum swings back so that corps will wear their traditional-yet-updated uniforms so we can recognize them and cheer them on. Isn't that what DC is mostly about?  

Posting about traditional uniforms with a Bridgemen avatar?  My irony meter is pinned at full scale.

• Haha 3

Frankly I was unimpressed with Vanguard's uniform.  Thought it added zero to their show (which was amazing).  Too much credit given to something that isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

I watched a YT video called "Highlights of 2018 DCI Finals" and with the exception of the Vanguard, I didn't recognize a single corps with all the bizarre uniforms. Let's hope the pendulum swings back so that corps will wear their traditional-yet-updated uniforms so we can recognize them and cheer them on. Isn't that what DC is mostly about? 

With the news about sexual predators running rampant in the ranks of major corps, DCI may be brought down. Hopefully, a new organization will take it's place with more traditional and progressive rules. DCI wants all this news to go away. 

XCI 

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

yFrankly I was unimpressed with Vanguard's uniform.  Thought it added zero to their show (which was amazing).  Too much credit given to something that isn't.

Point taken. Could be the wanted them to be unobtrusive and just lay out the forms and not get in the way of the giant props. Seriously.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I too miss some of the traditional uniforms but I think I certainly would have preferred the more modern ones from a comfort perspective. 

Jeff, your comments always make me laugh because we seem to say the same things. It must be "a drummer thing" as my father used to say. 

Things my girlfriend said to me at DCI South this year (her first DCI show) that made me laugh:

"You keep saying things like 'balls clean' and 'p**s clean.' None of those sound clean to me. Why don't all you drum people say like...'Brita Clean' or something?"

"Why do they keep saying "dut, dut, dut?" (She then proceeded to say dut, dut, dut very loudly while jutting her head forward like a rooster clucking)

"It's summer and all of these people are wearing jackets. Like, who wears a jacket in the summer? Wait a minute...you're wearing a jacket too! What the h**l man?!?!" (referring to corps jackets)

"I found my favorite corps thingy!! They're from Denver and I'm from Denver! I'm buying all of their souvies on your debit card. I hope they win." (This is before she had even heard BK play)

"They serve beer at this stadium?!?! How do I not know about this drum corps thing?"

"I played clarinet in high school....this seems a little more....advanced."

"So an entire corps was in the bathroom changing....."

"I just noticed that all of you drum people look like your hands got run over by a truck. What's up with that?"

"So many unitards.....just so many unitards..."

This. Is. Hilarious. 

• Like 1