Let The Pendulum Swing Back

4 hours ago, Stu said:

But the Churchill retort bleeds sarcasm; and you stated earlier that sarcasm is a poor substitute for wit.

Uh-oh; now you state the Churchill sarcastic quote actually illustrates wit.  Doh!

Again, according to an earlier post of yours, you stated that one must not mistake puns for wit; thus you must believe that the pun of yours here has no wit.

The Churchill retort although witty, is NOT Sarcastic, as he meant exactly what he said, not the opposite.  Sarcasm always implies, sometimes more obviously than other times, the opposite meaning.  Sarcasm in a type of irony and not usually funny, as I first stated.

I never made any claim that my pun was witty, just a good example of a pun - nice to see that you got it!.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob P. said:

The Churchill retort although witty, is NOT Sarcastic, as he meant exactly what he said, not the opposite. Sarcasm always implies, sometimes more obviously than other times, the opposite meaning.  Sarcasm in a type of irony and not usually funny, as I first stated.

So now you contend that Churchill meant exactly what he said; that if she were his wife he would have in fact drank the poison and killed himself because he so despised the woman.  Sarcasm is cutting, but not 'always' of the opposite meaning via irony as you contend.  Sarcasm can be satirical; using cutting mockery, ridicule, and disdain to point out someone else's vice. Churchill meant this retort as cutting satirical sarcasm, a quick quip to shut her down from her own satirical sarcasm, and not as a statement of fact.  Moreover, what is and is not funny is purely subjective. But dude, you are on a roll, keep the spinning wheel rotating!!

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, Bob P. said:

nice to see that you got it!.

I didn't but I am way below your intellict. So I will add this since I have no idea what is being discussed here, with all due respect.

Some are on this planet to bring society out of darkness to the bright light of human consciousness and spirituality! They are born with a deep sense of idealism and reality. They are distinguished by maturity, responsibility and intuition. These individuals were born with the knowledge that the rest of humanity should understand the meaning of life through a series of trials and errors. Lets hire some of these folks and have them run dci.

so we went from discussing DCI going a little more retro to this.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so we went from discussing DCI going a little more retro to this.

Am I going to far back in society by bringing

9 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

spirituality

Into the discussion, may be we could get into KARMA oh we already have with GH. Lets see where the spirts guide us next! Because it is a spiritual journy for all of us here on DCP.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sorry 'bout that; ok let's get off this rabbit trail and back to discussing the possible 8-track and 8mm reel to reel future of DCI.

what no 78 LP?

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

Some are on this planet to bring society out of darkness to the bright light of human consciousness and spirituality! They are born with a deep sense of idealism and reality. They are distinguished by maturity, responsibility and intuition. These individuals were born with the knowledge that the rest of humanity should understand the meaning of life through a series of trials and errors. Lets hire some of these folks and have them run dci.

Might as well.  Most of them are out of work and live with their parents.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

what no 78 LP?

Seriously there is a WSM 78 for sale on eBay. No year but must be second VFW win by what’s on the label. $125 IIRC....