Pioneer News From The Top – December 22nd

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

60+ but big cartoon head...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Back to on topic DCI January meetings scheduled for next weekend for those who have not seen the other thread....

Yep, and the question will be whether they decide to take further action regarding Pioneer at this point or kick the can further down the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Galen said:

Yep, and the question will be whether they decide to take further action regarding Pioneer at this point or kick the can further down the road.

You would think someone with a little inside knowledge would be able to give everyone an idea of what direction DCI is leaning on that front. That being said, I know what I would do if I were DCI.

17 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You would think someone with a little inside knowledge would be able to give everyone an idea of what direction DCI is leaning on that front. That being said, I know what I would do if I were DCI.

The question there is how free people are to share what they may know. Somebody may have inside knowledge, but they may not be at liberty to share it publicly and may actually be exposing themselves to legal liability if they disclose it. especially if they're not supposed to have that information in the first place (ie it's classified, subject to an NDA, etc.).

For instance, here's a theoretical situation. Suppose DCI plans to take particular actions against a corps that would result in them not being allowed to participate in competitions, losing membership status, etc. A person learns of this and then posts that information on a public forum, such as DCP, Reddit, etc. Maybe they disclose it to a major newspaper which printed an article. As a result, word of the corps' impending punishment (whether suspension, full ban, what have you) gets back to that  corps' financial sponsors, who decide to take their money elsewhere. The corps, now lacking that base of financial support, isn't able to support its operational costs or pay off debts, and is forced to declare bankruptcy as a result. The person who disclosed this information could well be sued for tortious interference with business (and possibly other things), because their disclosure of information they were not entitled to disclose publicly caused actual financial harm to that corps because their sponsors ended their sponsorships. And that's not taking into account any possible claims of libel/slander/etc. Moral of the story, watch what you say on public discussion forums because they can have real consequences and get people in a whole lot of trouble. Loose lips sink ships, as the saying goes.

Again, that's purely a theoretical situation, but it's an example of how casually or carelessly posting "inside information" can have very real consequences. Yeah, we'd all like to know what DCI is planning on doing. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Indy next week, but at this point, it will become evident in a week or so anyway. Personally, I'm willing to wait- I do have other things going on in my life that are FAR more important that what DCI decides to do with one individual drum corps.

• Like 3

Yep being on board of a group know there is no sense saying anything until all can get together, discus and vote to make it official. Especially as DCI board doesn't live close to each other to talk as a group.

3 hours ago, Galen said:

The person who disclosed this information could well be sued for tortious interference with business (and possibly other things),

Good info along those same lines if someone lied for a buddy on a personal reference and a crime occurred aa result is that person liable? Say they worked at the same place in the past and it was no secret (press) why they were let go and they conveniently forget that in the reference. Or that they know they are part of an elaborate scheme that includes scrubbing the internet? Is the person who altered their online persona committing a crime since their objective is to continue tortious abuse of kids?

Edited by Bluzes
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Good info along those same lines if someone lied for a buddy on a personal reference and a crime occurred aa result is that person liable? Say they worked at the same place in the past and it was no secret (press) why they were let go and they conveniently forget that in the reference. Or that they know they are part of an elaborate scheme that includes scrubbing the internet? Is the person who altered their online persona committing a crime since their objective is to continue tortious abuse of kids?

Good grief; it appears that in your utopian (draconian) world you would be elated if the dishwasher at the bar, who washed the bourbon glass of a drunk guy who killed a child, was also charged as an accessory to thel crime!

Edited by Stu
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good grief; it appears that in your utopian (draconian) world you would be elated if the dishwasher at the bar, who washed the bourbon glass of a drunk guy who killed a child, was also charged as an accessory to thel crime!

I think he was being sarcastic. 

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good grief; it appears that in MY utopian (draconian) world I left a few things out.Like the glass & dishwasher manufacturers, who could have made softer and cooler glass. Then lets on forget the person who drank the bourbon they provided the means to molest. Then the Jack Daniels Company for dirtying the glass in the first place. The Bar owner who served the drink and my date for being a big dork.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Galen said:

it's not kicking the can down the road...it's do what we want or you stay suspended

• Like 2