TOC - Chester 2019

On 12/30/2018 at 11:59 PM, Jeff Ream said:

they can hit the MD parades on the way to Florida....$$$$$$$

As the Buccaneers call it.... "The Maryland Magical Mystery Tour." :laughing:

Great payday for those corps who take part.

• Like 1

As a huge user of public transit, I appreciate knowing the full picture of routes as well as the neighborhoods in which the stations are located.

When Kansas City hosted finals, the long walk from Amtrak to Arrowhead was fine, both before and after.

When the Tour of Champions played Pasadena, the walk was safe from the Gold Line to the Rose Bowl.

Last summer, after leaving Allentown en route to Philly in a car rental, I drove by the Chester venue. The stadium is stunning, but there is no way I would risk a 1.7 mile walk through Chester.

Edited by DeanInChicago
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

As the Buccaneers call it.... "The Maryland Magical Mystery Tour." :laughing:

Great payday for those corps who take part.

Think they used to call it “Paying the Bus Bill” day too....

What is the count Fran, 5(?) parades staggered during the day?

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Think they used to call it “Paying the Bus Bill” day too....

What is the count Fran, 5(?) parades staggered during the day?

Yep... five on July 4th... and one more (Havre de Grace) on another day... either before or after the 4th, depending on how the calendar sets up in a given year.

Big crowds at all those parades.  Has to make it a bit easier on the performers, rather than marching down empty streets. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Barneveld said:

I was only answering the question. I didn't say I endorse the walking option. Next time I won't bother to reply.

You’re taking this the wrong way.  Having a bad day?  I was just giving someone a warning about a seriously dangerous neighborhood.  I’ve done the same thing about other venues in Drum Corps. 

41 minutes ago, DeanInChicago said:

As a huge user of public transit, I appreciate knowing the full picture of routes as well as the neighborhoods in which the stations are located.

When Kansas City hosted finals, the long walk from Amtrak to Arrowhead was fine, both before and after.

When the Tour of Champions played Pasadena, the walk was safe from the Gold Line to the Rose Bowl.

Last summer, after leaving Allentown en route to Philly in a car rental, I drove by the Chester venue. The stadium is stunning, but there is no way I would risk a 1.7 mile walk through Chester.

I also would never suggest walking from downtown Rochester to the stadium when DCA was there.   I’ve seen shoes hanging over high wires.  And billboards seeking information about murder suspects. 

18 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You’re taking this the wrong way.  Having a bad day?  I was just giving someone a warning about a seriously dangerous neighborhood.  I’ve done the same thing about other venues in Drum Corps. 

Not sure where the stadium is in Chester. But Chester is listed as one of the worst areas of PA for crime and unemployment. 

As for Rochester one year took a left out of the stadium and drove thru town. Next day couple of people freaked that I did that. Notice I said drove and not walked

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 11:17 PM, Tim K said:

According to the press release which can be found on the Bristol July 4th website,

"Following some unfortunate problems for Drum Corps International in 2018, they have revamped their policies to focus on the safety of participants. Dan Acheson, Drum Corps International CEO stated "With a new focus on safety, heath, and wellness initiatives throughout 2019, we look forward to presenting this year's tour that incorporates intervals of rest for performers, staff, drivers, and volunteers at various times for each corps throughout the summer." 

These "intervals of rest" mean tour dates have been scheduled around the Fourth of July as follows:

June 29, 2019 Lawrence, MA

July 1, 2019 Lynn, MA

July 2, 2019 Clifton, NJ

July 6, 2019 Orlando, FL

I just had a chance to read this thread.

The term "intervals of rest" is interesting.

The announcement also says "tour dates have been scheduled around the Fourth of July ..."

Rhetorically speaking,does this affect corps ,only as it pertains to the issues with participating in shows ?

Or , is  DCI also recommending,since that's really all they can do,to also limit rehearsal time during these "intervals of rest ? 

1 hour ago, DeanInChicago said:

Smart person! I work in a town near Chester. I would avoid walking through Chester at night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeanInChicago said:

In Montreal, we stayed at a campsite site on the edge of town a stone's throw from the subway. Took us everywhere McGill and the big stadium.
In Miami, after Cadets won I lost my mind. Left the Orange Bowl and got totally lost could not get back to the hotel. Finally pulled into a rest stop, called a cab gave him 20 bucks up front and said we needed to follow him told him there would be a big tip when he got us there. Still living that one down.