TOC - Chester 2019

42 minutes ago, BigW said:

The stadium is located in a place where I really wouldn't want to be walking away from the surrounding parking lot areas alone. I like the actual venue. Even driving off the I-95 exit and driving through Chester itself to the venue, I had to be cautious, Philly area drivers can be a bit unpredictable and crazy.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

It’s right off 95/322 under the Commodore Barry Bridge

Last time I was near Chester area had in laws drive to Philly from their place in West Chester. All I remember is being on a highway and someone pointed and said "that's Chester, for God's  sake DON'T get off the highway around here". Then we went to Philly on a Saturday afternoon and kept hearing pieces of a bouncer who got beat up night before. First thing was hearing Joe got nailed bad. Few hours it was the beaters had to be "pros" with finger on side on nose.

Never went back...

6 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

When are they gonna replace the Commodore Barry Bridge with a cable-stayed bridge? 

Hey it’s only a kid being build in 1974. Ben Franklin is over 90 years old (thank you wiki)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

And the mystery began when you got off the bus 

Dundalk at 8 AM. A fine way to start the day.  LOL.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Dundalk at 8 AM. A fine way to start the day.  LOL.

Nah catching the bus at o dark 30 is a fine way to end the night *ugh*

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

The stadium is located in a place where I really wouldn't want to be walking away from the surrounding parking lot areas alone. I like the actual venue. Even driving off the I-95 exit and driving through Chester itself to the venue, I had to be cautious, Philly area drivers can be a bit unpredictable and crazy.

We went to the show in 2014. Thankfully, we didn't fall for the "park here for $10" folks near the stadium.

We drove into the main stadium lot and parking there was free. (I don't know if that's still the case for this event.)

Not only did we save $10, but we were parked in an area where we could be reasonably assured that our car would still be there after the show. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BigW said:

Ehhh....I don't think that neighborhood is that bad. One of the years I went there, I didn't park in the parking lot. I parked on the street about a block away from the stadium. I was perfectly fine and so was my car, and I drive a G37 coupe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Ehhh....I don't think that neighborhood is that bad. One of the years I went there, I didn't park in the parking lot. I parked on the street about a block away from the stadium. I was perfectly fine and so was my car, and I drive a G37 coupe. 

There actually are a couple of neighborhoods here in Baltimore that almost make Chester look like the Main Line.  :tongue:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

There actually are a couple of neighborhoods here in Baltimore that almost make Chester look like the Main Line.  :tongue:

Here, too.  I’m not even driving through them.   The house I was brought home on the south side when I was born, is nowhere I’m driving around. 

Neighborhoods decline, but they can rise again. 

In the 1970’s Charlestown, MA, once home of the Majestic Knights was once of the most racially tense sections of Boston and many of the ugly situations during “busing” took place there. Today it’s trendy townhouses and chic bistros. 

The St. Rose Scarlet Lancers are before many of our days, though a couple who I know always reminds me they were once a favorite and they did give us DCI Hall of Fame member Jim Wedge, but Chelsea, MA has a history of fires, drugs, and crime, and while it still has a long way to go, it’s becoming home to families and local businesses are beginning to boom. When I taught at St. Kevin’s School in Dorchester, MA long after the Emerald Knights days, crime and drugs were rampant, gangs ruled, especially at night. A row of houses a few blocks away known for drug activity have been remodeled and are now gentrified old Victorians. 

I have said before one reason I am happy Boston Crusaders holds a show in Lawrence, MA, at a beautiful facility but only a stone’s throw away from some rather troubled areas, is it brings something positive to the area. Lots of kids from the Lawrence schools and Haverhill too participate in clinics and families take an interest. I know one year someone gave a mom and dad and their children tickets to attend. Maybe one of those kids will pick up an instrument one day. So if Chester is in a troubled neighborhood, I am not suggesting you park your car in a crime infested area and explore the streets, but outsiders attending an event can make a difference.

Finally, I have never been to Chester, so I cannot speak with any authority on the area, but I did live in “Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin” within walking distance of the old Manning Bowl, referred to as “the Toilet Bowl” to marchers, athletes, and spectators alike until it was torn down and became a Wonder of the World. I was told by fellow spectators how dangerous it was, no one would ever walk those streets, etc. Well, the worst parts of Lynn were not where the Manning Bowl was located, not far granted, but you could walk those streets.