TOC - Chester 2019

9 hours ago, Tim K said:

Finally, I have never been to Chester, so I cannot speak with any authority on the area, but I did live in “Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin” within walking distance of the old Manning Bowl, referred to as “the Toilet Bowl” to marchers, athletes, and spectators alike until it was torn down and became a Wonder of the World. I was told by fellow spectators how dangerous it was, no one would ever walk those streets, etc. Well, the worst parts of Lynn were not where the Manning Bowl was located, not far granted, but you could walk those streets.

My first World Open as a marcher was 1971... I was 13 years old, and I remember walking around the streets near the Manning Bowl with no problem. Then again, I was clueless, so I had no real idea if it was a bad area or not.  :laughing:

1972... my junior corps was at a show in Washington, DC, in the Anacostia neighborhood... very tough streets then. We were mostly suburban white kids from NJ... no real clue about the "vibe" of a neighborhood like that.  So... our friends from the VIPs... a largely African-American corps from DC and sponsor of the show... acted as our "tour guides"... telling us where we could go, where we could not, and accompanying us. They were a really good local-circuit corps, and even better people.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

My first World Open as a marcher was 1971... I was 13 years old, and I remember walking around the streets near the Manning Bowl with no problem. Then again, I was clueless, so I had no real idea if it was a bad area or not.  :laughing:

1972... my junior corps was at a show in Washington, DC, in the Anacostia neighborhood... very tough streets then. We were mostly suburban white kids from NJ... no real clue about the "vibe" of a neighborhood like that.  So... our friends from the VIPs... a largely African-American corps from DC and sponsor of the show... acted as our "tour guides"... telling us where we could go, where we could not, and accompanying us. They were a really good local-circuit corps, and even better people.

Manning Bowl area wasn't what was bad about Lynn.  It was the entire city if you believe the little ditty "Lynn Lynn City of sin, you never go out the way you went in".  LOL

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Tim K said:

within walking distance of the old Manning Bowl, referred to as “the Toilet Bowl” to marchers, athletes, and spectators alike  

And very few stadiums seating could match how the horn lines projected, especially on a cool evening.

42 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Manning Bowl area wasn't what was bad about Lynn.  It was the entire city if you believe the little ditty "Lynn Lynn City of sin, you never go out the way you went in".  LOL

The  Cotton Bowl was no bargain had some concerns about the MMs invading that area. Then the soccer field in Rochester where you need to walk around the block to access the staging area in the back (as a fan).

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

Neighborhoods decline, but they can rise again. 

In the 1970’s Charlestown, MA, once home of the Majestic Knights was once of the most racially tense sections of Boston and many of the ugly situations during “busing” took place there. Today it’s trendy townhouses and chic bistros. 

The St. Rose Scarlet Lancers are before many of our days, though a couple who I know always reminds me they were once a favorite and they did give us DCI Hall of Fame member Jim Wedge, but Chelsea, MA has a history of fires, drugs, and crime, and while it still has a long way to go, it’s becoming home to families and local businesses are beginning to boom. When I taught at St. Kevin’s School in Dorchester, MA long after the Emerald Knights days, crime and drugs were rampant, gangs ruled, especially at night. A row of houses a few blocks away known for drug activity have been remodeled and are now gentrified old Victorians. 

I have said before one reason I am happy Boston Crusaders holds a show in Lawrence, MA, at a beautiful facility but only a stone’s throw away from some rather troubled areas, is it brings something positive to the area. Lots of kids from the Lawrence schools and Haverhill too participate in clinics and families take an interest. I know one year someone gave a mom and dad and their children tickets to attend. Maybe one of those kids will pick up an instrument one day. So if Chester is in a troubled neighborhood, I am not suggesting you park your car in a crime infested area and explore the streets, but outsiders attending an event can make a difference.

Finally, I have never been to Chester, so I cannot speak with any authority on the area, but I did live in “Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin” within walking distance of the old Manning Bowl, referred to as “the Toilet Bowl” to marchers, athletes, and spectators alike until it was torn down and became a Wonder of the World. I was told by fellow spectators how dangerous it was, no one would ever walk those streets, etc. Well, the worst parts of Lynn were not where the Manning Bowl was located, not far granted, but you could walk those streets.

Chester has been a hole for the entirety of my 49 years, 7 months and 26 days on earth

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LabMaster said:

My old DM from DCA's Sunrisers grew up in Lynn... within view of the Manning Bowl.

He survived the city. :tongue:

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

My old DM from DCA's Sunrisers grew up in Lynn... within view of the Manning Bowl.

He survived the city. :tongue:

The old Manning Bowl was Demo'd and replaced with a new one.  Much nicer, still good sound, much improved bathrooms.  Lynn however is still pretty much the same.  Would you believe the old Manning Bowl had The Rolling Stones play there once.  At least I think it was them.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

The St. Rose Scarlet Lancers are before many of our days, though a couple who I know always reminds me they were once a favorite and they did give us DCI Hall of Fame member Jim Wedge, but Chelsea, MA has a history of fires, drugs, and crime, and while it still has a long way to go, it’s becoming home to families and local businesses are beginning to boom.

When I taught at St. Kevin’s School in Dorchester, MA

run on sentence. This as bad as a GH finale.

20 point penalty since it is a new year, new season, new resolutions and you claim teaching credentials. This  must be addressed at the Janual.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I would also like to see each corps have to have menus prepared by a nutritionist

Interesting thought. Sometime in the 90's (as I remember him telling me) my father, who was a food services director for Aramark and stationed at the University of Tampa at the time, stated that he was approached by Suncoast Sound about just such a thing. Now without all the details and dad being gone there isn't a lot of fact checking that I can do, but it shows some validity of your thought. Any large food services company could probably help DCI establish such a thing and help corps plan how to budget for it and make it happen. If you can deal with a college campus feeding 35,000 kids 3 times a day, my assumption would be you're pretty good at organization and efficiency. 

P.S - sorry about my sentence structure. I've been developing curriculum for 80 hours already this week and I'm "structured out."