Calif says no NDAs for sexual misconduct

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Pretty much the same in WA. 

School personnel and districts don't press charges on people they suspect of abuse initially.  We are required by law to report any suspicions of abuse, whether from fellow staff or if we suspect it's going on at home. We're trained on warning signs, and are obligated to report abuse when we suspect it.  Our responsibility begins and ends there.  As long as there is no malicious intent found in our reporting, we are immune from prosecution. 

From there, people who are trained to investigate abuse do their thing. 

That's what mandatory reporting is, and I am thankful it's in place. Leaving it to institutions who work with minors to police themselves regarding matters of abuse is truly idiotic.  

That was part of the mess when people were talking about Penn State. First the PSU does no wrong side claimed that the “other side” wanted PSU to investigate which was not true for the most part. Then it was “if they don’t see it first hand they can’t report anything”. Of course that confuses what you can tell an investigator with what is sworn court testimony. Question is if it was real confusion for some people or just wanted it to go away

Edited by JimF-LowBari

56 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Question is if it was real confusion for some people or just wanted it to go away

Making a giant leap in comparison and not being that well versed in the details of PS. Joe Paterno was my hero followed PS was happy they would come to Giants Stadium for a home game now and then. To see where his legacy is today, I can't even watch the Joe Paterno movie. I know in Joe's case people were abused and whatever happened to Joe was necessary.

In Fred's case hiring Moody by just knowing his past is enough to remove him from the Crossmen, then the news came forth in Tricia's article about the digital footprint debacle. That's the first time I found out about that. It took the need for him to go to a higher level. Just rambling on here.

Being a student of DCP I noticed when casual members weigh in on the deception it's so egregious that their common sense reaction is he needs to go. I think that sums up the man on the streets view.

Since dci in most folks minds did not go far enough with allowing him to keep his position in the Crossmen. Dci sort of painted themselves into a corner revisiting the situation w/o new information. That they didn't use the digital scrub as new information to justify further action. Fred being at the meeting is not a good sign that they plan on doing anything further, I hope I am worng.

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

The victim is the person who was attacked. It may or may not have been on school property; there seems to be a mix of on and off school property in how and where these things happen. What charge could a district press in the criminal sense, if the victim is not coming forward? License suspensions and the like....sure. Just not sure of the criminal side of things.

True, usually the victim has to be willing to testify and the DA has to feel their testimony will be compelling enough to convict or that they would have other evidence like DNA, etc.

I have to now wonder what the percentages of these incidents go:

-unreported at all

-reported but things handled quietly

-Full blown prosecution not convicted

-Full blown prosecution convicted

I guess this is a learning experience for all of us. Personally, I'd rather be learning about other things here.... but with these things, knowledge and understanding are power, and the best any of us can do to make these incidents become far less prevalent is good.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:02 AM, George Dixon said:

this literally has nothing to do with drum corps - and CA loves new laws, don't they?

California is a big progressive state that does pass many new laws each year. Some love them, some don't. We are not one monolithic body of thinkers. We do have our midwest and south called the central valley and San Diego....which vote very differently than the Los Angeles region and and Bay area folks. 

There are two California's, that is for sure. Our voting patterns support this. 

15 minutes ago, deftguy said:

There are two California's

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, deftguy said:

California is a big progressive state that does pass many new laws each year. Some love them, some don't. We are not one monolithic body of thinkers. We do have our midwest and south called the central valley and San Diego....which vote very differently than the Los Angeles region and and Bay area folks. 

There are two California's, that is for sure. Our voting patterns support this. 

PA very, very similar. The interior of PA is quite different from Philly, Pittsburgh, and Harrisburg City in terms of voting and political beliefs as well.

5 minutes ago, BigW said:

PA very, very similar. The interior of PA is quite different from Philly, Pittsburgh, and Harrisburg City in terms of voting and political beliefs as well.

You could probably say that about many large cities around the USA.

20 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You could probably say that about many large cities around the USA.

Sound bite is PA has the conservative “T” across top of state and down the middle but that ignores Harrisburg and Erie (sorry James Carvel). Real difference imo is the urban in the corners and almost Deliverance country in parts of the middle. Not just talking rural I’m talking “y’all ain’t from around here are ya”. Used to be some “not so nice” billboards at the southern border on I-81 about people with different beliefs (political or religious). 

Come to think of it always so kinda dead area for corps.... 

I remember that cartoon man I watched anything that was animated 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

38 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I remember that cartoon man I watched anything that was animated 

• Haha 2