Most Emotional/Hyped Performance You've Ever Seen?

SCV 1997 finals.

1980 FINALS NIGHT... SPIRIT. 

The thread can end with this year and corps. They were amazing that night. Totally ON FIRE!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So many.

Two that come to mind on the DCI side:

1982 Blue Devils at the Bayonne, NJ, show. They were absolutely, positively on fire that night. All cylinders.

1995 Madison Scouts at the Giants Stadium show in NJ. I was the PA announcer that night... field level, 50-yard line.... and holy mackerel, I think the Scouts' final power push in "Malaga" left a negative flashprint of me on the stadium wall. :laughing:  An unbelievably high-energy performance.

• Like 1

I’ll go with 2-7 at 1980 DCI East, beating Blue Devils to set up the showdown at DCI Finals.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 4

I think the year was 1976.. around that year anyway. A relatively new and rising Drum Corps in DCI at the time, the North Star of Massachusetts, were getting some terrific scores for themselves on tour out in the midwest, and were excited knowing they were heading back to Massachusetts to compete in the World Open Championships in Lynn Ma, just a few miles away from the Corps home base.

But on the way home, they had an equipment truck carrying their instruments, unis catch fire, and much of their uniforms, instruments burnt to a crisp and destroyed. No one was injured in the fire ( thankfully ), but the Corps morale as one could imagine was completely devastated, as they would not get to compete at the World Open in front of their family/friends and all the Drum Corps fans to show them how much they had improved since they went out on tour several weeks back. Now the MM's would have to watch the other Corps compete from the stands.

Anyway, when the North Star busses arrived at the Manning Bowl stadium in Lynn and word filtered out what had happened,. several Corps approached the North Star's Corps Director and offered the Corps to utilize their instruments, unis, and go out and compete in the Prelims. The generosity of the other competing Corps is what is best about this activity, imo. The North Star accepted the generosity of their competitors, and put the mish mash unis on, and utilized the competitors mix and match instruments donated for this day for them..

The North Star Corps was as pumped up as one could imagine to get back out on the field of competition, and in the Prelims, the Corps got a standing O, as it entered the field of competition . The performance was totally " on " and absolutely fantastic for themselves in their placements range ( I was in attendance ). It was one of the most emotional performances of a Drum Corps I had ever seen, given the circumstances. Their performance was good enough in that Prelims to have them make Finals at this World Open. Over the next couple of seasons, the North Star improved even more and the Corps made DCI's Top 12, twice. But it was the rising Corps performance at the World Open Prelims in Lynn Ma around '76 that was right up there for me in " most emotional / hyped show performances " in DCI ever.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1999, Manning Bowl in Lynn. It was a small show, but it was towards the end of the season, and it looked as if BAC would make finals. There were three opinions among the folks I sat with: it would happen, mostly BAC alums, it will never happen, alums of other corps, and DCI has it out for Boston, recalling BAC not making finals in 1994 and 27th in 1980. While that was the pre-show talk,  the contest that evening was between Madison and Phantom. Phantom won with a Tchaikovsky program which I enjoyed, but Madison blasted everyone from here to Kingdom Come! Madison could always win with “how loud can you get” and with a Boston crowd that was hyped before they took the field, it was electric. I know someone who lived about two miles from the Manning Bowl who could not attend claim he could hear Madison from his house. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but it wouldn’t have surprised me either.

• Like 2