Jim ott winners through the years

Does anyone have a list of the Jim ott winners through the years as well as the brass caption head? I’m curious to see if there’s certain instructors that have won more Otts or if it’s more random. 

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Here's a starting point.  https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/129456-jim-ott-award/

You're on your own for the missing years.

I've been working on a personal project to track the best horn lines through the years, Finals only (if you can't do it Saturday night, it doesn't matter to me).  I combine the placements for all brass captions and score them by lowest average placement.  I've gotten from 1972 through 2003.  If anyone is interested, I'll post some of the best stuff I've gleaned so far.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

Go for it T4J. Many of us might find your information interesting. Thanks 

I've got a few minutes at work, so I'll post some Blue Devils info... talk about dominant.

Through the first 32 years of DCI (even though BD wasn't around for the first two years) Devils placed in the top 3 horn lines 27 times.  They were 7th in 1974, and 4th in 1987 and 1995.  They had the top horn line 12 times... Cadets are a distant 2nd with five.  Nine times a corps finished first in all horn placements... and BD did it four times, including three in a row from 1980-1982 (the other time was 2003).

I'll get more posted tonight while I'm watching the CFP title game.

I believe BD has 23 brass titles.  I need to update my BD stats spread sheet....will advise.

Edit...found the spreadsheet.

I show BD winning or tying brass 76-77, 79-82, 84-86, 88, 91,93-95, 97-99, 01, 03-04, 07-08, 10, 14  

Edited by 84BDsop

5 hours ago, BigW said:

Not surprised about 1993. Arguably the most sophisticated brass book written to that date. Some seriously meaty stuff in terms of technical challenges.

Well,..it WAS Don Ellis....who seemed incapable of writing in 4/4!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Many great brass books that year.

Very true, especially in regards to effect. More talking about the raw nuts and bolts/Analysis of the BD book. They did win Field Brass in prelims, no surprise to me. Uncertain about finals.