Jim ott winners through the years

42 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Well,..it WAS Don Ellis....who seemed incapable of writing in 4/4!

Actually, "Open Wide" is in 4. :satisfied:

"Great Divide" is in 7+5/8, IIRC...

They did massage Levy's "Chain Reaction" from 13 into 12, a minor quibble I have since I'm rather enamored with the original. I know Hank came in at some point to meet with the corps and discuss the chart with the members.

There's just so much chunky stuff in that book in terms of harmony and rhythm, and insanely understood by the performers in every detail and nuance. Again, I think there are better Effect books from that season... but sheesh, the technical merit... heck, I'd break it down hard-core as an excuse to listen to it again. :whistle:

18 minutes ago, BigW said:

They did massage Levy's "Chain Reaction" from 13 into 12, a minor quibble I have since I'm rather enamored with the original. I know Hank came in at some point to meet with the corps and discuss the chart with the members.

There's just so much chunky stuff in that book in terms of harmony and rhythm, and insanely understood by the performers in every detail and nuance. Again, I think there are better Effect books from that season... but sheesh, the technical merit... heck, I'd break it down hard-core as an excuse to listen to it again. :whistle:

Heh.  My freshman year we marched Time for a Change in 9/4 and then Metheny's First Circle in...whatever that time signature set up is...I read a thesis on it once.  We got known for marching weird time signatures.  So my senior year, we're told "We're doing an Ellis chart again."  All the seniors "Yay, weird time signatures again!"  The music is passed out, it's Open Wide,  "What is this doing in 4/4?  You sure this is Ellis?"

6 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

I believe BD has 23 brass titles.  I need to update my BD stats spread sheet....will advise.

Edit...found the spreadsheet.

I show BD winning or tying brass 76-77, 79-82, 84-86, 88, 91,93-95, 97-99, 01, 03-04, 07-08, 10, 14  

Agreed.  I'm amazed at how from 79-81 they didn't lose a single sub-caption, and those were some incredible horn lines they beat over those years.

3 hours ago, BigW said:

I wanna hear BD take on  33 222 1 222!

Very brief and vaguely interesting factoids:

’84 SCV went on 4th from last in Finals and took an uncontested 1st in Field Brass in the Ott Trophy “ménage a trois” that year. 

‘85 SCV beat BD/Cadets in Brass (who tied for 3rd) by 0.4 at Semis...the next night, BD/Cadets tied for 1st in Brass, beating SCV by 0.4. That was one helluva swing. 

Edited by TRacer

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Heh.  My freshman year we marched Time for a Change in 9/4 and then Metheny's First Circle in...whatever that time signature set up is...I read a thesis on it once.  We got known for marching weird time signatures.  So my senior year, we're told "We're doing an Ellis chart again."  All the seniors "Yay, weird time signatures again!"  The music is passed out, it's Open Wide,  "What is this doing in 4/4?  You sure this is Ellis?"

Evidently, Ellis was either encouraged by the record company or on his own... ended up aping Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good" with "Open Wide". One of Two-Seven's better selections that I always enjoy listening to.

10 hours ago, BigW said:

Open Wide is in cut time. Looking at the score right now for big band.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Open Wide is in cut time. Looking at the score right now for big band.

Ah, you're right, it is cut time.   I think it feels like 4/4 in a lot of ways once you've been marching the dang thing.  Especially after doing some 1-2, 1-2, 1-2-3, 1-2 marching for Time for a Change.   One of our rival schools' jazz bands did a 4/4 arrangement of Time for a Change during my senior year.  They played a non-competition event at a college we also played at and we applauded as it was close enough for the nostalgia to hit.  Our director ribbed theirs by yelling "Now play it in 9!" after they were done.   One of use yelled, "and march it!"