Denise Bonfiglio / Youth Education in the Arts

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Even better the business side will be better than ever

Very much agree. There's an understanding in place now that bringing in people who have specific knowledge and talent to solve problems and make things work as a team building on individual strengths is a far better way to operate than one person who thinks they know it all and micromanages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No question Denise has the professional credentials, is steeped in drum corps both past and present, and if you have had the opportunity to meet her, she is a wonderful person. As I read her profile and saw she had retired from the business world, it reminded me of many teachers and administrators I know in the public school system. They love their jobs and have a great deal still to give, but the paperwork, red tape, and pressures get to be too much. Often they take early retirement and work in less stressful environments such as charter schools, Catholic schools, or smaller private schools. They have more room for negotiating job descriptions and can afford the pay cut while still doing what they love to do. Lots of folks who marched drum corps from the business and educational world are reaching retirement, have skills corps can use, especially administratively, and probably do not have checkered backgrounds. Maybe this could be an untapped resource.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, njthundrrd said:

She will work to establish a best practice People Management function for YEA!

That is a powerful statement, she didn't say HR department, HR is not there for the employees they protect the company. HR should be called the antipersonnel department. People Management a great way to describe their function. Good for YEA!

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

That is a powerful statement, she didn't say HR department, HR is not there for the employees they protect the company. HR should be called the antipersonnel department. People Management a great way to describe their function. Good for YEA!

You bring up a very good point. In a conversation with my Father, who worked in Industrial Engineering, the move from "Industrial Relations" To "Human Resources" was jumping the shark. The emphasis went from how to get everyone to work well together, understand one another and  working more to cooperate became more of treating people as expandable crops (resources) from his viewpoint. And at YEA, indeed, people were very, very... expendable. 

22 minutes ago, BigW said:

(resources)

Exactly I for one have been a resource for many years it was not because they liked me or cared. Human Resources is becoming a negative term and not a good way of describing People Management. Then again HR employees are being replaced with Articifical Intelligence so there's some Karma. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BigW said:

"Human Resources" was jumping the shark.

Nice. Calling humans a resource is lumping people in with the other resources that it takes to run their business. However, there is one big difference every other investment depreciates every day. Human resources are the only assets that appreciate over time. That is till you appreciate too much and it better for them to appreciate someone younger.

Denise was teaching the rifles in 79 when I marched. She of course was amazing. Her mom and dad were the most wonderful people. They didn’t know me but they opened there home and I stayed at their house in the spring of 79. Beautiful people, the Bonfiglio’s! Congratulations Cadets!!! 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2019 at 12:54 PM, Bluzes said:

Indeed it is. It used to be that HR would also train managers on how to coach and develop staff...but no longer. My company is going through a huge change management process right now. For their entire existence, they've promoted from within but never trained their managers on how to actually manage PEOPLE...only the business. That's one of the reasons that I was brought in was to develop the model for them to use. I was shocked when I found out that the vast majority of our folks who had people reporting to them had ZERO experience in managing anything but numbers. Manage the behaviors and the numbers will come in line. 

This addition by the Cadets seems to be an absolute dream fit. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

sThis addition by the Cadets seems to be an absolute dream fit.

Well, put! The bigger the company the less human HR becomes. They use an HR dashboard reaches out electronically, makes you ack all their canned training no room for any HockeyDad type questions.

Edited by Bluzes