Denise Bonfiglio / Youth Education in the Arts

23 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Indeed it is. It used to be that HR would also train managers on how to coach and develop staff...but no longer. My company is going through a huge change management process right now. For their entire existence, they've promoted from within but never trained their managers on how to actually manage PEOPLE...only the business. That's one of the reasons that I was brought in was to develop the model for them to use. I was shocked when I found out that the vast majority of our folks who had people reporting to them had ZERO experience in managing anything but numbers. Manage the behaviors and the numbers will come in line. 

This addition by the Cadets seems to be an absolute dream fit. 

It's because you manage "things" and lead people.  Many who are taught to manage those "things" are never taught how to lead the people required to manage the "things".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daave said:

It's because you manage "things" and lead people.  Many who are taught to manage those "things" are never taught how to lead the people required to manage the "things".

Absolutely! You can scream at employees to get your way and it DOES in fact work for a limited period of time. But eventually, they'll realize they're paddling in circles and get frustrated. The worst part is when the employees realize that the managers don't have the answers or the training to get things going in the proper direction. Leaders who actually have the background to be successful are few and far between and, IMHO, they are built through experience and error...not born. 

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Absolutely! You can scream at employees to get your way and it DOES in fact work for a limited period of time. But eventually, they'll realize they're paddling in circles and get frustrated. The worst part is when the employees realize that the managers don't have the answers or the training to get things going in the proper direction. Leaders who actually have the background to be successful are few and far between and, IMHO, they are built through experience and error...not born. 

You do manage people.  But you have to learn or understand how people function and how to best enable them to function in the role they are in.  You are right in that screaming at them gets only so far then any possible success will end.  If your process is that you believe screaming works you need to move on or be moved on.  The worst boss I ever had was a screamer/yeller (Harvard grad) and he fully believed that yelling at people from Time to time was a necessary strategy and motivator.  

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

You do manage people.  But you have to learn or understand how people function and how to best enable them to function in the role they are in.  You are right in that screaming at them gets only so far then any possible success will end.  If your process is that you believe screaming works you need to move on or be moved on.  The worst boss I ever had was a screamer/yeller (Harvard grad) and he fully believed that yelling at people from Time to time was a necessary strategy and motivator.

It's a mixed bag it seems now. 21 years ago when I stopped teaching and went into the corporate world, it seemed that the success of the company was a significantly more important driving factor for employees at all levels. The style in which those employees were managed varied widely (of course,) but we all drank the cool aid (for the most part.) Now, the motivating factors are different and you have to learn what motivates each person to do their best and for their own reasons. managers also seem to have more of a "not my monkey, not my circus" mindset. As several have said, this particular match with Cadets is a pretty rare lightning in a bottle match. 

On 1/12/2019 at 11:00 AM, Daave said:

eh - you do both with people, manage them AND lead them.  Just my experience.