Pioneer's DCI Membership Has Been Revoked

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I appreciate your dedication to your corps. Oh and for the record, this is my real name, not a faceless warrior.

and yet you totally ignore the issues that led to Pioneer's suspension....that the corps had created an unsafe environment for kids, and in fact kids were chastised for reporting these issues by the Leader himself, hat on head. If the administration had done the basics to ensure safety, both from any type of sexual misconduct that may have been reported, to making wise hiring choices ( aka people not on the registry) and had addressed the various health and welfare concerns, they would not have been put into this position. And when called on these issues, instead of correcting them, they dug their heels in. One could say the Leader made his own situation worse in his statements to the press.

Your statement above ignores all of that. When you can admit that this issue caused Pioneer to be suspended, then we can have a real conversation. otherwise, you're ignoring the real problem, not that they didn't bend to design trends etc.

Maybe some should have listened to those who MAY have had a bit of knowledge as to why staff, members, etc etc left over the years instead of strongly defending Roman and the Pio way. Well, learning is a good thing. 

It is good to hear another side of this and Of course there are those ( depending on the time frame ) had a good experience or at least learned something. Sometimes even the bad experience teaches us when moving on.

Edited by GUARDLING

14 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Maybe some should have listened to those who MAY have had a bit of knowledge as to why staff, members, etc etc left over the years instead of strongly defending Roman and the Pio way. Well, learning is a good thing. 

It is good to hear another side of this and Of course there are those ( depending on the time frame ) had a good experience or at least learned something. Sometimes even the bad experience teaches us when moving on.

Almost always two sides of every story and need to hear both. But having said that.... imo came down to keeping a corps active or trying to keep members safe.... no contest right call was made 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And sometimes, brickbats deserve to be swung hard. Whether anyone is offended, in this situation it's been deserved. One shouldn't be offended by the comments here, they should be offended by the situations that happened to cause the comments to appear in the first place. Care to talk about the young man with the staph infection that ended up hospitalized after the corps brushed it off? Care to talk about the kids told to pretty much suck it up when they shouldn't have been rehearsing or performing? Care to talk about the blatant DCI Code of Conduct and Ethics violation by  corps leadership? Care to discuss the instructor brought in that was on the sex offender list and kept on until management was forced to get rid of them under pressure, not because it was the right thing to do to get rid of them, and it would have been the right thing to do not to hire them in the first place? 

Evidently there are some who feel that any of this shouldn't be brought to light and kept within the organization and stifled which resulted in the DCI Code of Conduct and Ethics violation. Evidently, corps management didn't read the document, or didn't understand it, or didn't think it applied to them. Then, when they were asked to get out as a result of this, they've balked. I can't see anything wrong with criticizing Pioneer management and have a total disconnect with those who think it's wrong to do so. Personally, I think one can get on here and laud the management for their brave decision to stand up to DCI after they violated the Code of Conduct and Ethics that are pretty simple... and after they played fast and loose with member safety and well-being for years...and I find it offensive. More smoke screens and circling the wagons. Keep blowing the smoke, it doesn't work anymore.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, copyright said:

I appreciate Ryans points about those on this forum (who go by their own name or not) who simply lob hand grenades to fuel their own egos. 

Those who have followed this thread know the details of the issues with Pioneer and don't need to be reminded.

Actually they do, because the more people that defend the corps while glossing over the issues and focusing on design issues 

35 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Actually they do, because the more people that defend the corps while glossing over the issues and focusing on design issues 

I could care less about show content and design, it's an attempt to obfuscate and redirect things away from the real problems.

I’m pretty certain no one is “celebrating what has happened to the Pioneer organization.”  That’s ridiculous. And if Pioneer never returns, the focus of your anger should be directed at the person responsible. And I’m not talking about DCP warriors hiding behind keyboards. I’m talking about Roman, who by refusing to follow the steps necessary to bring the corps back as prescribed by Dan Acheson, has created this situation. This isn’t 1970 anymore. You don’t tell an underage kid to “rub some dirt on it and get back in there.”  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I’m pretty certain no one is “celebrating what has happened to the Pioneer organization.”  That’s ridiculous. And if Pioneer never returns, the focus of your anger should be directed at the person responsible. And I’m not talking about DCP warriors hiding behind keyboards. I’m talking about Roman, who by refusing to follow the steps necessary to bring the corps back as prescribed by Dan Acheson, has created this situation. This isn’t 1970 anymore. You don’t tell an underage kid to “rub some dirt on it and get back in there.”  

agreed. I don't think anyone wants a corps to go down for any reason. In fact I cried watching the corps i liked least as a competitor did their last performance in 2013. Why? because i knew there would be no 2014. 

No one is celebrating Pioneer's suspension. there's a lot of people ###### ONE PERSON won't do what needs to be done to keep them ALIVE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Irish-Kiltie said:

I have not visited this board since I stopped actively marching DCA several years ago.  In light of recent events, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to have a look around.  Not surprisingly, little has changed since I left.  I estimate 50% of the posters here are just on the board to take cheap shots at others, spread rumors and share their "facts" regarding subjects about which they actually know very little.

It is sicking to read some of the derogatory comments that have been posted here about the Pioneer organization as a whole and specific members of the management team.  Post after post from nameless Keyboard Warriors coming here to celebrate what has happened to the Pioneer organization.  I am in no way going to claim that I know everything about the history of the corps or every little fact about what has gone on the last few years.  I can however tell you that if keeping a corps on the field year after year after year was easy, EVERYONE would do it.  Many new corps can't even make it to year two, if they can even get off the ground at all.  I have no doubt that mistakes were made by the Pioneer organization to reach this point, some of them serious ones.  Some of those mistakes include alumni of the organization not supporting the corps as best we could and simply taking it for granted.  But that is no way excuses some of the things that are being posted here.

I feel your pain.  Some of the criticism here has been tangential (show design), or just plain false (making up rules to put Pioneer in DCM finals).  Other posts have been of a personal, hateful nature, and I prefer not to give them even one more atom of oxygen by referring to examples.

Meanwhile, even you admit mistakes were made.  We must learn from those mistakes.  Jeff Ream and BigW gave pretty good summaries of those, but they left one out... oversight from a board of directors.  The days of corps being controlled by a single person must come to an end now.  For a number of reasons, these organizations require strong and independent BODs who hire people to run things, and provide genuine oversight in case they are not run properly.  Despite all the mistakes made, there would still be a Pioneer in 2020 if the organization was willing and able to restructure in that manner.  They simply refuse to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Outdated show concepts were a symptom of the larger sickness... 

• Like 1